Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

How does this version differ from the preserved version? 

It looks pretty much like the preserved one did last time I saw it running (a good many years ago, unfortunately) and rather less faded than its current appearance.

How much it resembles any of the liveries carried during the 40 years the class was in service with the LSWR is another matter. As on other railways, each Locomotive Superintendent had his own ideas on the subject but the Implementation of those ideas took place over protracted periods so the term "LSWR Livery" is insufficient of itself.    

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

So would be ok to use in 1980s ish setting ?

Any discussion about the exact shade of green apart, I'd say it looks the part.

IIRC the loco also reverted to BR livery for a while during that decade so you could alternate between the two if you so fancied.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

The shade of LSWR green is different from the shades on the Hornby terrier, T9 and two M7s. It does not match any of the three colours in appendix 4 of HMRS Livery Register no3 LSWR and Southern. This does not mean it is wrong as there were several other shades of LSWR green.

I bought a professionally built LSWR T3 which is in the same green as the Oxfordrail Adams Radial. I think it is one of the lighter shades of Adams passenger engine livery applied between 1885-95. The LSWR locomotive liveries seem to be a minefield

I stand to be corrected, but the green used is to match the Preserved loco at the Bluebell, not to be an exact LSWR green livery. It is meant to portray the Loco in the preserved condition. One oddity on the Oxford Adams Radial generally is a ring of rivets around the dome flange, there are none on the real loco. A close look and there are the remains of holes there though, patched and welded over?

The Loco has the correct slide bars, changed from the other earlier Oxford radial, which had twin slidebars.

The coal rails are correct for the preserved loco. I do wish the makers would try to get a more realistic coal load, too plastic in appearance!

Both versions are now run in and working well.....Hornby Southern livery next?

Stephen.

Any discussion about the exact shade of green apart, I'd say it looks the part.

IIRC the loco also reverted to BR livery for a while during that decade so you could alternate between the two if you so fancied.

John

Thanks John, 

That was the idea :) Be nice to have a different preserved loco on my layout 

The loco spent a brief period of time in BR black straight from service, with crests removed, much in the same way that Fenchurch and Birch Grove were initially presented. I don't have any of my Bluebell reference material with me Oop North so can't give precise dates but it was repainted in to the LSWR livery relatively early on. I was not aware of the loco being repainted in BR black after this point, though will happily be corrected.

I can only ever remember the loco being in its current livery and as far as I'm concerned, this is what is represented by the Oxford and forthcoming Hornby models. The loco appears to have spent some time in a darker version of the livery - as I think can be seen on the class' Wikipedia page, and elsewhere on the internet (sorry, not too sure on the rules regarding posting other people's images so tend to avoid it). It may infact just be the current livery before fading? Or a trick of the light played by the cameras of the 80s? But I feel that photos of the engine from the early 80s don't match that of the Oxford model.

I was pleasantly surprised by a club member's Oxford radial, the second BR release, though I am willing to hedge my bets for the Hornby model to see which is better to my eye, taking account for the price difference. Oxford's model certainly looks the part and I would like to support this new player in model railways.

The Oxfordrail livery looks correct for the current livery of the Adams Radial on the Bluebell Railway.  It is a co-incidence that the model has come out just as bluebells are beginning to appear. In Wikipedia there is a picture of 488 dated 25th October 1975 in a darker shade of green with more elaborate lining. This is similar to the livery of the Hornby M7 245 that is preserved at the National Railway Museum at York.  If Hornby produced a radial in this livery people may buy both versions.

One of the videos shows 488 with a LSWR coach in salmon pink and chocolate brown livery on the Bluebell Railway so it would be possible to create this scene is miniature as a present day scene without having to alter the radial to its state in LSWR days.

The loco spent a brief period of time in BR black straight from service, with crests removed, much in the same way that Fenchurch and Birch Grove were initially presented. I don't have any of my Bluebell reference material with me Oop North so can't give precise dates but it was repainted in to the LSWR livery relatively early on. I was not aware of the loco being repainted in BR black after this point, though will happily be corrected.

I can only ever remember the loco being in its current livery and as far as I'm concerned, this is what is represented by the Oxford and forthcoming Hornby models. The loco appears to have spent some time in a darker version of the livery - as I think can be seen on the class' Wikipedia page, and elsewhere on the internet (sorry, not too sure on the rules regarding posting other people's images so tend to avoid it). It may infact just be the current livery before fading? Or a trick of the light played by the cameras of the 80s? But I feel that photos of the engine from the early 80s don't match that of the Oxford model.

I was pleasantly surprised by a club member's Oxford radial, the second BR release, though I am willing to hedge my bets for the Hornby model to see which is better to my eye, taking account for the price difference. Oxford's model certainly looks the part and I would like to support this new player in model railways.

I was going by this from Wikipedia............

However the final example, 30583 (née 488), was purchased by the Bluebell Railway, chosen because of the three it was the one retaining the original pattern of boiler. After arriving at the line under its own steam it performed sterling work in two different LSWR guises, and in BR livery, up until 1990. At present it is displayed as a static exhibit as extensive overhaul (probably involving replacement of the boiler barrel) is required before it can steam again.

On both the Oxfordrail model and the prototype the green on the boiler and the green on the tanks is the same colour. Perhaps the colour on the boiler looks different due to reflections. Judging by the simplified lining the livery of both the prototype and model is an attempt to recreate Adams pea green as applied between 1885 and 1895. I have amended my post in view of the subsequent comments.

Edited by Robin Brasher

I was going by this from Wikipedia............

However the final example, 30583 (née 488), was purchased by the Bluebell Railway, chosen because of the three it was the one retaining the original pattern of boiler. After arriving at the line under its own steam it performed sterling work in two different LSWR guises, and in BR livery, up until 1990. At present it is displayed as a static exhibit as extensive overhaul (probably involving replacement of the boiler barrel) is required before it can steam again.

Fair enough! That confirms my thoughts about the two LSWR liveries. I have searched deeper and found a solitary photo of the loco in BR early crest, double heading with the USA tank. The photo seems to be from 1990.

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform
  • Like 1

On the subject of the Adams Radial and LSWR liveries I think that Oxford have done 488 in the as preserved livery which I think is meant to portray the Adams pea green livery that he used on passenger locomotives from about 1897 to 1917. After Drummond took over from Adams , he , that is Drummond changed the passenger loco livery to a slightly more elegant livery with more lining. This Drummond livery has been very well produced by Hornby on their last release of the M7 in LSWR livery. The earlier M7 done by Hornby was in the Urie sage green livery. Which was a later , about 1917 up to grouping, when the newly formed Southern Railway under Maunsell changed the livery yet again.

Hope this helps. So to summarize, Adams pea green, Then Drummonds' royal or tartan green, then Uries' sage green, all in LSWR days.

Cheers,

Chris

The Oxfordrail livery looks correct for the current livery of the Adams Radial on the Bluebell Railway.  It is a co-incidence that the model has come out just as bluebells are beginning to appear. In Wikipedia there is a picture of 488 dated 25th October 1975 in a darker shade of green with more elaborate lining. This is similar to the livery of the Hornby M7 245 that is preserved at the National Railway Museum at York.  If Hornby produced a radial in this livery people may buy both versions.

One of the videos shows 488 with a LSWR coach in salmon pink and chocolate brown livery on the Bluebell Railway so it would be possible to create this scene is miniature as a present day scene without having to alter the radial to its state in LSWR days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_stock_of_the_Bluebell_Railway#/media/File:1520smallRSBR.JPG  is this the one  mentioned ?