Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

For additional information on the three new liveries for the Adams Radial announced today see http://grahammuz.com/2016/01/24/oxford-rail-announce-3-new-adams-radial-0415-class-liveries-and-new-gwr-dean-goods-locomotive-and-wagons-2/

Graham,

thank you for the comment in your blog.

OR76AR006 number 3520 in the Southern Railway Lined Olive Green livery with double slide bars and Drummond boiler as between January 1934 and January 1940. Note the version pictured is a pre-production sample and subject to change (perhaps the green is a little light?).

I certainly agree that the illustration here appears very light for a Maunsell Olive Livery. It is much more reminiscent of the Urie LSWR green (very like Hornby used on their T9).

The livery schemes from Adams to Drummond, to Urie and then Maunsell certainly were very complex for the LSWR locomotives (and figuring out exactly which shade of green they were).

Perhaps, given all the research you have done on these locomotives, (and for whom), this is not the right place to share the information, but is it possible that a Urie livery was used on the Adams Radial and temporarily updated with a "SOUTHERN" badge for number 3520 after grouping?

Having said that, it's nice to see two different "Southern" liveries being offered by the manufacturers of plastic RTR Adams Radial tanks.

• RMweb Gold

3520 had a boiler change in 1934 hence me also stating on my blog that the livery depicted her between January 1934 and January 1940 ( when she gained unlined Olive green) so it would have been olive green in 1934 not a hang over from LSWR livery.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have EKR No5 stalled blocking the level crossing at Eythorne with an East Kent bus stuck on either side. I have a suitable Park Royal Leyland TD5 on route 88, and a Dennis Lancet kit on route 78 to fulfil the bus duties. Just need to work on the freight stock or passenger coach I might need.

• Like 2

Also another late BR one cat. no. OR76AR004. 30582 this one.

Thankfully this appears to be a photoshopped 30583. We assume this will have correct slides bars and radial truck wheels.

Will be tempted by the green'un

N

• RMweb Gold

So if the green one would - just - fit a wartime layout does anyone make suitable coaches for a Lyme based layout??

The ex LSWR, Maunsell 58' rebuilt coaches being produced this year by Hornby are correct for the Lyme Regis branch.

• Like 1

It looks much darker than the OO Works one pictured here: http://www.ooworks.co.uk/#/past-models/4568653184

To my mind the one from OO works looks darker steering towards a brown green while the Oxford one heads towards a lime or yellowy green (akin to LSWR).

It dies look fairly light in black and white photos, unfortunately you need to know precise colours before hand. There are not many sources on the subject of EKR greens however.

This model interests me, due to my Kent origins, the fact that the preserved member is this particular loco etc. The only thing is I will then have 4 models of the engine!

• Like 2

The ex LSWR, Maunsell 58' rebuilt coaches being produced this year by Hornby are correct for the Lyme Regis branch.

So, let me just make sure I've got this right before I go and order anything...

1: OR76AR006 Adams Radial (Southern livery) 35210 (yes I'd probably need to renumber it for one of the Lyme ones but that's no big deal)

1: R4720 SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt (Ex-LSWR 48’) Nine Compartment Lavatory Third Class Coach, SR Olive

1: R4717 SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt (Ex-LSWR 48’) Eight Compartment Brake Third Class Non-Corridor, SR Olive 

ought to be about right?

• Like 1

So, let me just make sure I've got this right before I go and order anything...

1: OR76AR006 Adams Radial (Southern livery) 35210 (yes I'd probably need to renumber it for one of the Lyme ones but that's no big deal)

1: R4720 SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt (Ex-LSWR 48’) Nine Compartment Lavatory Third Class Coach, SR Olive

1: R4717 SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt (Ex-LSWR 48’) Eight Compartment Brake Third Class Non-Corridor, SR Olive 

ought to be about right?

According to Oxford's publicity, the number is 3520, it is in olive green (though it hardly looks it in the photo) and it IS one of the 'Lyme ones' (as you put it !), so not sure why you'd need to renumber it.

In pre-war SR days,the other was 3125; earlier, they were 0520 and 0125. 3488 did not appear until after the war and was never (as far as I know) in olive green.

According to Oxford's publicity, the number is 3520, it is in olive green (though it hardly looks it in the photo) and it IS one of the 'Lyme ones' (as you put it !), so not sure why you'd need to renumber it.

In pre-war SR days,the other was 3125; earlier, they were 0520 and 0125. 3488 did not appear until after the war and was never (as far as I know) in olive green.

Ah splendid, as I had the wrong number I assumed I'd need to renumber but if it's right then that's great.

Coaches ok as well?

• RMweb Gold

Ah splendid, as I had the wrong number I assumed I'd need to renumber but if it's right then that's great.

Coaches ok as well?

To make up the correct 2 coach set in olive green you will need R4717 8 compartment brake third (as you suggested) but it should be paired with R4719 6 compartment brake composite (not R4720) to make up 2 coach set number 45. The Hornby website descriptions have not yet correctly caught up with what the development team have advised me that they are actually producing. They are detailed on my blog here http://grahammuz.com/2015/11/26/Hornby-announce-full-2016-range-and-the-addition-of-an-sr-cattle-wagon/

An eagerly awaited model and whether to buy from a new manufacturer or wait for Hornby?  I was sceptical but encouraged by the Model Rail review.

Unfortunately, I too have had problems with a late logo BR version.  The retaining screw for the front bogie fell out in a long tunnel section which closed the line for some time!  Finding the screw wasn't easy either. 

Like DAD, the main irritation for me was the 'walking pace' speed at full power on my analogue Cab Control system and I wondered if the time had come when dear old analogue could no longer work a current spec locomotive?  I bought mine from Hatton's so I phoned them and they were happy to take the model back and give me a refund.  Having given them time to receive my loco I called to see what their verdict was and they concluded that mine had tested OK and that these locos do run very slowly.  The Oxford Rail website does say the model has been "geared to reflect scale speed operation" but even so, it ought to have enough power to pull 2 coaches up a moderate incline.  Sadly this is where it failed miserably and ground to a halt.

I concluded it would be far better to wait for the Hornby model.  Good service from Hatton's though and I've pre-ordered with them.  As for Model Rail, I like the mag and Chis Leigh's review was, as always, very detailed but I would have liked a heads-up on the running speed and potential problems with gradients.

Bob

At full power, mine has the same speed as a Terrier tank. Mind you, I use old fashioned Hamlet & Morgan controllers which I tend to think have a little more grunt than modern day ones.

Edit: ok the terrier tanks are slightly faster but not much in it. A terrier moves off at one quarter turn, the radial one third. Both are brought within the past 2 months and not run in. The radial is quieter and smoother than the terrier,

Edited by JSpencer

An eagerly awaited model and whether to buy from a new manufacturer or wait for Hornby?  I was sceptical but encouraged by the Model Rail review.

I concluded it would be far better to wait for the Hornby model.  Good service from Hatton's though and I've pre-ordered with them.  As for Model Rail, I like the mag and Chis Leigh's review was, as always, very detailed but I would have liked a heads-up on the running speed and potential problems with gradients.

Bob

Thanks for your comments. I do my best to give as much detail as I can but reviews have grown steadily in size and are sometimes 4 or 5 pages now, and it still isn't possible to say everything that I'd like to say. I frequently have to cut whole paragraphs that I've written, in order to fit the available space. I do actually have a dynamometer car but it is calibrated for 'HO' rather than 'OO'. I don't have any gradients on my current 'OO' layout but Model Rail currently has a new test track nearing completion and that will have a lot more facilities for such tests. (CJL)

Edit: ok the terrier tanks are slightly faster but not much in it. A terrier moves off at one quarter turn, the radial one third. Both are brought within the past 2 months and not run in. The radial is quieter and smoother than the terrier,

Sorry to go off topic, but you might find your Terrier a little quieter if you run it in, and then lubricate (the instruction sheet tells you which places).  I use Peco Powerlube, applied with a needle (the type that you sew shirt buttons back on with).  My oldest Terrier runs slightly better and quieter than the newer two.  Even with running in and lubrication, they won't be the quietest models, though.

By the way, thanks for the information about your Oxford Radial.

Thanks for your comments. I do my best to give as much detail as I can but reviews have grown steadily in size and are sometimes 4 or 5 pages now, and it still isn't possible to say everything that I'd like to say. I frequently have to cut whole paragraphs that I've written, in order to fit the available space. I do actually have a dynamometer car but it is calibrated for 'HO' rather than 'OO'. I don't have any gradients on my current 'OO' layout but Model Rail currently has a new test track nearing completion and that will have a lot more facilities for such tests. (CJL)

It must be a measure of the quality of your reviews that, despite drowning in magazines, I will indulge myself in another Model Rail just to read one – even when I already have the model in question.

Sorry to go off topic, but you might find your Terrier a little quieter if you run it in, and then lubricate (the instruction sheet tells you which places).  I use Peco Powerlube, applied with a needle (the type that you sew shirt buttons back on with).  My oldest Terrier runs slightly better and quieter than the newer two.  Even with running in and lubrication, they won't be the quietest models, though.

By the way, thanks for the information about your Oxford Radial.

I agree, I have 7 of them, the oldest being made by Dapol themselves some 20 years ago. However to keep the comparison fair, I used my most recent KESR one.

• 2 weeks later...