Thorburn's

themagicspanner

• RMweb Gold

Yes, that's taken a few hours to get that far and that's only about 1/4 of the front elevation. Worth it though and who cares how long it takes - it's modelling and I enjoy doing it.

Mike

I know what you mean, but is worth it though.

Here's one I did earlier (using tile grout, but the effect is the same).

post-7854-0-23209500-1415480378.jpg

post-7854-0-90638200-1415480385.jpg

• Like 1

Well, progress on the granary is moving along at a pace now (a very slow one).

My intention is to model 3 of the sides and all of the internals. If a job's worth doing it worth doing right...

2014-11-14221426_zpsb64dff75.jpg

2014-11-14221441_zps08970a67.jpg

In other news there has been a very long new arrival in the yard:

2014-11-14212015_zps6985f732.jpg

2014-11-14212027_zpsb2322094.jpg

2014-11-14212043_zpsbe57e13a.jpg

2014-11-14220716_zpse1a00adf.jpg

The Heljan Cargowagon was bought with the intention of decorating it with some local graffiti. Have to say that the model is pretty disappointing for something that's so expensive new.

• Like 10

Just a few shots of the first attempt to paint the front elevation of the granary.

The stonework looks a bit too regular so I think I'll do some remedial works and maybe smear in some DAS clay to make it a little more irregular.

2014-11-17194858_zpsfe74e5c4.jpg

2014-11-17194907_zpsfb53db82.jpg

2014-11-17194931_zps7b037936.jpg

I haven't cut out the central door as I'm worried it'll be a bit on the breakable side before I build the rest of it.

Mike

• Like 16

Cheers Paul.

On reflection I'm pretty happy with it although I think some areas need a little bit more work.

The next thing to think about will be the windows. I had imagined getting some etched brass frames made up but the cost is too much as far as I can tell and because I didn't have the frames, and I wasn't that careful about the opening size, all the windows are slightly different sizes! A lesson for future reference.

Overall I'm happy that the 'slab of DAS' method works well enough for me so I'll press on and get the sides done.

Mike

• Like 3

Hi Mike,

Cracking layout, the attention to detail is superb, the work on Granary looks good. I've got 6 POA's I think in the loft for a future project which will involve a small scrap yard and will hopefully be P4, your layout has certainly give me a few ideas.

Cheers

Simon

Nice work on the Granary Mike. A small block of wood cut as a template for window apertures works well. Smear a little Vaseline around it's outer edge as a release agent to you can remove it without damaging the DAS when dry.

Keep up the good work.

Andy.

ps; Agreed, the stonework looks a wee bit too regular, some big stones in lower wall and getting smaller toward the roofline would help.

Thanks Andy.

I had toyed with the idea of using blocks but was worried about what would happen as they clay shrunk and how it was going to make rolling the thing flat a little more awkward.

You're right about the sizes of the stones but that's something that can be fixed with a skim of clay and a sharp implement.

Mike

• Like 2

Cheers Paul.

On reflection I'm pretty happy with it although I think some areas need a little bit more work.

Mike

Hi Mike

The granary looks good to me. Scribing the stonework always beats using embossed plasticard.. I'm just too lazy to do it!

I'm not sure if you said the building was going to be in use or possibly partly derelict like the photos?

If so, and there are areas of stone work you're not so happy about - what about a small area covered with ivy or similar vegetation to hide it?

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Paul.

The next thing to think about will be the windows. I had imagined getting some etched brass frames made up but the cost is too much as far as I can tell and because I didn't have the frames, and I wasn't that careful about the opening size, all the windows are slightly different sizes! A lesson for future reference.

Overall I'm happy that the 'slab of DAS' method works well enough for me so I'll press on and get the sides done.

Mike

When I made my signal box I used etched card windows, they look really good and are easily glued onto clear plastic, if you want I'll try and find out the name of the seller and I'll message you their details.

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Premium

The Heljan Cargowagon was bought with the intention of decorating it with some local graffiti. Have to say that the model is pretty disappointing for something that's so expensive new.

Interesting, when they were first released I bought a couple and was reasonably pleased with them - they were quite a gap in manufacturer's ranges for anyone modelling the 80s and 90s.  Have to admit I've never looked particularly closely at them in terms of accuracy and detail.  Is there anything in particular which stands out? 

I'm not sure if you said the building was going to be in use or possibly partly derelict like the photos?

I'm pretty keen to have it in the condition it is in now. In use but with a few alterations from it's heyday.

When I made my signal box I used etched card windows, they look really good and are easily glued onto clear plastic, if you want I'll try and find out the name of the seller and I'll message you their details.

That sounds interesting.

Interesting, when they were first released I bought a couple and was reasonably pleased with them - they were quite a gap in manufacturer's ranges for anyone modelling the 80s and 90s.  Have to admit I've never looked particularly closely at them in terms of accuracy and detail.  Is there anything in particular which stands out? 

I'm not sure it was so much the detail I was disappointed in, more the overall feel and quality. I've seen other folk describe them as being like 1980s Lima models!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well it looks good to me Mike, I think any time we try and copy something that's real we doubt our abilities, we just have to remember it's only a model and nothing can be 100% accurate. I tell myself that everyday and slight differences make things unique to our own layouts :)

Keep up the great work, Paul