Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

According to EHattons OR76AR003 Adams Radial 488 in LSWR livery is due between February and March 2016. I wonder if Oxfordrail will make any improvements to the model in view of the criticisms of the BR version.

I doubt they'll make any change to the 'lump' under the boiler!  Considering their new Dean Goods looks at the moment to be an excellent prospect it's such a shame they took such a disastrous step with the Adams.  I was looking forward to purchasing several, but I'm now in the position of hoping the Hornby version comes along.  I would hope though that it's already well on its way to production (after the traditional Chinese New Year hiatus!)

• RMweb Premium

According to EHattons OR76AR003 Adams Radial 488 in LSWR livery is due between February and March 2016. I wonder if Oxfordrail will make any improvements to the model in view of the criticisms of the BR version.

Robin,

With respect, anything scheduled for release in February / March 2016 already exists, and may well be in this country.

No chance of any modifications.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I am bound to agree with Adams442T.  I would have bought several, just as I intend to buy several Dean Goods.  I can think of at least 3 versions of the Radial I could use with various projects (LSWR, SR, & military).  In lighter and more colourful liveries, the black block under the boiler will be even more obvious than with the black BR version. 

Incidentally, I face the same problem with a pre-Group liveried conversion from a Hornby 14XX.  The point there is, I am doing a bodge on £25 worth of donor chassis designed 40 years ago and where there is no RTR alternative. l am less inclined to buy a new model to modern standards at full price and find the same cosmetic issue, especially as there will be an alternative.  Yes, £90 is a lot better than £110, but the price differential does not make up for the black block under the boiler in my eyes.  It just means that I will probably buy 2 Hornby instead of 3 Oxfords.

If some one comes up with a cheap, simple, idiot-proof way to get round that problem with the Oxford Radials, I'll happily reconsider.

I read somewhere (probably on RMWeb) that there will be slight modification to the bogie to prevent some of the issues reported with the first batch stalling out with wheels spinning in the air on points.

I solved that problem by a simple mod allowing to the trailing axle to move upwards. A few strokes with a needle file did the job. The axle now behaves like the prototype in that the springs allow it to go UP as well as down! The two springs are very tiny and easily lost, so take great care.

Tod.

Thanks for your comments. I do my best to give as much detail as I can but reviews have grown steadily in size and are sometimes 4 or 5 pages now, and it still isn't possible to say everything that I'd like to say. I frequently have to cut whole paragraphs that I've written, in order to fit the available space. I do actually have a dynamometer car but it is calibrated for 'HO' rather than 'OO'. I don't have any gradients on my current 'OO' layout but Model Rail currently has a new test track nearing completion and that will have a lot more facilities for such tests. (CJL)

Chris,  It's good of you to share your perspective on the review and very much appreciated.  Many thanks.  Bob.

Continuing my thread of the Radial not having enough speed to take 2 coaches up a reasonable gradient:  [Analogue Cab Control through H&M Duettes]

Has anyone tried a re-gearing or have any other suggestions that might be useful?  I have a spare Portescap Motor.........

Looks like the early BR black ones are in at Hattons

"Oxford Rail OR76AR002 Adams Radial 4-4-2T 30584 in BR early black is now in stock and ready to purchase Oxford Rail OR76AR002 Adams Radial 4-4-2T 30584 in BR early black is now in stock and ready to purchase "

Colin

I have 30584 for review. At a quick glance it looks to be better assembled. It has the different front frame style and also has black handrails which look much better. Of course, the motor-mounting block is still the same, but frankly, I wouldn't let that put me off - I remember when all locos were solid right the way along under the boiler....(CJL)

• Like 1

I have 30584 for review. At a quick glance it looks to be better assembled. It has the different front frame style and also has black handrails which look much better. Of course, the motor-mounting block is still the same, but frankly, I wouldn't let that put me off - I remember when all locos were solid right the way along under the boiler....(CJL)

Are the wheels the same - on pictures of the first release the flanges looked overly large/ deep?

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the images on Rails website,this looks to be a distinct improvement on the first release.I do agree with sp1with regard to the wheel profiles even on this release though.Makes it appear 'clunky'.and lacking a certain refinement.Still,at £84.50 (post free) a considerable bargain.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

Are the wheels the same - on pictures of the first release the flanges looked overly large/ deep?

The wheels - all the main parts are the same. The front bogie has had a mod to prevent it fouling the buffer beam and lifting the driving wheels - a mod which Tim said he would make when I pointed the potential problem out to him. (CJL)

• 3 weeks later...

My second version arrived yesterday but not tested until today. Oh what a difference!! Not only the improvement to the front bogie, but the rear axle too The balance is on the drivers (where it should be) and a change of gearing(?) It is more spritely, taking me a bit by surprise on my short test track. Am I just lucky or did Oxford Rail take note of some of the negative reviews of the first one? I hope it was the latter and a lesson for the "big boys"- pay attention to your customers, we pay your wages!!

Well done OR, keep it up and thank you. 

• Like 1

Just purchased one of the Oxford Adams Radials, and I found no issues with speed or haulage, the max speed is quite low, but no problem unless run on a vast mainline model, totally right for branch line uses.

It takes four coaches with ease, but I noticed the "radial axle" needed very slight spring adjustment, and the bearing eased, to allow for transitions to slopes, if they are too sharp. On a well graded line no issue. No DCC is fitted, just DC.

The oddity is that the loco drivers and other bogie wheels have slightly different flanges, and they are way beyond the RP-25 type in flange depth. However they run fine on Peco code 75 FB, although I will be changing to Bull head as soon as Peco get around to delivering it. I am loath to machine down the wheels flanges, as I do not know what they are made of, and they might be difficult to be re-blackened. The wheels are reasonable in tyre width for OO, and all had the exact back to back measurement.

I think the front bogie needs side springing, it is a bit too "loose" at the moment, and my new layout has no fierce curves so it should stabilise the front better. I may also add a proper radial bearing to the rear, there is space with a bit of machining to fit a floating, sprung radial bearing on a short pivot bar

I think for the price the loco detailing and finish is quite exceptional, bar under the boiler, which I have not taken apart as yet to see if it could be re-machined. The motor appears to be in the way from the drawing. It is a pity that this issue was not addressed by Oxford's designers.

Obviously curious to see the rival Hornby version, but I hope they have improved the motors they use, the Oxford is good in this area, it's very quiet and smooth. Several recent Hornby locos I have seen are quite a bit noisier, and do not run as well at crawl speeds.

Stephen.

Edited by bertiedog

• RMweb Premium

I just tried one on SMP track with no problems, I haven't got any C&L.

I suspect these wheels have been made to a NEM profile rather than the RP25 we have become used to. It would make sense if Oxford have been making models for a European customer. Or do European models now have finer flanges?

I just tried one on SMP track with no problems, I haven't got any C&L.

I suspect these wheels have been made to a NEM profile rather than the RP25 we have become used to. It would make sense if Oxford have been making models for a European customer. Or do European models now have finer flanges?

Thanks - I can hear my wallet creaking.....

I have just tried the Adams on C&L and it works OK, but is almost running on the chairs, so be careful with track assembly especially points. It runs on all the current Peco types.

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog

It catches the chairs on C&L track, mainly on curves, although it is OK on Peco Code 75. I tried one and was pleased with the running qualities, could live with the motor showing  but the flange depth was a no no. If it had been the only release I would have probably turned down the drivers and replaced the bogies, but with the Hornby one coming, and knowing that its wheels will be fine, and the fact that it was a "marginal" purchase for me, I sold it on and will see what the Hornby one manages. Its a pity they had to put such deep flanges on an otherwise good  model.

I have just tried the Adams on C&L and it works OK, but is almost running on the chairs, so be careful with track assembly especially points. It runs on all the current Peco types.

Stephen

Thank you. If (and it's now a big if) - I buy one it will have to run on handbuilt copperclad track built to (gasp) 00-SF.....everything else I have runs OK......

Plain track will probably be SMP, but I do have some C&L

It catches the chairs on C&L track, mainly on curves, although it is OK on Peco Code 75. I tried one and was pleased with the running qualities, could live with the motor showing but the flange depth was a no no. If it had been the only release I would have probably turned down the drivers and replaced the bogies, but with the Hornby one coming, and knowing that its wheels will be fine, and the fact that it was a "marginal" purchase for me, I sold it on and will see what the Hornby one manages. Its a pity they had to put such deep flanges on an otherwise good model.

Thank you - that sort of confirms what I suspected- and as I will not be using Peco track I wonder if I would be better of waiting for the Hornby one....