Thorburn's

themagicspanner

Hi Mike, I've just caught up with this and as I love shunting Layouts I think this is a little beauty and will work well.

The puddle now looks really great.

Oh and SORRY for all the likes I've just hit you with, but  I just had to have a read all though.

All the best.

Mike,

Lovely job on the greenery. Quite a few layouts I've seen make static grass look more like Boris Johnsons hair-do! You have made it much more realistic. I'm afraid that I have to confess that I shall be copying quite a few of your techniques when I finally get going, as the scenic application looks ideally suited to an MPD in its last few years! Thank you once again for the inspiration,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Cheers Jock,

Quite a few layouts I've seen make static grass look more like Boris Johnsons hair-do!

Now, I like that!

I'll try to get some decent pictures taken this weekend if I can. There's not much light where I've got the layout sitting at the moment but I'm going to move it at the weekend.

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike coming along wonderfully, I love the fence, I need one like that myself so might have to borrow that idea off you mate, I'll carve your name into one of the panels though in recognition ;)

Cheers, Paul

Cheers Jaz. Always good to have you popping in to have a look.

I'm pretty happy with the water. So much so that there are another couple of puddles under construction. The only annoying thing about doing the water with the perspex is that it's almost impossible to embed anything in the water. Worth it for the reflection though.

Hopefully more pictures tonight.

• Like 2

Afternoon Mike,

The pictures speak loud and clear - very realistic! Can you recal the Lanarkshire Models part number for the buffers as I think they look right for the BR period at Hurlford.

Keep up the good work,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having been following progress for a couple of weeks, has now spurred me on to getting some modelling down myself and have made a start on a small diorama myself...

Have plans / ideas for a couple of new layouts, but need to get some more C&L point chairs / sleepers which will need to wait until I go to Warley (with Orchard Road) and need to get some wood for the baseboards!

At least I feel I can do something and your modelling has certainly given me something to think about!

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments guys. 

Jock, the buffer stops are the 'Highland Standard' BS09. Totally inappropriate for my location, but I liked the look of them.

Not made any modelling progress this weekend as I was away on a 'fact-finding mission'.

I made a quick visit to John Thorburn & Sons on Saturday morning. After telling the young lad in the shop what I was up to he was more than happy for me to have a look around.

here are some photos of the Granary.

2014-10-11103253_zps41e8f408.jpg

2014-10-11103435_zps9b219935.jpg

2014-10-11103623_zpse95538bc.jpg

I think I'll spend a bit of time drawing this out to see how it's going to work in model form, then create a mockup with the photos printed on the outside to see how it looks on the layout. I'm not sure where it's going to go yet so it would be good to have something I can play about with before committing to the model.

Mike

• Like 9

The granary looks perfect for the layout,especially the side shown in the third photo -

if you can recreate that well worn slightly "knocked about" look that the building now has.

Was going to ask if it would be modelled in low relief then read that you're going to play around to see how/where it best fits in.

Cheers

Alan