N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hi Acko,

I just got the same message!  I don't know what the problem is but I am sure it will be back up soon enough!

cheers

Ben A.

The problem is that our website has been too popular - I'm on to our hosting company to increase the bandwidth ASAP.

In the meantime you can reach the Kickstarter page at: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/840142652/pendolino-uk-n-gauge

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Ok so last night post-Warley we broke the Internets... well, our little bit of it anyway.  I just checked and all up again now, as Mike says above we have increased the bandwidth.

In other news.... Jason has arranged for the sounds for our DCC sound options to be provided by Legomanbiffo.  He already does sounds for a Pendolino but will do some fresh recordings for our version.

The OO sound chip includes the passenger doors opening and closing (this is a toggle on a single button), the windscreen noisy washer jet, despatch whistle, four different horns (two in each direction) and of course the sound of the whining motors.  Some sounds are direction dependent, and our model will have sound in both end cars.

You can hear the sounds - albeit fitted to a Super Voyager for testing - here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byzj1veJZ1A

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

143 backers this morning and over 25% funding.

Ben -  the leaflets you posted last week were on the door matt last night when we got in so will put them out along with the ones I had left over the weekend at Wakefield this coming weekend. Phatbob has soem to put out on Appledore at Poynton in a coupe of weeks time.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

That's great, thanks.  I found this weekend that while people will look at the flyers, a couple of words of explanation can often help too, though I appreciate that's not always possible when operating a busy layout!   Well done again on your win for Banbury BTW...

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

That's great, thanks. I found this weekend that while people will look at the flyers, a couple of words of explanation can often help too, though I appreciate that's not always possible when operating a busy layout! Well done again on your win for Banbury BTW...

cheers

Ben A.

A few people I have talked to about it when they have picked up the laeflets but as you say its not always easy when operating. There was one person at the Newcastle show that picked up a leaflet and was very exited by it but I was stuck doing something so missed the chance to talk to him. I made enough mistakes myself this weekend multitasking but hope that doesn't put people off having a chat!! Edited by roundhouse

Hi,

Just made my pledge. I did not realise until I launched the pledge site that a pledge can be made for just GBP2 in return for a digital photo. This did not come across in RMWeb, maybe it does in the marketing flyers - and maybe it was known at Warley

Can I suggest that those with connections to modeling press (Jan 2015 edition), websites, groups clubs etc that they make an appeal to modellers in all scales and gauges, so that for the good of the hobby, should buy a photo?

With just shy of GBP155,000 to go it must be possible.

that's my "mustard" added - as we say in Germany

es grüßt

PC

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

At some point today - I wasn't online, so did not see exactly when - we got our 150th backer.

We are now at £56,294 with 152 backers - an average of £370 per backer.   Mike and I based our calculations on a much lower average pledge and said we'd need 800 pledges.  If pledges continue at this rate, we will reach our target with just under 570 pledges... meaning we need to find another 418 backers - or just over half of our original target.

Having said that, and as I said to many people over the weekend, we are thoroughly well aware that we are enjoying an initial surge of support, and the chances are that pledge levels will slow down, and that in two or three weeks time the uptake will have slowed considerably, and we will then need to make sure, perhaps through other means, that we are still reaching as many potential backers as possible.

So if anyone on this forum, who supports what we are doing, knows anyone at all who is a collector, or N gauger, or likely to consider pledging, please let them know just in case they haven't seen the news elsewhere!  And even if you are not an N-gauge enthusiast, or modern image modeller, or collector, we have some lower pledge levels that will enable you to help us and be a part of this potentially historic project if you wish.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello folks

I posted this on another forum, but I think the message applies everywhere!

For those of you waiting to pledge until later in the funding period we would ask you to consider pledging as soon as possible.  The reason we say this is that if we know people are on board at an earlier stage it gives us greater confidence to start work earlier (we have a few ideas on potential opportunities to get some of the initial work done before the end of the pledging period, but obviously we would like to be reasonably confident that the project will succeed before we start spending money!).

From your point of view it makes no difference when you pledge as no money is taken until after the end of the pledging period plus you can change your pledge at any point until the final deadline on 18 January 2015. Plus if we are not successful no money is taken.

Obviously we won't hold it against you if you would rather not, but by pledging early you could help us keep on track (no pun intended!).

Cheers, Mike

Hello chaps,

I didn't realise that you could pledge to support the project but not the full amount for a Pendolino - I'll definitely support it, in that case, I'll give some thought as to how much.

As an N gauge modeller, this really is very exciting and I hope it reaches the target. I model the 70s and 80s, so can't justify running a Pendolino (and have little interest in them) but I can't help thinking that £255 for a nine coach Pendolino is just staggeringly good value for money. Oh, how I wish you'd done APT-P!

Well done to all concerned for driving the gauge forward.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

i am slowly coming round to getting one so if one will fit in my station i will get one

so can you give me some idea how long the 9 car set will be

Thanks john

Edited by jbqfc

• RMweb Premium

Hi John

If to exact scale it would be approx. 1.47 m (or 4' 10") - the exact figure will depend on things like couplings (and we won't know until it is manufactured).

Cheers, Mike

Thanks as my platform is just over 5 feet i have gone and pledge for one

john

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

End of day 5 of pledging and over 60k now pledged. At this rate we'll hit our target in just under a fortnight!

Let's be realistic - it's going to slow down soon but we are determined for the remainder of the pledging period to keep the energy levels up and keep boring everyone by telling them how much they need a Pendolino!!

Incidentally I have created a "baby pendo" Facebook page so please, if you support us, "like" it and try to use it to spread the word. At least, I think that's how these things work...!

Now a factual query:

I know 390047 carries the name "CLIC Sargent" which is Virgin's adopted charity. Colas's 60087 also carries this name I believe. I'm sure I've also seen reference to a DRS 57 carrying the name, and a London Midland Desiro too, but I can't seem to find any references online. Did I dream it?

Cheers

Ben

Hello all,

End of day 5 of pledging and over 60k now pledged. At this rate we'll hit our target in just under a fortnight!

Let's be realistic - it's going to slow down soon but we are determined for the remainder of the pledging period to keep the energy levels up and keep boring everyone by telling them how much they need a Pendolino!!

Incidentally I have created a "baby pendo" Facebook page so please, if you support us, "like" it and try to use it to spread the word. At least, I think that's how these things work...!

Now a factual query:

I know 390047 carries the name "CLIC Sargent" which is Virgin's adopted charity. Colas's 60087 also carries this name I believe. I'm sure I've also seen reference to a DRS 57 carrying the name, and a London Midland Desiro too, but I can't seem to find any references online. Did I dream it?

Cheers

Ben

Maybe you are thinking of Chad Varah? A name added to 3 Locos/Units in the same day I believe.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Feel free!  The more the merrier...!

In other news... at Warley Jason Shron gave me a Rapido GMD-1 in N scale to evaluate.  It's of interest as the chassis and drivetrain are to the design as planned for the Pendolino.  It's a beautiful model and superbly engineered.  Below is a poor quality photograph showing all the separate parts:

post-420-0-43220100-1417014341_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality - shot on a camera phone after dark.  I'll get some better shots sorted out soon.  Here is a link to the video showing its slow-speed performance:

http://on.fb.me/1HFQQ1u

I also tested the model with a rake of 15 Dapol Mk3s + DVT which it handled with no problem at all on an oval of standard, hastily assembled Kato Unitrack.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Further to the video I posted on the "baby pendo" page on Facebook showing the slow-speed performance of the Rapido GMD-1 locomotive, linked to in my previous post, I have also done some timed runs to assess its overall performance envelope.

I used a Gaugemaster D controller (the one in the video) and was operating on DC only. I used an oval of Kato Unitrack and I timed three runs (two in one direction, one in the other) over a fixed distance - for the slower speeds 0.5 metres, but as the loco got faster over one complete circuit to cut down on the error factor.

The controller knob is calibrated from 10-70 and then "max." The numbers are controller reading / scale speed in kph / scale speed in mph

20 / 4.9 / 3.0
30 / 29.5 / 18.3
50 / 88.6 / 55.1
70 / 177.48 / 110.3
MAX / 250.1 / 155.4

So I would say that this fits reasonably well for the performance required of a Pendolino.

Now over £63k pledges - as anticipated growth is slowing a little, but still steady!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1