Heljan GWR 47xx Night Owl

Hilux5972

When I received my 47XX from Rails a few hours ago I was pleased to see that it looked right in its plastic shroud, footplate stays in place, but when I placed it on my test track, oh dear, front axle awry, oil marks on paint.  Nor sure about it really...I'm not very keen to waste a couple of hours and about UKP20 to send it back from NZ.  

attachicon.gifImg_9402a_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gifImg_9396a_r1200a.jpg

I had quite high hopes for this model. I wonder what proportion are faulty?  Given the issues with the front pony truck are there any things I might consider to make it good or should I just sigh and end it back?

Looking at the photos, I would say the axle is not properly clipped into the front pony and should (famous last words) be easy to clip in.

As for oil, can it be wiped off? Or has it eaten into the paint?

JSpencer has beaten me to it. The front axle looks fixable.

As for the oil, in the photos I think it actually improves the model, making it look like a clean but used example of the class. As long as it doesn't attack the paint, I would add to it with some mild weathering.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's not really clear from the photos whether the pony wheelset is not properly clipped into its truck or the truck itself is distorted.

If the former, it should be the work of a few moments to fix; if the latter, definitely send it back. 

On an unlined loco, the oil is unlikely to damage anything and should come off easily with careful use of a cotton bud dampened with a drop of detergent or lighter fuel.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

I was going to buy 4704, but can't bring myself to given what looks like unpainted plastic pipework on the right hand side of the loco, together with the poor assembly. Such a pity, but let's hope they can resolve these issues with a new production run in future. 

Edited by Snowpig

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the photos, I would say the axle is not properly clipped into the front pony and should (famous last words) be easy to clip in.

As for oil, can it be wiped off? Or has it eaten into the paint?

Some O2 suffered the pony truck skew. Just clip back in place and it should be ok....fingers crossed.This saga is becoming dismayingly familiar though.A great shame....and surely an avoidable one?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was going to buy 4704, but can't bring myself to given what looks like unpainted plastic pipework on the right hand side of the loco, together with the poor assembly. Such a pity, but let's hope they can resolve these issues with a new production run in future. 

I can understand frustration over the assembly issues, but not buying it because of that piece of pipework - seriously?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I really hope all the modelling magazine reviews go to town on this model when reviewing it and not gloss over all its faults. We don't want bullsh*t.

Agree Robin. But that depends on whether they get a "good 'un" to review or not.....Serendipity....Given my experience with the O2,I'm willing to bet the 47XX will out perform most other r-t-r steam image models on the market......provided its bits and drive train stay in place and function correctly and you don't have to fish them out of the box in kit form or as in one case a piece of twisted scrap metal.

I have to say I was lucky with the O2 but I certainly am not going to push my luck with one of these.....well not until there's a massive price crash.

• RMweb Premium

I can understand frustration over the assembly issues, but not buying it because of that piece of pipework - seriously?

Unfortunately I don't have much spare time with job, kids, other priorities etc. so I have to be realistic and say I won't get around to doing it. If I had the time then I could, but not being a confident modeller I would be worried about stuffing it up !

However, it also does seem a bit of a silly slip up on Heljan's part for a not inexpensive model.

Edited by Snowpig

• RMweb Gold

The front axle is a very sloppy fit the slightest bump will knock it out I will glue a piece of brass tube in the truck I've already weighted it & fitted a Romford axle, I keep finding things as I go along

I have sorted the derailing out and it runs very well if you have made loco kits you in theory should be able to fix it, it only my kit building skills that have allowed me to make it work to be honest I

should have throw it back in the box and taken it back, I'm happy I've fixed it but I should not to have to be the case it's a fixable lemon.

Good luck to any one who tries don't attempt it if you are not confident or unsure.  

Robin since when have magazines done honest reviews even Tony Wright got it wrong with the 42/52/72xx unless he had a doctored model.

Edited by 81C
  • Like 2

Mine arrived a few days ago. Only just had the chance to look at it and both sets of cab steps are broken clean off and there are various other bits in the box which I suspect are not meant to be floating around. Needless to say I'm not a happy bunny. Will be phoning the shop tomorrow to arrange a return and hopeful replacement

Edited by rovex

It's not really clear from the photos whether the pony wheelset is not properly clipped into its truck or the truck itself is distorted.

If the former, it should be the work of a few moments to fix; if the latter, definitely send it back. 

On an unlined loco, the oil is unlikely to damage anything and should come off easily with careful use of a cotton bud dampened with a drop of detergent or lighter fuel.

John

I removed the pony truck, noting that the retaining screw was loose, clipped the axle back into the pony truck and it seemed well, but presenting a coupling to the the pony truck it broke in half, the lug on the end has sheared off, so I suspect it was bent an/or stressed by the time spent in the plastic packaging with the axle 'out' as it were.

I am going to try to devise a repair, which might mean I can't ask for a replacement or refund?   Or maybe Rails can use their discretion.

In my experience the oil on paintwork never comes off, it does something to the paint, given that it has been there for weeks/since manufacture.

Sigh.  It's very inconvenient for me to even get to a post office let alone pay the £20 air freight back to Rails, so I will do that as a last resort only.  No way was this model fit for purpose..I have photographed all the damage.     I may well keep it I am so angry!  :)

Some O2 suffered the pony truck skew. Just clip back in place and it should be ok....fingers crossed.This saga is becoming dismayingly familiar though.A great shame....and surely an avoidable one?

Well I thought so too but it broke in half when light pressure applied to the coupling pocket, as described in previous post. The fracture is between the pony truck body and retaining lug, not even superglue would work, so I am going to try a thin plate shaped like a tag with a hole for the retaining screw and the main part of the tag taped or glued to the top of the pony truck, if my fingers and eyesight permit.  

If that fails I have two options;

1/ ask a more skilled member of my family to devise a repair

2/pay a carer to drive to the post office with NZ$50 (£25) and send it back to Rails.  I can't see Rails paying the the carer!

I also have a black BR version coming.... from AJM but that was delayed a few days before despatch, possibly they actually checked the model and/or made sure it was ok. I hope so!

All a learning curve.  I am seriously thinking of giving up on new models, the risks of duff ones arriving and going back to and from NZ is just too annoying...  my Hornby Sir William Stanier had to go back to Rails too, paint marks, lug, crosshead fell out, and so on.  It is just such a colossal waste of time, and reimbursement is very slow, and doesn't cover what is for me a full day wasted.

Edited by robmcg

Disappointing to say the least on a model of which is fast approaching the £200 mark on RRP.

My only experience of Heljan is their excellent Class 26, 27 and 33 diesels, however their steam locomotives leave a lot to be desired in the quality control department.

Shame really, could of been a superb rendition of this class of loco.

• RMweb Gold

Mine had a few marks, I just wiped them off with a wet tissue.

Interestingly they only appeared once the model was ventilated out of the box, I noticed in the first few days each unwrapping produced a few (I thought it was my oily hands at first), but this has gone.

At a minimu i’d Get the pony truck swapped. I had to persuade mine into shape initially.

My original thoughts was to replace it, but after my “floor” test was convinced it was my track, though I may yet try some alternative work on it.

At risk of boring everyone, here is the fractured pony truck. 

I will post the 'repair' when it eventuates in a few hours after some delicate work with cardboard, scissors and tape. :)

post-7929-0-13496500-1523571378_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-21799700-1523571407_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-08388200-1523576008_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-55466400-1523576042_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-37821200-1523576141_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-65521300-1523576167_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-56456300-1523576190_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-06294300-1523576224_thumb.jpg

note; had to shave a bit off the area around the mounting screw to align the screw with the hole.

So no tools required except scissors and screwdriver. Of could be done better, with metal and glue etc....

but it runs ok on my track and looks ok to me, above all I do not have the most annoying process of re-packaging the model and returning it.

I can even joke about the 'factory weathering' now.  :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

Rob, if you had returned the model as faulty, Rails should refund the postage costs - you should ask them first, of course. On the rare occasions I have had to return models to Hattons, they have refunded my costs as well as sending replacements.

Just when you thought you had won, the second 47XX arrived, this one the BR black version, 

with an ominous ratting box, the packaging was excellent, no marks, stout carton, bubblewrap inside, but it still rattled.

the pictures below tell the story

post-7929-0-58179500-1523584833_thumb.jpg

observe the wheels in the shroud.   not good.

post-7929-0-68505300-1523584882_thumb.jpg

Whole front of engine detached and loose in shroud.

post-7929-0-13228900-1523584942_thumb.jpg

handrail on this side has 2 stanchions loose.

post-7929-0-17844300-1523585063_thumb.jpg

Not sure if this is easily fixed, does anyone have an idea? 

I find myself wondering where Hattons found two apparently undamaged versions?  This one looks like is was poorly assembled and quite possibly parts loose even in the factory.

I expect this model on the basis of this thread at least to be a failure of monumentally annoying scale on the part of Heljan and the factory which produced it and if I was a retailer I would send them all back. There will be a lot of work dealing with refunds.

Or maybe buyers actually like to reassemble models?

NEVER AGAIN , Heljan!

edit, I notice with dismay that although the front frame might be successfully repaired, also the front wheels, there are no smokebox-footplate stay bars to be found anywhere, I have carefully inspected the packaging, but nothing.    And I do not have the dexterity to re-insert the handrail stanchions.  

edit 2  I found one smokebox stay in a fold of the cardboard box.  I had another look at the GWR green box and found three pipe assembly bits! Injector pipes or something?   I have now enquired about sending both back from NZ for full refunds, I don't feel that I should pay c300 pounds plus for such poorly assembled models.  

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

If this model were a motor car surely it would have been recalled by the manufacturers by now? I am not in favour of manufacturer bashing, and indeed - as with others - have some excellent Heljan diesels in my 'fleet'. But I think that (?) UK retailers ought to act together on this. Some combination of design fault, sloppy manufacturing and lack of quality control appears to have resulted in a product that is just not fit for purpose.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There's a thread elsewhere on plastic loco kits. Following Robs posting it would appear that Heljan have entered the market. Shocking and of course, a huge disappointment to those that have been waiting a long time for this model.

Edited by Legend

the packaging was excellent, no marks, 

the pictures below tell the story

attachicon.gifImg_1716_r1200.jpg

NEVER AGAIN , Heljan!

Whoa!

Hang on a minute, Rob.

You said "the packaging was excellent, no marks" and yet in your first picture, I can clearly see the top RHS of your box is torn!?!

Now, I'm not trying to excuse Heljan here BUT it does look to me that your box is suggestive of damage in transit.

Also, did you say you bought this one from "AMJ"? I don't know of them at all but is it likely they would ship an item that clearly has multiple issues like this, clearly visible and audible?

To me, this looks more like an issue with your chosen postal service. I hope you can claim against your insurance, rather than laying the blame at Heljans door.

I'm just trying to introduce a bit of clear headedness* here before we all descend into a "blame Heljan for everything" frenzy.

John.

Edit: *Perspective! The correct word came too late.

Edited by Allegheny1600

• RMweb Premium

Whoa!

Hang on a minute, Rob.

You said "the packaging was excellent, no marks" and yet in your first picture, I can clearly see the top RHS of your box is torn!?!

Now, I'm not trying to excuse Heljan here BUT it does look to me that your box is suggestive of damage in transit.

Also, did you say you bought this one from "AMJ"? I don't know of them at all but is it likely they would ship an item that clearly has multiple issues like this, clearly visible and audible?

To me, this looks more like an issue with your chosen postal service. I hope you can claim against your insurance, rather than laying the blame at Heljans door.

I'm just trying to introduce a bit of clear headedness here before we all descend into a "blame Heljan for everything" frenzy.

John.

He said " the packaging was excellent, no marks, stout carton, bubblewrap inside" and actually others with admittedly not quite as damaged locos have said the same . See post 671 as further example saying much the same .

Edited by Legend