Chris T's photo archives

It seemed to live a charmed life, that strange tank wagon!  It was there until relatively recently (late 1990s?), not that it ever moved!  A couple of pictures of similar ones (DE962033 and 961881) taken at March appear in 'Odd Corners of the Eastern' by Eric Sawford.

I thought the tank wagon looked familiar (and not just from the illustrations in the book).  Here's the same one again, and twin brother of the one in Eric Sawford's book, TDE961880, also at March, in September 1977.  I just wonder how many of these wagons there were?  (Other than a "mystery" wagon at Tyseley, possibly on a loco tender, none appear to be preserved according to the Vintage Carriage Trust database).

post-10122-0-43916000-1415738156_thumb.jpg

PS Like your topical avatar Clive (almost thought you were Barry Norman from your last comment).

(Edited because I'df typed and looked up the number as "TDB961880" - no wonder I couldn't find anything on Paul Bartlett's site!  The 24T hopper is B335145).

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Where was it parked, Steve?  I used Cambridge every day from 1996 - 99 (and a fair bit before that) and I don't ever recall seeing it.

Those cement tanks which were there for years, on the other hand... I know they've gone now but they witnessed my entire career working for the University.

I think it was probably hidden behind those cement tanks most of that time, Jonathan!  It may have gone by 1996 though.  I see Paul Bartlett's pictures of it are dated 1990.  Might have met you on the train in a previous life - I was commuting to King's Cross during that time.

• RMweb Premium

And now for something completely different.

The ex-GE goods shed at Cambridge has featured in the background in several photographs I have posted so I thought you might appreciate seeing what it was like in detail.  The following are a selection of shots I took in the early '80s shortly before it was due to be demolished.  Black and white photos, I afraid, but I think that they can be a better reference sometimes than colour when model making.  And that was the ultimate aim - to build a model.  I never did build it but I still have the photos and my survey notes I made on the same day.  Enjoy!

attachicon.gifimg204.jpg

attachicon.gifimg205.jpg

attachicon.gifimg206.jpg

attachicon.gifimg207.jpg

attachicon.gifimg208.jpg

attachicon.gifimg209.jpg

attachicon.gifimg210.jpg

attachicon.gifimg211.jpg

attachicon.gifimg212.jpg

attachicon.gifimg213.jpg

attachicon.gifimg214.jpg

Chris Turnbull

Chris Turnbull  

Some nice pictures of the old goods shed, Chris! I certainly remember it when I used to go spotting after school in front of the Cattle Market by Hills Road bridge, but have never seen any pictures of the inside before.  I think the GN loco would still have been standing nearby at that time, as well.

• RMweb Premium

Probably not tar wagons as that would have needed help being unloaded and the tank would have been insulated? Or am I up the wrong tree again? Maybe creosote for the sleeper depot originally?

Lovely shots of the Cambridge goods shed. Have you offered them to the GER Society (no connection) or the HMRS (definitely a connection) for an article?

Jonathan David

Probably not tar wagons as that would have needed help being unloaded and the tank would have been insulated? Or am I up the wrong tree again? Maybe creosote for the sleeper depot originally?

Lovely shots of the Cambridge goods shed. Have you offered them to the GER Society (no connection) or the HMRS (definitely a connection) for an article?

Jonathan David

No. I haven't.  I wasn't too sure if I should post them at all as I didn't think many would be interested but the number of "likes" has been surprising.

Chris Turnbull

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was about time that we had some more steam locomotives.  Being inspired by DaveF's excellent thread on which he has posted some fine shots of Preston (post #1349) I thought he wouldn't mind if I posted some of mine from a few years earlier for comparison.

attachicon.gif671228 Preston 48448.jpg

This is 8F 48448 headed northwards with a train of ubiquitous 16 ton mineral wagons on 28th December 1967. 

Chris Turnbull

Hi Chris

The wagons look more like 21 tonners, with a 24 tonner as the second one.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif671228 Preston 48683.jpg

Preston had a fine array of signal gantries and this is 48683 passing under one of them, again on 28th.  Great to see the last knockings of steam traction but by 'eck, it were cold on Preston station at the end of December.  But things were about to get even colder. 

New fangled container on a lowmac in the background.

Keep em coming Chris, very interesting and atmospheric.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

New fangled container on a lowmac in the background.

Keep em coming Chris, very interesting and atmospheric.

Mike.

Well spotted Mike.

The early "Sealand" ISO containers were carried on frames mounted on lowmacs before the freightliner flats were modified. There are quite a few photos of them being loaded/unloaded, these seem to be publicity photos. The only other one I can recall of an ISO container on a lowmac in a train is in "Power of the 9Fs".

The second picture with 1900 shows Pullman stock in the train. I wonder if this was the 1535 Sheffield Midland-Kings X 'Master Cutler', due at Peterborough at 1712 - in the May 68-May 69 timetable this was the only Up Pullman booked to call at Peterborough. 1900 was also based at Tinsley for many years (and was a big non-heat 47, which became 47381 !).

The second picture with 1900 shows Pullman stock in the train. I wonder if this was the 1535 Sheffield Midland-Kings X 'Master Cutler', due at Peterborough at 1712 - in the May 68-May 69 timetable this was the only Up Pullman booked to call at Peterborough. 1900 was also based at Tinsley for many years (and was a big non-heat 47, which became 47381 !).

It's certainly possible.  I don't have any details of the time I took the photos but the sun looks in the right direction for that time of day.

Chris Turnbull

I have been looking more closely at the photographs of what I called the ex-GE goods shed and I don't think that's correct as the ghost lettering seems to read Great Northern rather than Great Eastern.  There were two very similar but not identical goods sheds at Cambridge opposite the platform, the nearest one of which was, I think, the Great Eastern one and farther one the Great Northern.  This was nearest the Great Northern loco shed and is the one photographed.  It looks like the remains of the Great Eastern goods shed which may be seen in the final photograph with the station platform behind and I think the loco shed had gone by this time as well, being behind the chain-link fencing.

What do others think?

Chris Turnbull

See what you mean about the lettering:

from the left gable end, 
a big G, then R E, a dirty A,  T
then N and O practically obliterated by the hole, (but the first letter has a vertical line)
then an R hard up agains the hole, 
T
then what looks like an E could in fact be the H with dirty bricks joining the verticals (the dirt is symmetrical with the dirty A on the left)
then something, 
then a big blank at the right gable end, possibly rebuilt brickwork with no lettering?

See what you mean about the lettering:

from the left gable end, 
a big G, then R E, a dirty A,  T
then N and O practically obliterated by the hole, (but the first letter has a vertical line)
then an R hard up agains the hole, 
T
then what looks like an E could in fact be the H with dirty bricks joining the verticals (the dirt is symmetrical with the dirty A on the left)
then something, 
then a big blank at the right gable end, possibly rebuilt brickwork with no lettering?

Yes, exactly what I thought.

Chris Turnbull

Yes, that Pullman also stopped at Grantham. My dream was to pay the 2/6 supplement and travel from Grantham to Peterborough by Pullman - just for the experience, but that was quite a bit of extra money to fritter away on such things, and by the time my paper round had brought such extravagance into the frame, the train had been withdrawn from that route.

Such is life.