RMweb

Heljan GWR 47xx Night Owl

Hilux5972

Just opened the box of 4706 and first impressions are good.

Packaging really nice, very heavy model and the finish looks great!!

First Heljan Steamer........screws to remove the tender top on the top of the tender........radical!!

Ill chip it and run it and get back to you but been looking forward to this day and so far not disapointed.....hope its a good one!

Tony,

I'm a regular visitor to your YouTube channel - Alexton is a really nice layout. I hope you'll post some video of your 47xx. It should make a very interesting comparison with your 'Big Bertha' 0-10-0.

My 47' is superb, though I seem to be have been particularly lucky and you have to feel for the folks who have been let down. 

Andy.

Are all the affected locos examples of the BR black versions, or are GWR ones arriving with similar damage?

John

My 4704 had a twisted damaged front pony and oil on the body. Many parts were loose in the box, mostly small pipes, no idea where they go

My 4706 is a basket case, as shown.  In bits around the front.   No reply yet from AJM who sold it,  I am up for about £50 airmail if I return these lemons by tracked mail, £40 if simply airmail packet. 

I'm sorry for the retailers and all those who put skill into design and production to be let down by final assembly and delivery.

I was going to suggest a total recall of the model would be the responsible thing to do, or a mandatory opening and testing of every sale at Heljan''s expense.

But I don't know how many faulty ones there are.  100% failure in my two purchases, wasted time and money for me and the retailers, the latter won't easily get their airmail refunded by Heljan, but once again I'm not privvy to the extent of the issues nor the contracts involved.

My 4706 received damage it could not ave got from any single 'fall' impact, it was in my opinion either packed with complete ignorance and lack of care, or subjected to extreme vibration and numerous impacts, or both.

I would not buy one of these unless unpacked and inspected thoroughly.

If it was a car, refrigerator or a camera there would be a complete recall.  Heljan's reputation is now very badly hit.  If is was 'only' a single shipment which was damaged then all buyers should receive the option of immediate replacement at no cost whatsoever.  Has Heljan not heard of good business?  

edit;  AJM have replied and will refund all, including my air post costs. Amanda says the item will probably be destroyed as junk by Heljan

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

Whoa!

Hang on a minute, Rob.

You said "the packaging was excellent, no marks" and yet in your first picture, I can clearly see the top RHS of your box is torn!?!

Now, I'm not trying to excuse Heljan here BUT it does look to me that your box is suggestive of damage in transit.

Also, did you say you bought this one from "AMJ"? I don't know of them at all but is it likely they would ship an item that clearly has multiple issues like this, clearly visible and audible?

To me, this looks more like an issue with your chosen postal service. I hope you can claim against your insurance, rather than laying the blame at Heljans door.

I'm just trying to introduce a bit of clear headedness* here before we all descend into a "blame Heljan for everything" frenzy.

John.

Edit: *Perspective! The correct word came too late.

I did not notice that tear until after the post and when I was re-packing it, my eyes only saw the clear disaster inside.

I am not blaming only Heljan.  

The retailer's packaging was thorough and professional, cardboard surround, bubblewrap, paper.   I have no idea where the tear happened, but I don't think it was me.

The problem is that the retailer AJM (sorry if I spelt that wrongly before) did not see an issue, and I cannot second guess where the damage occurred.

I have a ton of perspective, my experience in buying 47XXs is 100% disaster and maybe it was the courier. Then how come my other hundreds of of deliveries by the same couriers from the same retailers have been 99% fine and undamaged?    I remain of the view that there is something wrong with the assembly of these models at the factory, and/or rough handling at any point before they reach the web buyer doesn't help.

• RMweb Gold

I'm starting to wonder if the entire shipment experienced some sort of high energy accident.

I was thinking the same, but the cradles are not damaged.

Additionally the warning of the bogie looks, at least to me, shaped by its mounting in the box.

Overall I think with mine I’ve dodged a bullet and I’ve got a good one.

Though the motor design, and chassis i’m wondering if i lose a wheel, with a bit of work it could be good for shaving down into a Manor?

That broken chassis of Robs is pretty poor, there is a screw in there, it’s not a separate part.

I’m going to throw a wild guess, but as most of the locos weight is in the boiler / top heavy and there is a lot of it, I wonder if the light weight plastic frame chassis has taken the brunt, when on other models the weight is in the metal chassis that supports the frame.

• Like 1

Am sorry to disappoint everyone and I really do sympathise with everyone who has a duff one of these. You shouldn't have to be returning a brand new loco with some of the faults and Quality control and manufacturing issues identified. I bought 4704 in shirtbutton livery. Arrived undamaged, no loose handrails, stanchions and all wheels correctly fitted. There are no parts that have come off in the box and I cant see anything actually missing or broken. The front of the frames are straight to my untrained eye and a quick test run over a complex track layout has shown no derailing issues and no issues with running. I need to run in mine but overall not bad. I can see the faults everyone has spoken of on here in terms of detail and I am unconvinced by the number plates but can live with them for now. Next time I have an order for plates for a kit I might add it to the order to save the postage.

I hope that helps people realise that there are good ones out there and seems I am lucky and this is not meant as gloating, just an attempt to redress the balance.

I too have had good models from Heljan.

Beyer Garratts, 11 of them (I weathered one, and recently bought a 47996 to replace one of the 10 sold-on eventually, after 2-3 years, no comebacks at all.  The 4 or 5 Garratts had minor detail faults like stanchions, cab door handrails not perfectly straight, loose tray under bunker.  All ran perfectly on my test track.

I had one 02 which had similar very minor issues.

In time this rather bad experience with two 47XXs will be just a bad memory, both retailers are professional and friendly and helpful and I feel rather sorry for them.

Here are the two models, the green 4704 with my taped and cardboard pony truck repair, and oil on paint, the black 4706 with the front frame just sitting in place but too high on the fireman's side, the front axle similarly just sitting loose above the pony truck, and no stays from firebox, if I was dextrous I would consider trying to fix them, but I have but one good working hand, the other is my original 'primary' hand (I was right-handed) and is a numb club useful for gripping things and sensitive but no fine touch

post-7929-0-40427700-1523658665_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-75371500-1523658729_thumb.jpg

The question is, how bad is the problem and wil Heljan do anything, and how might it affect sales of the remaining liveries?

and just to show how close Heljan came to getting it right for me at least here is the damaged model with a bit of photo-edited repair.

post-7929-0-76160800-1523661759_thumb.jpg

I am actually tempted now to have a go at fixing this broken detached front frame on 4706 , axle, stays and stanchions, rear steps and sundry small pipes, since it is morning here and things always look better in the morning :)  I would have to create one smokebox stay from scrap or an old GWR tank engine model, after a stay is a stay is a stay (Gertrude Stein, bless her). I have in mind isolating the reason why the front frame won't quite fit back in place,  and go from there.  A friend has offered to help refit the stanchions, and the smokebox stays I am sure simply a matter of prayer and braille technique. 

Edited by robmcg

Ongoing saga of damaged 4706.

As arrived in bits in box.

post-7929-0-98080600-1523667186_thumb.jpg

Test fit, a tad high at front perhaps, falls off easily.

post-7929-0-50957600-1523667219_thumb.jpg

Bogie and bits to do.

post-7929-0-61661600-1523667351_thumb.jpg

Axle in, not a problem at all, press fit as was 4704 ... sigh

post-7929-0-94021400-1523667413_thumb.jpg

Pony truck on

post-7929-0-14773500-1523667530_thumb.jpg

Another test fit, no glue,

post-7929-0-56482600-1523667566_thumb.jpg

Another angle high at front?  Maybe a bit of cleaning of faces needed.

post-7929-0-90169600-1523667678_thumb.jpg

So I need to glue this together carefully after cleaning any rough bits, even filing or sanding to do fine adjustments to the 'sit' of the front frame. 

Then I need to find the other smokebox stay or make two of them, or buy two?  ...and line up and locate the front three detached handrail stanchions, one top front and two on fireman's side front.

Then I need to fix a rear step and identify the bits which were loose in the box.

I'd better be careful. This is far too much like actual modelling. I have my reputation to consider. :)

Actually the camera shows things I cannot see with my naked eye, so this rather boring series of pics is quite handy for me. I also totally lack confidence being entirely 'left-handed', no offence to those who are of that type. 

edit ; my theory is that the front frame received an almighty clout during manufacture and/or assembly but did not detach being more-or-less in place even when despatched from the factory and maybe the retailer, and the vibration and handling by couriers was normal but sufficient to cause it to become free, similarly the front axle, but I'll never know, and I would like to record my appreciation of the fast and friendly responses of both retailers with immediate offers of full refunds including air freight, Tom of Rails and Amanda of AJM.

edit, thanks to a friend with finer touch and eyesight,

handrails in, except centre top which appears to have fractured in the shaft and springs back out, 

I filed a little off the two bars of the frames at the front top surface until I had a good fit, just used a tiny bit of poly glue, on frames and front edge of running board,  mostly just need  the other stay bar , I will keep looking ! :)

I broke the far lamp iron stupidly trying to see if it would bend back straight, it didn't. Now in foreground, far too small for me to put back unless there is a method I haven't heard of... blu-tak and glue?  Top lamp iron has been bent since arrival and I'll not try to bend that!  I couldn't resist in the last photo it is edited a bit straighter.

post-7929-0-67227000-1523683862_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-95312100-1523683950_thumb.jpg

Enough for one day, isn't modelling fun?  Cheers. p.s. finger marks are obligatory on 47XXs.

oh, and I see I broke the front vac pipe, but have glued it back, expecting it to now disappear  until it reappears along with the lost stay bar....   a random event if you will.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That’s not a bad repair Rob.

Got to be honest on a new out of the box I would have returned them myself when I saw the condition they came.

As for the errant lamp iron, by far the easiest way to “hide” it... is by buying a set of head lamps to fit.. and they turn the appearance around too.

Comes in packs of 5 or 10.. springside DA1 GWR Head / tail lamps, example of one here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Springside-GWR-Head-Tail-Lamps-White-OO-Gauge-Details-DA1-10/161986344314?epid=1174825463&hash=item25b723757a:g:gWsAAOSwSQFZ52k6

47XX Night Owl or Shyte Hawk? 

You and a good few others have had it rough Rob. Incidentally, being left-handed; the right hand side of the brain develops a lot more than a right handed persons brain. Alleged benefits are the ability to look at things laterally and see daylight where others see doom, being more artistic and a lot more talented musically.  

I think the locos front end appearance would benefit from two support bars cut from brass rod plus cosmetic ends from plastikard.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

47XX Night Owl or Shyte Hawk? 

You and a good few others have had it rough Rob. Incidentally, being left-handed; the right hand side of the brain develops a lot more than a right handed persons brain. Alleged benefits are the ability to look at things laterally and see daylight where others see doom, being more artistic and a lot more talented musically.  

I think the locos front end appearance would benefit from two support bars cut from brass rod sank into holes drilled at an angle.

That term was used by my late father to describe the vultures he and others serving in India during the last war commonly met on a daily basis.I have adapted it as a term for local pigeons....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I haven't read all the thread so apologies if this has been covered, have Heljan publicly responded to the issues raised? It's a pity I along with many others was really looking forward to this model.

IIRC the only response to a similar calamity was the release of the infamous Clayton diesel in 2009/10 for which they belatedly agreed to supply new motors/ chassis for a model which exhibited identical characteristics to its prototype.There was,I believe,no public utterance,apology or wearing of hair shirt.Similarly with Hattons commissioned Beyer Garratt...zero.

Therefore do not expect a press conference any time soon.

It would seem at present that the Danes produce great bacon and TV thrillers like "The Bridge" .They appear to be struggling with model OO gauge steam locos.A pity because they are more than capable of producing great models...of "bringing home the bacon"....if you pardon the pun.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

IIRC the only response to a similar calamity was the release of the infamous Clayton diesel in 2009/10 for which they belatedly agreed to supply new motors/ chassis for a model which exhibited identical characteristics to its prototype.There was,I believe,no public utterance,apology or wearing of hair shirt.Similarly with Hattons commissioned Beyer Garratt...zero.

It would seem at present that the Danes produce great bacon and TV thrillers like "The Bridge" .They appear to be struggling with model OO gauge steam locos.A pity because they are more than capable of producing great models...of "bringing home the bacon"....if you pardon the pun.

Alas their bacon seems to consist mainly of water and i haven't watched their TV thrillers but they seem to have a reputation for better style of 'noir' than unpainted black plastic.

On the subject of the struts if anyone is considering replacing them have a look first at photos of the real thing as as the bottom they curve in the opposite direction to the way Heljan have curved them.

On the subject of the struts if anyone is considering replacing them have a look first at photos of the real thing as as the bottom they curve in the opposite direction to the way Heljan have curved them.

Personally, I would sink brass rod into holes and then add small strips of plastikard to resemble the end attachments...

post-6680-0-17161700-1523703181.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Ongoing saga of damaged 4706.

As arrived in bits in box.

attachicon.gifImg_1725a_r1200a.jpg

Test fit, a tad high at front perhaps, falls off easily.

attachicon.gifImg_1724a_r1200a.jpg

Bogie and bits to do.

attachicon.gifImg_1727a_r1200a.jpg

Axle in, not a problem at all, press fit as was 4704 ... sigh

attachicon.gifImg_1729a_r1200a.jpg

Pony truck on

attachicon.gifImg_1730a_r1200.jpg

Another test fit, no glue,

attachicon.gifImg_1732a_r1200a.jpg

Another angle high at front?  Maybe a bit of cleaning of faces needed.

attachicon.gifImg_1735a_r1200a.jpg

So I need to glue this together carefully after cleaning any rough bits, even filing or sanding to do fine adjustments to the 'sit' of the front frame. 

Then I need to find the other smokebox stay or make two of them, or buy two?  ...and line up and locate the front three detached handrail stanchions, one top front and two on fireman's side front.

Then I need to fix a rear step and identify the bits which were loose in the box.

I'd better be careful. This is far too much like actual modelling. I have my reputation to consider. :)

Actually the camera shows things I cannot see with my naked eye, so this rather boring series of pics is quite handy for me. I also totally lack confidence being entirely 'left-handed', no offence to those who are of that type. 

edit ; my theory is that the front frame received an almighty clout during manufacture and/or assembly but did not detach being more-or-less in place even when despatched from the factory and maybe the retailer, and the vibration and handling by couriers was normal but sufficient to cause it to become free, similarly the front axle, but I'll never know, and I would like to record my appreciation of the fast and friendly responses of both retailers with immediate offers of full refunds including air freight, Tom of Rails and Amanda of AJM.

edit, thanks to a friend with finer touch and eyesight,

handrails in, except centre top which appears to have fractured in the shaft and springs back out, 

I filed a little off the two bars of the frames at the front top surface until I had a good fit, just used a tiny bit of poly glue, on frames and front edge of running board,  mostly just need  the other stay bar , I will keep looking ! :)

I broke the far lamp iron stupidly trying to see if it would bend back straight, it didn't. Now in foreground, far too small for me to put back unless there is a method I haven't heard of... blu-tak and glue?  Top lamp iron has been bent since arrival and I'll not try to bend that!  I couldn't resist in the last photo it is edited a bit straighter.

attachicon.gifImg_1743ar_r1200abc.jpg

attachicon.gifImg_1751a_r1200.jpg

Enough for one day, isn't modelling fun?  Cheers. p.s. finger marks are obligatory on 47XXs.

oh, and I see I broke the front vac pipe, but have glued it back, expecting it to now disappear  until it reappears along with the lost stay bar....   a random event if you will.

Very well retrieved, Rob. Probably a less nerve-wracking course than taking pot-luck on a replacement arriving in better condition on your side of the planet.

John

• RMweb Premium

Don’t forget the Lynton and Barnstaple tank . Not just Heljan, of course, but Hornby with their IET class 800. How do they get away with it? Well so far no one holding them to account. Only individuals having problems . There’s a curious reluctance in the MR press to criticise manufacturers . That at least is the benefit of media like this and YouTube where people are actually discussing the issues.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Don’t forget the Lynton and Barnstaple tank . Not just Heljan, of course, but Hornby with their IET class 800. How do they get away with it? Well so far no one holding them to account. Only individuals having problems . There’s a curious reluctance in the MR press to criticise manufacturers . That at least is the benefit of media like this and YouTube where people are actually discussing the issues.

To be fair to Hornby,they are at least attempting a fix for returned 800 models. I don't think all the MR press indulge in whitewash these days and remember a review is based on one sample and if that sample is faultless ......and there obviously are such.....then you have to write as you find.The wider issue in this specific case is quite another matter I grant you.Nothing more guaranteed to set the teeth of one who is the recipient of such a turkey (corpse) than to read someone exalt its virtues,either online or in the MR press.

But I do take your point seriously.It will be instructive to read what happens in forthcoming issues of the various magazines.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

To be fair to Hornby,they are at least attempting a fix for returned 800 models. I don't think all the MR press indulge in whitewash these days and remember a review is based on one sample and if that sample is faultless ......and there obviously are such.....then you have to write as you find.The wider issue in this specific case is quite another matter I grant you.Nothing more guaranteed to set the teeth of one who is the recipient of such a turkey (corpse) than to read someone exalt its virtues,either online or in the MR press.

But I do take your point seriously.It will be instructive to read what happens in forthcoming issues of the various magazines.

Come come now Ian you and I both know we will be reading the usual b@llsh!t no-one has the front to tell it as it should be, which is the norm' I.E.  utter tosh.  :mosking:

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

Come come now Ian you and I both know we will be reading the usual b@llsh!t no-one has the front to tell it as it should be, which is the norm' I.E.  utter tosh.  :mosking:

Tongue in cheek and trying to be fair...honest. We don't know just what percentage of this piece of expensive kit is fit for scrap.What we read here is pretty conclusive I would say but there again there are a couple of posts with positive things to say about it.I sub to Model Rail and I usually get fair reviews from it.I can't speak for the rest.I have no crystal ball but I did warn of what might happen (hoping it wouldn't) several weeks ago because our Danish friends have form on this.Thing is if you do get a fault free example then it is potentially a good model with excellent performance.Unfortunately buying one is akin to a game of Russian roulette with V Putin across the table....click or bang ? At £154 in any case there are imperfections that need correction....plates,boiler stays and no I don't like the smokebox door because it does not convince me ( a personal thing )..All of this adds up spending more on something that taking quality of finish into consideration is worth a good deal less than the asking price.But there again,Heljan are not alone in producing early Xmas turkeys are they ?

Hornby and Heljan seem to particularly badly affected by design mistakes, production line assembly errors and losses in transit. Is it my imagination, but Bachmann don't seem to be affected to anything like the same extent? They are I believe greatly assisted by the fact that their parent company, Kader Industries also own Sander Kan, who assembled Hornby's models back in the day when Hornby were in their pomp. Bachmann limit themselves to a very conservative programme of releases each year and their models seem to take at least twice as long as everyone else to reach market. None the less, their models are usually well researched (*), robust, correct in most details, straightforward and generally reach their customers in one piece! That might not sound very glamorous, but that's the kind of bread and butter business sense that prevents the company's reputation ending up in the toilet and keeps the administrators and creditors at bay.

I should add that I am not particularly a cheerleader for Bachmann (I find their motors and electrics to be frankly crude), but I think the other manufacturers could learn lessons from them.

Andy.

*Bachmann Modified Hall excepted.

• Like 3

It is important to distinguish between imperfections that reflect design compromise or research failings, with the result that the product is inaccurate compared to the prototype, and imperfections that mean that the product is incomplete/damaged and/or does not function as intended. This thread records both, but it is the latter than concern me. Yes, an experienced modeller can correct some of the faults in the second category - it's sort of what we do. But test it this way. What if you had bought one of the faulty models for a sons/daughters birthday. Surely the minimum we expect from a product that is fit for purpose, that is, you can take it out of the box, plonk on the track and away it goes. 

It doesn't matter whether the failure rate is 10%, 30% or 50% - the second category failures recorded in this thread are shocking, and we need to call that out.

I find it very hard to believe that the kind of damage seen on models like Rob's would have been present when the model left the factory. For it to have done so there would have to be no Quality Assurance at the factory whatsoever. So if that's the case you have to wonder where in the distribution chain it's happening. On the wagon from the factory to the docks in China? On the ship from China? How much shock is an ocean going container ship really subject to?

My own guess (and I admit it is only a guess) is that much of this damage is happening once the goods are in the hands of couriers in the UK. Having recently worked for a well known UK national parcels company I've seen the casual way packages are just thrown around, dropped and left at the bottom of huge piles of other parcels. The emphasis in these companies is using cheap, agency, mainly EU labour to 'tip' artic trailers as fast as possible in order to turn the wagons around ASAP. It takes two blokes about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours to tip a 45ft long, 9ft wide trailer that is loaded from floor to ceiling (about 9ft) solidly with parcels. Just how much care and attention do you think is lavished on each particular parcel?

Notwithstanding that, the manufacturers should be designing packaging that can withstand significant shock, impact and load. I wonder if any of them actually test the packaging by sending their products out onto real world distribution networks to establish whether it's fit for purpose?

One final point. My 47xx is superb, but how much of that is down to the fact that I picked the model up from the retailer in person rather than entrusting it to Parcel Farce or Herpes?

Andy.

• Like 1

Thankyou all for your kind responses and suggestions re 4706, I shall think of some way to fit front stay bars which look the part.

As to the general issues of manufacture and packaging, the best I have seen is thin foam inside fairly basic plastic shrouds which have bubble locks (if that makes sense) and 'open out' when you want to remove or replace the model, set into foam cutouts in a box, absolutely shock proof, but probably costs more than the current pre-formed plastic housings which are the norm for the British market.

I assume that it's cheaper to make the current housings even for 1,000 or so models. And boxes which accommodate foam are large and thus more expensive to store and transport. 

I agree Bachmann seem to be rather slower than Hornby at the moment, and their British outline models are maybe a tad more robust than Hornby, but have you ever seen a second-hand Bachmann Standard 4MT 2-6-4T which can survive a courier without injury?   Two models which are remarkably fragile in the second hand world are the Hornby Schools and Standard 4MT 4-6-0, both of which tend to disintegrate if not retained by annoying transit brackets, or about 30 very carefully installed foam blocks..

But I digress. I am not expecting Heljan to react in any public way to the 47XX 'returns' issue unless it is over about 30% or more into the rubbish skip, oh sorry, 'Danish recycling facility'. 

For the 47XX buyer a purchase is either a complete gamble, or via a retailer who will open and check a model. But this is true for all modern RTR locos, less of a gamble with some models and manufacturers than others.

I feel sorry for the retailers who send to overseas buyers given they may not recover the cost of the return, and of course it doesn't make for a very good buying experience when a model arrives by post or courier with damage.   Maybe the unwillingness of buyers to pay more for effective packaging and better q c is to blame? There must be a curve or quotient where costs, sales and returns add up to a sustainable profit, perhaps we should ask someone like Dave Jones or Simon Kohler?  :)

Oh and I agree with most of the above post from 7007GreatWestern except it is my guess that the 47XX has got some issue around the front area which leaves it prone to damage. (heavy boiler?)  The preponderance of small bit loose or missing does rather support the view that repeated shocks and vibration are likely causes of this 'damaged' and unfit-for-purpose issue.

I keep thinking of a comment made a few pages ago, which mentioned kit-building, so a warning on the 47XX box might help, 'This RTR model is suitable for kit-builders, and is assembled in an approximate manner for guidance'.    :) 

• Like 3