Thorburn's

themagicspanner

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys.

Pretty pleased with the way it's looking.

I've rolled out another slab for one of the ends so I should get started on that tonight. I might mock up a roof to see how the whole thing's going to sit against the back edge of the layout. I've nor really decided where it's going to sit exactly - particularly with respect to the track.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

First up for tonight is a black and white version of the photo in my previous post. I think this has the feeling that I'm striving for with this layout. A quiet, misty morning with a sense of space,

2015-01-03122456_zps9374a29e.jpg

Secondly, the postman arrived at work today with a couple of wee presents to myself... 2 of the new SPA wagons by FTG models.

2015-01-05191107_zps10301ea5.jpg

I think this'll be about the right state for Thorburn's: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bolckow/5697424648/

Lastly, I've done a fair bit of work around the concrete outside the shed.

2015-01-05222652_zpsbe09e681.jpg

2015-01-05222714_zps842bc30a.jpg

2015-01-05222724_zpsc4123128.jpg

Edited by themagicspanner
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul.

I'm pretty pleased with the way things are looking and glad to be getting back into it after a few week of doing other things.

Mike

No worries :) and I think a break always helps as it keeps the interest up.

Cheers, Paul

Concrete area looks good, I need to do something similar on mine.

What do you think of the SPAs? I've just ordered a couple for my P4 project - I assume the axleguard units pivot like on the Bachmann air braked stock?

I used Das on card painted with Railmatch concrete. Personally I think it's a little too green but generally I'm happy with the outcome although I had hoped that it would crack as I flattened the card out. Not going to try again now.

The SPAs look good to my eye with pretty crisp detailing. Not sure exactly how the Bachmann SPAs are articulated but these have the springs as part of the underframe and only the W-irons turn. I'll be gluing them up at some point.

Anyway, I literally took them out of the box, popped some wheels in and sat them on the track.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I've followed from the start, but not commented until now. The scene you're creating hers is brilliant. It's great to see how much can be done in a relatively short area and your detailing is fantastic. Very much looking forward to how it goes onwards.

...I had hoped that it would crack as I flattened the card out.

You can guarantee that it would haev cracked if you hadn't been wanting it to!

Kind regards, Neil

Thanks Neil.

I really wanted to challenge myself with the amount of detail I could get into the scene without it feeling claustrophobic. For me there are too many modelers who try to cram as much onto a board as they can and lose any feeling of space. If you look at a real railway there really isn't that much there and all of the adjacent buildings tend to be much further away than you'd think.

Mike

After a bit of a break from working on the granary building I decided it was time to crack on and get one of the gable ends done.

I had already rolled and dried a slab of DAS a while back so it was a case of cutting out the windows and doors, scribing the stonework and then splicing it onto the front elevation with superglue and DAS.

Starting to look like a building now.

2015-01-11114005_zpsde55203c.jpg

Mike

• Like 7

Thanks guys.

Pretty happy with the ways things are working out. Need to order some micro strip to start on the windows... Can't wait to start that job!

Anyway, no time for any modelling this week as I've been at the other end of the country and I'm away again this weekend. Need to try and be better organised for work trips away so that I can take something along to work on in the evenings.

Mike

• Like 2