Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

I don't have an Oxford Radial but do run locos on a layout built mainly using SMP plain track but with some C&L.

Everything I have is fine on the SMP but a number of relatively modern r-t-r locos have wheels that did contact the rather chunkier chairs on the C&L, notably on the tenders of my Bachmann WD and Collett 2251; in both cases (and a couple of others that don't immediately spring to mind) I have fitted Markits wheels to cure the problem.

John

If it is catching the C&L track, then it can be warping of the base etc., or bad moulding of the chairs. Quite easy to cure, break off a flat fine needle file and mount about an inch on a wood jig than fits the rail top. The file is set to file to the correct chair top height, just go around the track as laid. With any track it is worth making a simple gauge to test the chair height anyway. It goes with always checking Peco points very carefully and polishing the blades with 5000 grit abrasive to remove burrs etc.

I also solder a fuse wire jumper hidden under the blade joint, allowing them to be fully painted. The hinged blade is also bonded to the main side rail. Rather than gum up the blade snuggling against the rail with paint, I use gun black in this area.

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog

The text of the actual email is interesting in that it says that only limited numbers of the LSWR liveried loco will be available, and those directly from Oxford Rail's website.  So it seems that model shops will not have them available.

"The Adams 0R76AR003 is releasing next week. We have limited numbers available from our website. We have no further availability for general distribution."

A glance at 30583 on the front of the latest Railway Bylines is recommended for anyone wondering on the impact of the lack of daylight under the boiler on the Oxford model, nice glimpse of a hedgerow on the far side clearly visible. Certainly going to look pretty odd on green liveried models, could that explain the limited supply of the LSWR one.

The text of the actual email is interesting in that it says that only limited numbers of the LSWR liveried loco will be available, and those directly from Oxford Rail's website. So it seems that model shops will not have them available.

"The Adams 0R76AR003 is releasing next week. We have limited numbers available from our website. We have no further availability for general distribution."

May be sold out to dealers pre-orders?

Edited by Martin_R

I'd like to hope so, but the impression I took from the email is that OR have only the direct website purchase stock available at present.

A glance at 30583 on the front of the latest Railway Bylines is recommended for anyone wondering on the impact of the lack of daylight under the boiler on the Oxford model, nice glimpse of a hedgerow on the far side clearly visible. Certainly going to look pretty odd on green liveried models, could that explain the limited supply of the LSWR one.

I think you may be right.  I certainly will await the Hornby version, which I hope is still going through, and which will save considerable 'cut and shut' operations on the Oxford version.  A great shame as with their lead onto the market they could have 'cleaned-up' with a decent version.  Instead of something which harked back to the 'bad old days' of Tri-ang!

My understanding is that after honouring existing trade orders the small remaining stock will be available from the OR website. No more will be available for further trade orders.

It is a limited edition effectively sold out to the trade, but with a small number available direct from the OR website acting in a retail capacity.

Edited by mikeharvey22

I think you may be right.  I certainly will await the Hornby version, which I hope is still going through, and which will save considerable 'cut and shut' operations on the Oxford version.  A great shame as with their lead onto the market they could have 'cleaned-up' with a decent version.  Instead of something which harked back to the 'bad old days' of Tri-ang!

The bad old days of Tri-ang..Hmm..., I presume you are only referring to the boiler bottom, which on the whole is a very minor issue with the black livery versions, but will be an issue on green livery. I very much expect the Hornby to be better at the higher price, but you cannot trust them with motors, they always economise on them.

As the Adams runs in it gets better and better, and decent running is just as important than minor appearance problems.

The bad old days of Tri-ang..Hmm..., I presume you are only referring to the boiler bottom, which on the whole is a very minor issue with the black livery versions, but will be an issue on green livery. I very much expect the Hornby to be better at the higher price, but you cannot trust them with motors, they always economise on them.

As the Adams runs in it gets better and better, and decent running is just as important than minor appearance problems.

What is wrong with Hornby motors ? never had any problems with any of mine . Some complained re the Cock O The North Motor mine luckily has been fine.

• RMweb Gold

Running qualities hardly matter to those who scarcely bother to run a model in, while appearance is everything. Nevertheless, with Hornby's version seemingly just as far off as ever, OR are increasingly making a killing here with those who must have one. And the prices on ebay and elsewhere are more attractive than some other contemporary models. An encouraging start to their toe in the OO loco water. 

It was the Cock O the North that pointed to the problem, too small a motor giving poor slow running in the examples I examined. The min standard these days should be 5 pole skewed slot motors with a flywheel if there is space. Or have devoted design coreless motors, which have no problems with pulsed control. Coreless tend to be a bit jittery as they are so responsive to applied voltage, but this is cured with an internal mass added to the core or a flywheel added to the gear train,(or adding electronics to the motor)

Given half a chance Hornby fit plain three pole motors, non branded Chinese motors, as do many other makes. But the better commissions have decent motors these days

There is still a myth that older motor designs were worst, they were not, just badly made! My standard is set by the 1948 Lindsay motor used in the Lindsay EMD diesel, 7 pole skewed slot ring magnet.....It can crawl at about a foot a minute or less, no noise, and still reach a full scale speed, all on straight DC, no pulse, no feedback.

Feedback is no problem for coreless, it just needs adjustment to suit the larger feedback from coreless designs.

Several projects I am picking up on at the moment are using a three pole motor, but the three pole in question is a Mitsumi Japanese can motor type, widely available on Ebay at the moment for under a pound each! The reason is they are so well made! Given a decent gear train they suit smaller 4mm locos, or can be doubled up for larger locos, and they are double ended as standard,

At the prices Hornby charge they should supply decent tough motors, equivalent US models coming from the same factories have the better motors, why can not Hornby specify better. I deeply suspect that they do not have the technical knowledge in the company to do so these days. Sad, when CAD helps with the appearance, but then they drop in a cheap motor.

Stephen.

Running qualities hardly matter to those who scarcely bother to run a model in, while appearance is everything. Nevertheless, with Hornby's version seemingly just as far off as ever, OR are increasingly making a killing here with those who must have one. And the prices on ebay and elsewhere are more attractive than some other contemporary models. An encouraging start to their toe in the OO loco water. 

Thanks to this forum, I was able to sort out the running problem with my black version. There are a few niggles, the worst of which is the bottom frame of the motor blocking the daylight under the boiler; as has been pointed out, it will likely look worse on the green versions. With the running problem sorted out, it is now a beautiful runner – better than the Kernow O2 or the Hornby J50, for example. None of the niggles are likely to appear in the forthcoming Janus, which I expect, so long as Oxford doesn’t somehow make a mess of it, to be an exceptional model at a decent price.

Only as an example, the Mitsumi 3 pole 12vdc motors on ebay, about an inch long, width fits inside brass frames, £2.59 for 5.... post free from China, although they are Japanese made. Even comes with a worm fitted! Mitsumi were always a quality maker, I suspect these are surplus types from a discontinued use, like VHS tape ejector mechanisms! Several suppliers list them at present, and I bought enough to see me out on modelling!post-6750-0-08492900-1459690312.jpg

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 1

Well,as maybe......but mine hasn't given any trouble either.In fact no Hornby motor....be it 5 pole or 3 pole.....has.Gears and pickup are another matter,however.

I confess to feeling subdued. Probably I’m in the wrong topic but I have complained that Hornby three-pole motors are inconsistent, whereas the five-pole are always good. Then along came my J50. What a delightful thing to work on! It comes apart a treat. There in all its glory is a five-pole motor and a flywheel to boot.

Now I don’t want to overstate the case because the J50 is smooth at quite a low speed but at a very low speed, it sticks and I can see the motor slowing as it rotates. I have freed the motor from the gears and the problem is the motor, not the gears or grease. Somehow, Hornby has managed to source inferior five-pole motors. Going by past performance of Hornby five-poles (consistently good), someone has put a lot of effort into spoiling things.

Only as an example, the Mitsumi 3 pole 12vdc motors on ebay, about an inch long, width fits inside brass frames, £2.59 for 5.... post free from China, although they are Japanese made. Even comes with a worm fitted! Mitsumi were always a quality maker, I suspect these are surplus types from a discontinued use, like VHS tape ejector mechanisms! Several suppliers list them at present, and I bought enough to see me out on modelling!attachicon.gifMitsumi.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up! Would you be able to post a picture of yours against something more obvious in size - like a scale rule perhaps?

Surplus motors from a discontinued use being used in model railways is nothing new - the Tri-ang X04 motor was originally used for reconaissance cameras on Spitfires!

Edited by RJS1977
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We're in danger of indulging in a crossover topic.I can't comment on an Oxford Rail Adams tank because I don't have one . I considered way back at the NEC Warley Show that the Hornby example was the one I then judged would better suit me.Current Oxfordrail releases would seem to be an improvement on the first one. Performance on track is always a variable....DCC or DC control.....feedback etc..but I have to take the comment on the J50 seriously as the motor was removed.Again I have no J50,so I have no yardstick to measure it by.I don't recall adverse opinion on it on the Hornby thread.Maybe you got a duffer ?

Maybe I need to buy both ....tongue in cheek ?

Only as an example, the Mitsumi 3 pole 12vdc motors on ebay, about an inch long, width fits inside brass frames, £2.59 for 5.... post free from China, although they are Japanese made. Even comes with a worm fitted! Mitsumi were always a quality maker, I suspect these are surplus types from a discontinued use, like VHS tape ejector mechanisms! Several suppliers list them at present, and I bought enough to see me out on modelling!attachicon.gifMitsumi.jpg

£2.59? I only found them for an extortionate £2.85, but think I can just about afford it!

Back to waiting for the Green Adams from Oxford then. I am not suggesting the little Mitsumi will fit the Adams!! but I just fitted one into an old K's Terrier, and it has romped away with a relatively heavy loco, and has a massive flywheel fitted. If it burns out, I am out about 99p or so!

Stephen

• Like 1

We're in danger of indulging in a crossover topic....J50,...I don't recall adverse opinion on it on the Hornby thread.Maybe you got a duffer ?

The motors in my two J50s, and the similar construction motors in the J15 and D16, have all been exemplary. I'd tend to the 'duffer' hypothesis. It doesn't take much, for a degraded 'dead slow' performance as described, just one of the windings with higher impedance will do it. Dry soldered joint, a flaw in the wire of the winding, that kind of thing.