Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

Ben, Mike,

just contacted Heiko Stoll of Modellbahnunion and Daniel Mrugalski of DM Toys and asked them to take part in the Project. Both stock UK outline so who knows. Gave them a short description plus the link to the site and advised them to contact you for further details.

Any feedback from the "Box-Shifters" and other model Shops? I cannot believe that they do not have any spare monies to invest.

es grüßt

pc

• Like 1

Well it was worth trying!

I am rather surprised a numbers of larger traders aren't interested, would have though if they pledged and it didn't come off then well no loss and if it did they are getting them at trade prices and with the initial limited run they could make a good profit as well 2 years before the follow run and the running numbers will not be the same!

Could almost guarantee a seller could push 350 - 370 pound for an 11 car set if they wanted and they would more than likely get it!

HI All

The Trade will be sitting thinking 18 months to get my money back which is a long time for a shop.

Then Q all the moaners that go in and say BUT YOU GOT THAT FOR XXX  

I hope this goes ahead myself as ive got 3 on order and yes One for sure will be getting sold a vast profit for me I hope.

Regards Arran

Arran,

Trade may have the waiting attitude and they may get them moaners but there is a simple answer to that!

GET PLEDGING IF YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS HERE AND NOW, PLEDGE ACTUALLY GET THE MODEL MADE AND SAY A SMALL FORTUNE!!!

I really hope it goes ahead sadly I can only get the 11 car but those that are hoping to get extra to sell on well why not, I know on the ebay thread there are rip off merchants but selling the model for a reasonable price you will still make some pretty pennies. If I had the extra cash I would have got 2 5 car sets to sell on!

:yes:

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

While not 100% relevant due to its scale I found this review of Rapido's latest HO loco interesting, and a good indicator of the kind of quality and precision I feel Rapido will bring to this project.

http://acmodels.boards.net/thread/194/rapido-f40ph-2d-review

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The points made about the trade are interesting. I have enormous respect for the trade and can totally understand why retailers would have some resistance to this project, and a reluctance to get involved, because in the very first stages the public is getting the product at what is, in effect, the trade price.

This makes it awkward because, as Arran has said above, customers may walk in and, seeing a model listed at £320, think they are being overcharged.

My message is this: if you want the trade price then great - join us and pledge now.  But this is a one-off opportunity; if you decide not to pledge that's fine but you have to be realistic and accept that subsequent models will be priced higher, and that is abosolutely fair and reasonable.

We need traders to add a mark up so they can remain in business; pay their staff and overheads, earn an income themselves, and have money to invest in more stock. 

Traders say it is incredibly tough to make a living selling model trains, because more than shoes, or clothes, or golf, or home electronics the market is incredibly price sensitive.  I believe them - after all, I don't see many Rolls Royces or Aston Martins parked outside model railway shops!

And I should add that Mike and I do not want to undermine the trade in any way.  If we - or anyone else - thought that it would have been possible to fund this particular model (a complex and pricey N gauge OHLE unit, albeit a very glamorous one) purely via trade pre-orders we would have, but everyone I think accepts that only by modellers themselves being prepared to step up could this project be realised.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

Andy: I'll try to sort some new posters - if not use the older ones. I have now run out of leaflets - but I think both Ian (roundhouse) and Ali are going to be at Canterbury too and should have some.

Cheers

Ben A.

Ok Ben.

Ian, as you've got leaflets, If I have anyone approach us on Tat, I'll point them over to Banbury if that's ok with yourself. I'll come and say hello too! - Also, congrats on the award at Warley, much deserved.

Cheers Andy.

Edited by thelochtatmonster

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

As we go into the last week of pledging we are approaching 2/3 pledged, so still some way to go.  When I checked just now we are at 350 backers, with £132K (63%) pledged.

Let's hope we see a surge in the final week to get us to the finish line!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

I have been watching this progress on an almost daily basis and the longer it has gone on the more impressed I have become with the way the whole thing has been managed. For the sake of Ben, Mike and everyone else who has put in so much hard graft to make this even possible I have my fingers crossed for that final "surge" of pledges that we are told is so often a feature Kickstarter campaigns.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your kind words.

This project really came about because I wanted a Pendolino or two for our club layout Horseley Fields, and because, as an ardent supporter of N gauge, I felt that to be taken seriously the scale needs to offer a model of such an iconic and important prototype.

When Dave Jones had the vision to suggest it could be crowd funded I felt the opportunity was there to be seized, as I also feel that getting like-minded modellers to work together will be the only way to get certain niche items produced.

Then when Jason and Rapido got involved and offered an even better deal I felt we have a real chance of making this happen.

We're currently at nearly two-thirds of the required total pledged - with more to come I am sure - which given the UK market's natural conservatism is I feel a remarkable achievement.

Mike was at the St Albans show this weekend and reports back that several people are "waiting until the last minute to pledge." I'm not sure why as NO MONEY IS TAKEN NOW - apologies for shouting, but the point seems not to have sunk in! - so I have a feeling that it's going to be a tense Sunday evening watching the total climb and wondering if we will make it to the line...!

Either way, I'm hoping this will give Jason and Rapido the confidence to proceed anyway and that irrespective of Kickstarter my original prime goal - of seeing Pendolinos running gracefully through Horseley Fields - will be realised!!

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben.

I've said it before but yourself and Mike are to be congratulated for trying this, and if the total isn't reached it certainly won't be through lack of effort on your part!

I've raided the piggy bank and upped my pledge to a sound fitted version on the basis every little helps!

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Mike was at the St Albans show this weekend and reports back that several people are "waiting until the last minute to pledge." I'm not sure why as NO MONEY IS TAKEN NOW - apologies for shouting, but the point seems not to have sunk in!

Ben

Perhaps I can expand on this a little for you as there will, hopefully, be a few out there like me.

I model 0 scale narrow gauge and even earn my living as EDM Models ( http://www.ngtrains.com) on the strength of it. I also have various off the core modelling interests of my own but no real interest in N gauge or in a Pendolino in any scale.  However, I have been impressed with this kickstarter campaign to produce a Pendolino and I would like to see it succeed.  I have done my bit by promoting it on the EDM Models Facebook page, linked it to my personal page, included it in my newsletter and mentioned it to a load of people. Now I watch its progress several times a day with my fingers crossed for you but the facts are: -

The negatives

• I don't model N gauge
  • I don't want a Pendolino
  • I don't have 300+ quid sitting around all homeless

On the positives

• I want to see this succeed
  • If it succeeds maybe it'll encourage other projects
  • Maybe the next model that comes along will be something that I really want

So, I don't really want one and don't really have the money. It would be much better if this project was successfully completed by people who really want one or people who have the spare money.

But maybe, just maybe, if its gets to the point where my ordering something I don't want and would prefer not to spend the money on would mean success then who knows what stupid pledge I might make.

[not sure writing it down was a good idea as its sort of imposed rationality on what would be an impulse action]

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hello Paul,

Thanks for setting down your thoughts. I can thoroughly appreciate your dilemma, especially now the pressure is on!

I have always felt that the hard core of N Gaugers who want a Pendolino for a particular layout will not be enough to get this project over the line and we need to attract the "rule 1" modellers who like iconic trains from any era in any scale.

On top of that, we have also attracted several backers who appreciate the potential for crowd sourcing and, seeing we have a genuine chance of getting over the line, think it's worth putting in a pledge to set a precedent even though they have little or no interest in what we're offering and have every intention of selling it on.

All I can say is that if you pledge, whatever your reason, we're grateful!

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

I too am very impressed by the dedication and professionalism of the guys running this campaign. No doubt about it, the success of this will be down to you guys if it makes it over the line.

One interesting point by Ben a few posts back. Saying the pendolino is a niche model. I would say it's actually very usable for a large area of the country - the fact it's needed this kind of project to get one to market is probably due to the amount of bodyshells needed. I suspect Farish will sell a lot of 350's on the bacl of this if successful. That model was a strange choice for them to do as I can't think of anywhere you'd see one where there wouldn't also be a Pendolino.

On that note, does anyone have a rough idea of what it would cost to set up research/tooling/production for a single locomotive? I'm guessing it's not a case of splitting it by five! £100k ish?

Edited by ash39

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ash,

For a powered single vehicle I'd say £50k is a good starting point for a moulded body with bogies etc. Then you need to consider whether you want additional slides to offer varieties (eg split/single headcode or original/plated boiler ports), whether you want etched detail parts, whether you have to pay for a 3D scan, how simple or difficult the glazing is etc etc.

Then, of course, you also have to pay for any working parts - motor, PCB, wheels etc - and to have a set number moulded, painted and assembled, and the more complex the livery, and the more separate detail parts you have, the higher that cost.

Matthew's £115K for 1000 railcars doesn't seem unreasonable.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Some interesting reading - and some impressive and dramatic last-minute surges...

https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/final-countdown-how-three-projects-made-it-just-in-time

Up to £135,275K and 358 backers... pledges have clearly picked up over the last few days... Will it be enough??

Cheers

Ben A.

I think it will make it over the line. A lot of people are probably considering extra sets either as investments or to keep. I probably include myself in that!

It certainly makes a case for popular locos not yet produced or needing a retool. I would happily pledge for about 5 class 90's! A decent quality 158 would be welcome in 'n' too. Interesting times ahead!

• RMweb Gold

Folks

I've been in touch with some of you today about confirming your pledges etc and I know that a few people thought they had made pledges but we had no record of them.

The easiest way to check if you have made a pledge is to login to your Kickstarter account and check your backer history.  The Pendolino project should appear!  If it doesn't then go to the project page - if you haven't made a pledge then the large green button will say "Back this project", if you have made a pledge then Kickstarter's system will not let you make another pledge and you only be offered the opportunity to "Amend your pledge" (or similar).

We'd hate for anyone to miss out on pledging because of glitches in Kickstarter's process!

Cheers, Mike

I think the problem is that there is a prospect, (okay at a higher price) of a model either way. Id personally rather wait for Rapido to produce or announce their model so I can ore order, monitor the progress and have time to save up. Stupid outlook I know, but I think it's something a lot of people are thinking.

Great Western