RMweb

Revell Big Boy

travelintrev

Now ever since my Girl Friend  saw a full size Big Boy in Nebraska earlier in the year (what do you make of a girl who goes train spotting for you when you're a continent & ocean apart?) she has sort of "hinted" that a model of one would look nice a glass case in her (hopefully some time next year to turn in "our") apartment.  

Not being into H0 at all - my preference is 1:24 scale sub two foot gauge stuff -  I remembered in the past that there was a plastic kit for a Big Boy.  Result a quick search on Amazon (US)  found them for around $20:00. 

My question is  does it make up into a reasonable model  - may be with metal handrails and other details added? I'm not looking to motorize it, but to just build as a display item.   (I might then be tempted to build the Kitmaster  LMS garret  thats lurking in the to-do box  to go along with it?

Any thoughts ?

Trev

post-4282-0-47349100-1413914654.jpg

They are very much like a big Airfix kit, the more you put into it, the better the model will be. I opened mine, glued the boiler together with a view to replacing some details, then put it away for a rainy day.

My local Hobbycraft has a few in stock- apart from a Hornby trainset it is the only model railway items they have...

Hi Trev.

I have a couple of these - one is still sealed in it's box but I built this one for my display cabinet before I bought a working model.

RevellBigBoyEX.jpg

I also have a Monogram kit which is a "snap-together" kit and unusually is marked as for the Baltimore and Ohio railroad which is strange because only U.P. used Big Boys !

MonogramBBbox-1.jpg

My local Hobbycraft had some a while ago and were half the price of ones seen on a certain auction site.

I have also been next to a Big Boy, The one in Denver Colorado and they certainly are impressive.

Regards.

It looks as if, like an Airfix kit, you will need to replace all the plastic hand rails with the appropriate thin wire.

I would think some careful research and improved detailing will give you a good display case model.

Gordon A

Bristol

I was intrigued at the low price so I checked on Amazon (US) and read some reviews - hard to believe that someone bought one thinking it was a powered model for $20?...also someone was obviously mislead by the name Big Boy and bought for their six year old to play with.  Someone else, who admitted to having built Revell aircraft kits as a boy, didn't realize it was a kit....!  We take for granted our knowledge of the hobby but would probably be just a naïve straying into someone else's realm..... 

Thanks for the responses chaps,  I too read the reviews - and just fell about laughing just how stoopid can some people be?   I do plan to do an amount of research  fortunately  there are lots of photos about.  GF has also hinted that "we" are going to (I suspect with loads of like minded folk)  in 2019 the recovered one back in steam....

Rather than just a display model I  think I will build diorama for it to sit on. 

Trev.

I miss understand this product. I thought it was a real train engine not a model.
I was looking for a train that he can display with his other train engines.
I do not know if the receipt would be happy with this product.

Did she think it was a real 85 foot long loco? For $20?

• 7 months later...

Did she think it was a real 85 foot long loco? For $20?

There are several reviews like that ("I thought it was a real train engine not a model") - I think they are trying to say that they thought it was a RTR powered model and not a plastic kit, but failing miserably due to their poor written English. The UK Amazon reviews are better but include the gem 'I did a search for Hornby and this came within the search, hence why I ordered it. Unfortunately, when it came it was not Hornby at all.

I wanted one of these as a kid - the model shop in Grantham had one, but I could never afford it. I'm amazed that nearly 30 years later it's on sale for pretty much the same price

Archived