Heljan GWR 47xx Night Owl

Hilux5972

With all the wailing & gnashing of teeth over this model, I opted to play things safe & to visit my preferred local retailer - the station shop at Bishops Lydeard (West Somerset Railway)

All of their models had been inspected & were found to be fine.

Haven't run mine yet, but looking at the hyper fine flanges, I do wonder if Heljan have made them a bit too fine for the average layout

Mike C 

• Like 1

A forum member has forwarded the following to me: he had emailed Heljan to ask if there was a response to the issues arising.

Must say that receiving this e-mail is a surprise to us.

We have not had one single feedback of any issues to the 47xx model, so we
don't know what you are talking about.

We don't follow forums and if something is wrong with a model we do hope
that the customer will contact the retailer where he/she bought it from.

He/she can also send us an e-mail on Heljan@Heljan.dk

Best regards,

Kim Nannestad

www.Heljan.dk

So; if you do have problems do email Heljan if you want them to be aware in addition to contacting your retailer. Hopefully they can then make an assessment about how widespread (or not) these issues are.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy for the response.

I am not persuaded.

Given the quality control issues reported here it will be some time before I am persuaded to buy the 47xx.

In the mean time a video of a recently purchased 8F (less than half the price of the 47xx). 

It is hauling 26 wagons up my 1 in 56 grades and 36 inch curves.  There are two tweaks that need to be carried out.  The body shell needs to be eased around the motor terminals to reduce noise and Bachmann have thoughtfully provided a wee hole in the front weight where you can trickle in some extra lead shot - 15 gm seems fine.

Regards

Ray

Nice video- thank you! There is a fair bit of slipping in the latter half. In real life, I'd guess you would be on the limit for your loco.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy for the response.

I am not persuaded.

Given the quality control issues reported here it will be some time before I am persuaded to buy the 47xx.

In the mean time a video of a recently purchased 8F (less than half the price of the 47xx). 

It is hauling 26 wagons up my 1 in 56 grades and 36 inch curves.  There are two tweaks that need to be carried out.  The body shell needs to be eased around the motor terminals to reduce noise and Bachmann have thoughtfully provided a wee hole in the front weight where you can trickle in some extra lead shot - 15 gm seems fine.

Regards

Ray

Is that best it can do.  :sarcastichand:

Thanks 81C

I love the emoji!

Is that best it can do.  :sarcastichand:

Yes it was struggling - wagons all weighted as manufactured but with metal wheels.

Compared with my other steam outline models it is not a bad performance. Obviously I cannot compare with the 47xx but what else do you fancy?

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Gold

With the greatest respect Ray, whether the Bachmann WD beats the Heljan 47' depends on the criteria you use to compare them. I own both. The WD runs well enough but is distinctly 'growly'. In contrast the Heljan model is very smooth and extremely quiet. Another thing to bear in mind is that although the decoder is in the tender on both locos the WD doesn't even 'pick up' from the tender wheels - the Heljan model does.

I'd be very interested to see a head-to-head comparison of the Heljan model's pulling power against the WD and other existing eight coupled engines. Over on 'A Nod To Brent', Bob (81C) has already done a very impressive trial of the 4700's haulage prowess:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69664-a-nod-to-brent/?p=3127990

Charisma is a very subjective thing and probably entirely personal. But owning both I'd take the 4700 every time.......IF you can get one that survives the journey to your layout!

Andy.

The Bachmann WD is perfectly adequate for the length of trains that will fit on most layouts, and they do get better the more you run them.

Mine will start a couple of dozen wagons on a 1-in-50. However, that's only half what my BR 9F 2-10-0 from the same stable can tackle.

Note that neither figure is likely to be achievable with new locos straight out of the box. In my experience, all Bachmann locos get a lot more capable as they amass some serious mileage.

John

A forum member has forwarded the following to me: he had emailed Heljan to ask if there was a response to the issues arising.

So; if you do have problems do email Heljan if you want them to be aware in addition to contacting your retailer. Hopefully they can then make an assessment about how widespread (or not) these issues are.

Hope he sent them a link to this topic when he emailed them.

Rovex

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"We don't follow forums"

I find it difficult to believe in this day and age that companies don't read what is being said about them on the internet, as an essential source of feedback on their products and the market for them. How else would they have known that modelers were calling for the 47xx to be made, or where it was in wish list polls? I hardly think Heljan will have been bombarded with emails asking them to produce it. Any such contact would much more likely have been to Bachmann or Hornby in view of their track records with BR steam locos.

• RMweb Gold

I find it difficult to believe in this day and age that companies don't read what is being said about them on the internet, as an essential source of feedback on their products and the market for them. How else would they have known that modelers were calling for the 47xx to be made, or where it was in wish list polls? I hardly think Heljan will have been bombarded with emails asking them to produce it. Any such contact would much more likely have been to Bachmann or Hornby in view of their track records with BR steam locos.

I think the old saying is relevent here "those who are so blind that they don't want to see" , it sounds as if they have been reading the book of fob offs by Simon Kohler.  :mosking:  

Ray nice to see some one on this forum can take a "p!ss take" on the chin the emoji does help. :imsohappy:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I first thought..ok,fair enough,it's a Danish company and it's not the only one to avert its gaze from forums like this.Then I recall that members of this forum assisted Heljan with research and development for the O2.The communication is,I note,somewhat abrupt and expresses neither apology nor regret though that might be a linguistic matter ( Danes are normally fluent in English however ).

It is hardly reassuring,sadly.

Tony,

I'm a regular visitor to your YouTube channel - Alexton is a really nice layout. I hope you'll post some video of your 47xx. It should make a very interesting comparison with your 'Big Bertha' 0-10-0.

My 47' is superb, though I seem to be have been particularly lucky and you have to feel for the folks who have been let down. 

Andy.

Thanks Andy

Glad you like the footage (and Alexton!)

Re 4706 it does look like I landed a good one but, this is weird, I assume Heljan must test run their models?!  I bought the thing from Model Railways Direct in Portishead nr Bristol (Shout out to Jo and Mark!)  and it was clearly unopened and unsullied.  However the wheels on the loco were filthy with that tell tail black track pickup arch tar like stuff?! 

Ran ok on the rolling road but stuttered on the track.  Thought for a minuite that it would have to go back but a good meths and fibre brush clean and all is well?!  (My track may not be perfect but there was a substantial amount of dirt....much more than 2 laps of Alexton could have deposited)

Heljan, time to clean your test kit......?

Motto......If you get a poor runner from the box take a look at the treads!!!

Other than that very nice indeed!

Phew....dodged a bullet maybe!

Tony

• Like 3

I have forgiven Heljan...

what a lovely model!  Runs sweetly too.

Hardly had a to a thing to it, virtually straight from the box.  :)

post-7929-0-87046800-1523934080_thumb.jpg

please note, width of front wheels edited, also driving axle centres blackened, otherwise fairly close to the truth. 

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 12

I have forgiven Heljan...

what a lovely model!  Runs sweetly too.

Hardly had a to a thing to it, virtually straight from the box.  :)

attachicon.gif4706_47XX_GWR_portrait40_1abcd_r1200.jpg

please note, width of front wheels edited, also driving axle centres blackened, otherwise fairly close to the truth. 

I'm glad you've sorted out the faults that you had Rob and are happy with the model. I'm waiting for my late BR green version. 

• Like 2

The traction much as expected from the heavy construction. Have I missed seeing a loco weight figure in this thread, or are we still waiting for some kind owner to put it on the scales?

...However the wheels on the loco were filthy with that tell tail black track pickup arch tar like stuff?! ...

Without going for a look at the manufacturing facility, difficult to know the origin. Residues from casting, plating, assembly processes (including atmospheric vapours in the assembly area) which then get deposited onto the rails of test tracks and transferred to tyres?

Very variable, even within a single manufacturer's location. Buy two or more in one purchase, nominally identical from what is probably the same batch, some mucky, others pretty clean. Something of a rarity to find a new model with the tyres and wiper tracks geninely free of any greasy muck. I run all new items (powered and not) on a dedicated test circuit for at least an hour to get the worst off with some in session track cleaning before going on the layout proper.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D