Thorburn's

themagicspanner

Just spent ages reading through this thread and i have to say its one of the best small shunting layouts i have seen.

The detail and scenics are outstanding and the stock is equally impressive.

I wish you lived nearer as i would have loved to have had this at our Little Layouts exhibition.

Really great work and look forward to seeing more.

Neil

Thanks Neil. I'm pretty happy with the way things are progressing and I'm glad you like it.

Here's a wee bit of tonight's progress.

2014-10-12164722_zps39703ead.jpg

2014-10-16213857_zps23fdc7c1.jpg

2014-10-16213931_zps52767f23.jpg

2014-10-16214025_zpsb10e1684.jpg

2014-10-16220936_zps3289d2fd.jpg

I'm particularly happy with the way the track looks in that last shot. I spent a bit of time highlighting the sleepers in gloss black to suggest that the oil stays wet for a bit longer on the wood than it does on the mud.

I've also had my first shot at a twisted wire tree. The paint and PVA mix is still wet but you get the idea.

• Like 13

I think the track is superb and using the clay is something im looking at trying in the future.

The clutter looks great to, everything ticks every box for me.

A little run down trackside hut would look pretty cool to, bit of junk on the roof and the odd bit of faded white graffitti tag.

Stunnung work and love the video

I think the track is superb and using the clay is something im looking at trying in the future.

The clutter looks great to, everything ticks every box for me.

A little run down trackside hut would look pretty cool to, bit of junk on the roof and the odd bit of faded white graffitti tag.

Stunnung work and love the video

Cheers Neil.

The whole premise of the layout was based on the idea that I didn't want to have to do any ballasting, hence the muddy industrial setting. Not that I'm no good at ballasting, I just hated when I had so much to do on Tarbhit.

There are going to be a few fairly dominant buildings in the background but an old hut, as you describe, right at the front may be just the ticket. I'm keen to keep the sense of space at the front although I would like to give the sense that the viewer is looking into the yard from outside, hence starting on some trees.

Mike

• Like 3

When I was walking along the canal this evening I can across a really nice looking plant, the top part of which was dying back. Hmm, I thought. That looks like a pretty convincing bit of scrub that would be perfect for the front area of Thorburns...

2014-10-19231941_zps938375a4.jpg

I think I'll have to head along the canal again.

• Like 7

The show was good. A nice local atmosphere.

Thanks to Davy for signing me up to MERG... I think it was all this flashing LEDs and the prospect of knowing what on earth to do with a servo!

Anyway, it looks as though the pressure's on to get this model at least mostly complete by next year.

I've always believed that you should try to avoid using natural materials in models because they don't scale well.

That was until the last couple of days when I started collecting bits of plant to 'plant' on the layout.

On the way from the bike shed this morning my eye was attracted to a particularly nice bit of twig and into my bag it went.

2014-10-20203542_zps6e2f54f7.jpg

2014-10-20204057_zps4d182887.jpg

Some of the bits I pulled off the tree stump were scattered about on the grass. 

2014-10-20204144_zps091fd848.jpg

A new puddle has filled up overnight too. Must have been all of that rain at the weekend. Good excuse for a gratuitous reflection shot...

2014-10-20204228_zps322bfaf8.jpg

• Like 12

The old tree looks perfect in that location. You certainly couldn't model something as realistic as that.

The secret is to be able to recognise something which will scale down well to 4mm.

Reminds me of an article in Railway Modeller many years ago... how to make trees from dried yarrow.

Alan

Edited by 60091

Cheers Alan,

Yes, that's the secret. Not every bit of twig of the same size, even from the same plant looks right. I've even been back to check if there any other suitable bits.

Interesting info about the dried yarrow. I guess the equivalent these days would be the sea foam which I used on Tarbhit. I thought it was passable in N gauge with lots of flock but I knew it wasn't going to be up to the job in 4mm when I'm trying to model bare trees. I've used is in a couple of places so far to represent small bushes but I'm not sure about them. I think I'll use more of the random plants I found along the canal.

Mike

• Like 2

Building work has started but not on the granary.

2014-10-22220549_zps4d67f30a.jpg

Here's a general shot of the layout

2014-10-22220517_zps5733e538.jpg

And an arty shot of the foreground!

2014-10-22220423_zpsc6d5949f.jpg

The static grass machine made an outing tonight for blocking in more of the front portion of the layout. Thinks are coming together quite nicely.

• Like 11

Some plant parts do scale down well, simply cos they are a scaled down version of the real things big bits.

What I've noticed, whilst scouring the verges of all the footpaths in Edinburgh, is that there are quite a number of plants that become quite two-dimensional once they get to a size that could be useful for modelling in 4mm.

My next experiment is going to be with heather.

• Like 2

Lokks great, nice to see an overall shot too, great scenics and i like the small building at the rear corner

Great job

Cheers Neil,

The building in the corner will joined by another few as time goes on. I've never been that confident with buildings so I'm going to take my time to create something I'm happy with.

Lots of other mini projects to be getting on with too.

I built up a Will's Vari Girder the other night. A totally disappointing representation of a riveted girder in my opinion (I'm a bridge engineer mind). I won't go into the deficiencies right now, but lets just say I'll be ordering the one by Masokits.

Mike

• Like 3

Tonight I managed to extend the shed out to the back of the layout, creating an apex in the roof. I was a little disappointed with the way the sheets butted together, leaving a pretty obvious joint.

The door got some warning stripes, mainly because I love they way they look, and the whole thing got another coat of paint and some weathering. All it needs now is a roof...

2014-10-24225813_zpsfa448e77.jpg

2014-10-24225736_zps1681347c.jpg

2014-10-24225723-2_zpsb8a985da.jpg

2014-10-24225753-2_zpsde6e5532.jpg

My next focus is going to be on creating a steel rack. I'll be using the Wills transparent corrugated roof light material for a bit of variety. It's also thin, unlike the normal stuff.

2014-10-11103716_zps6a8735d5.jpg

Edited by themagicspanner
  • Like 8