N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

I am sure Ben or Mike will confirm that. However so far, most mutliple unit models can be coupled in just about any order but sometimes only one way round.

To get over getting them set up in the wrong order (especially in N scale where its often difficult to read coach numbers) I use a paint pen underneath each one to mark the order and direction of each vehicle. Makes things much easier especially when setting up in poorly lit venues.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

It's a good point Steven, and while it may be that the couplers will be configured so that the vehicles can only be coupled together in the correct orientation, we will ensure that vehicles can be added/removed from a set without compromising the ability of the set to run, so if you have an 11-car set and then fancy running, say, a 9-car Pendo and two coaches in a "Pendo delivery" train that won't be a problem...

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Fantastic to see full page ad designed by Jason of Rapido in the new issue of BRM...

post-420-0-38843000-1418503315_thumb.jpg

Some good coverage to in this month's Railway Modelling too - reporting that Rapido would be producing the model.  And hopefully some more exciting news to come next week.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 4

Looks like a great project, although not into N gauge, may go for the £30 pledge as well on Kickstarter. As would be great to see a full length 390's for people to run.

Also to say, the full page in the new Model Rail is nice as well (Got Subscribers one today)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Chris's post above made me think it might be worth pointing out that for anyone not ready to pledge now but who'd like a reminder nearer the time can register at our website www.ngaugependolino.com without obligation for free newsletters and updates, plus an alert when we are approaching the deadline for our Kickstarter pledge period.

We have until January 18th to raise the full amount; if we get there the project goes ahead, if we don't it fails and no money is taken.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

Looks like a great project, although not into N gauge, may go for the £30 pledge as well on Kickstarter. As would be great to see a full length 390's for people to run.

Also to say, the full page in the new Model Rail is nice as well (Got Subscribers one today)

Of course, I could point out there's never been a better time to go 'N' ;-) Edited by Jon Gwinnett
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

PLEDGE FOR A POPPY PENDOLINO - AND HELP OUR HEROES

We are delighted to announce that the Royal British Legion has given us permission to produce a model of the "Poppy Pendolino", provided we reach our target and the model goes ahead with Rapido Trains.

post-420-0-12676000-1418853663.jpg

Each model will depict Pendolino 390 103 "Virgin Hero" in full 11-car form carrying standard Virgin livery with correct "Poppy" embellishments, including Poppies on the nose and the cabsides, along with the Royal British Legion marque, and the words "1914-1918 We Will Remember Them" just below the windscreen.

post-420-0-82852200-1418853680_thumb.jpg

Photos above and below courtesy Tom Smith.

For this special model we are increasing the pledge level by £10, of which as much as possible will be donated to support the Royal British Legion once unavoidable Kickstarter fees and payment charges have been deducted.

If we reach our goal, as soon as we know how many pledges have been made for the Poppy Pendolino we will arrange for a cheque to be presented to the Royal British Legion.

post-420-0-96654000-1418853682_thumb.jpg

We'd like to thank "Acko", one of our supporters, for his assistance in negotiating with the Royal British Legion to make this happen.

The Royal British Legion is a registerd charity with registered charity No. 219279 (England and Wales.)

When I last checked, at just under half way there, we are 40% funded at nearly £85K with 234 backers.  According to Kickstarter's own algorithms, calculated using the pledge patterns for hundreds of other campaigns, we have a 95% chance of success.

Having said that, we are not being complacent and would still encourage anyone who wants an N Gauge Pendolino, collects iconic trains or is intersted in potentially being a part of model railway history to join us.  The deadline for pledges is January 18th, and no money will be taken before then, and only if we are successful in reaching the full amount required for production to go ahead.

If you aren't ready to pledge then you can also register at our website www.ngaugependolino.com without obligation and we will email you newsletters and a reminder nearer the time.

cheers

Ben A.
Edited by Ben A
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

That's splendid news Ben. It looks like my resistance to pledging for another unit is crumbling even further. However, for those who've already pledged for an 11-car set, will an additional tenner secure this special version?

Hi Jon,

Yes, absolutely.  At the moment this is the only version that we are actually confirming the number of.  If, when pledging is complete and we have reached our deadline, all backers will be contacted and, having looked at the amount they pledged, we will clarify exactly what they want. 

Once we know how many have pledged enough for the Poppy Pendo we will assign as much of the additional £10 as possible (after Kickstarter have taken both their fees, and the separate payment charge they make, and we have allowed for any tax issues) and we will then be able to announce how much we've raised for the RBL and present it to them.

And after that we will go through the process which has been discussed before of selecting which nine other models will be made.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Also adding a tenner, to my two 11 car with DCC and sound. (Bit of a contrast to my avatar icon! It has DCC, but no sound yet!)

I really want this to happen (as you might guess!).

Everyone sign up now, please!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jon,

Yes, absolutely.  At the moment this is the only version that we are actually confirming the number of.  If, when pledging is complete and we have reached our deadline, all backers will be contacted and, having looked at the amount they pledged, we will clarify exactly what they want. 

Once we know how many have pledged enough for the Poppy Pendo we will assign as much of the additional £10 as possible (after Kickstarter have taken both their fees, and the separate payment charge they make, and we have allowed for any tax issues) and we will then be able to announce how much we've raised for the RBL and present it to them.

And after that we will go through the process which has been discussed before of selecting which nine other models will be made.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben

I've already pledged for a 9 car set with sound but I am considering changing this for the 11 car Poppy version. Will it be possible to have the Poppy version with sound?

Cheers

Paul

Well not going to lie I am very happy to see this come to fruition,

I have to mention Fi Dobson from the Royal British Legion, she has been instrumental in getting the idea pushed through with the Legion and behind the project since she heard of it!

For those that don't know how big a very it is for the Legion and the Forces not only is it the centenary of World War one (as I am sure every man and his dog knows) but it marks the exit of British combat forces from Helmand and the first time in 13 years British troops have not been involved in combat operations.

Sadly the second point has left its scars both physically and mentally with service personnel, veterans and their families and I know the Legion will be very grateful for the money that can be raised with the VIRGIN HERO set.

As both Mike and Ben have said the set numbers used in the first run would be only used once so this makes the set a truly limited edition.

To bring it full circle on the Poppy Train if you look up PTE Wilfred Wood and read his Citation he is a True Hero. He volunteered to go to war in WW1 leaving his job as a fireman at Edgeley Shed in Stockport, in 1918 for acts most conspicuous bravery he won the Victoria Cross.

At the end of the war he returned to the railways and a Claughton Class Steam locomotive was named after him and 2 other VC winners from LNWR, this name was transferred onto a LMS Patriot class in 1922.

PTE Woods VC Retired from the railways in 1960 as a supervisor at none other than Longsight Depot the home base of the entire Pendolino Fleet.

• Like 3

Quite what I am going to do with a N gauge Pendolino, I'm not quite sure...but mine is coming from Rapido as I am a Canadian...

(you had me with a Legion version...strangely, I am not a member of the RCL, as I am still a member of HM's RCN...)

James Powell

• Like 1