Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coppercap said:

I've got loads of photos of 4110's journey from Barry to Southall along the A40, and then the unloading. Were you a GWRPG member back then? I was.    

Yes! For quite a few years until I moved away. - I was living the other side of Heathrow at the time.

I'm not sure I was there when 4110 arrived, I certainly remember the 28xx arriving and also some of the open days.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Yes! For quite a few years until I moved away. - I was living the other side of Heathrow at the time.

I'm not sure I was there when 4110 arrived, I certainly remember the 28xx arriving and also some of the open days.

I was a member from the very early days in 1976 until it all started to fall apart. Lived in Heston, not far from Bob G. We must have met there at some point!

Edited by Coppercap
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Coppercap said:

I was a member from the very early days in 1976 until it all started to fall apart. Lived in Heston, not far from Bob G. We must have met there at some point!

I suspect we did meet then... although I reckon the date will be later.  We were still living in Yateley until 1977 and I reckon it would have been the early 1980's when I joined the GWRP - pretty much at the same time that Southall was being set up.

I will try and find the photos tomorrow.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Go on, Go on, tell us, which member of the Accurascale team is he?

Considering only 3/17 team members live in Ireland it’s more like not to be 🤪🤪

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, McC said:

Considering only 3/17 team members live in Ireland it’s more like not to be 🤪🤪

Glad the klaxon is still working ;) 

Useful to narrow down the possibilities tho... 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Glad the klaxon is still working ;) 

Useful to narrow down the possibilities tho... 

Oh we’re always watching. Always 

🫣

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

Already one on ebay with a standing bid of £180.

K2304 is the example.

With Kernow offering them at £189.99, bidding should not go much further. I'd pay the extra £10 to get a mint one from the original supplier, rather than an ebayer I don't know. . 

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

97 now safely received, setting yet another high standard for RTR !

Slow running is a little uneven at present in time with the valve gear despite lubrication and running in, visually checked and nothing appears out of alignment. Will continue with more running in,

Dumb question : DC running still requires a decoder for sound ??

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

With Kernow offering them at £189.99, bidding should not go much further. I'd pay the extra £10 to get a mint one from the original supplier, rather than an ebayer I don't know. . 

I would also be supporting the business that brought them to market rather than an unknown after-market source who might (or might not) be attempting to make a fast buck.  

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Slow running is a little uneven at present in time with the valve gear despite lubrication and running in, visually checked and nothing appears out of alignment. Will continue with more running in,

Not a dumb question at all. A DCC decoder will want to work off an AC current, whereas a DC loco will be just that, running off 12 v DC.

Personally, I don't know the extent of sound etc. (if any) that a DC controlled SRM will emit. Can I suggest a quick phone call to the people at Kernow - I have always found them to be very helpful and I am sure they will be able to assist you very quickly.

When I first entered DCC - sound fitted locos would only work on DCC - the world of electronics has changed an awful lot since then.

Good luck.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Putting this the other way round,if you like,currently you can operate some sound -fitted locos ( e.g.LokSound ) using a 12v DC analogue controller ( e.g.Gaugemaster) of suitable quality. You will get sound but without the sophistication of a decent DCC system. That is no guarantee that this would be the case with the steam railcar. There is no quick answer to this because there are so many variables involved such as your controller and track..

I could quote my own experience but that would not be of any use.Yes I have had what I might describe as a form of success but Neal’s advice is the way forward here. Ask. Good Luck.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have had good results with my DCC sound fitted Accurascale Manor running on DC. The chuffs are synchronised and apart from a lack of whistle sounds , all the expected sounds of movement are there, and the motor is controlled by the chip so very slow running and inertia are impressive.

Kernow state that the sound fitted SMR will produce most of the basic sounds on DC in their advertising so, having ordered one, I’m hoping for similar results - until I’m converted to DCC!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

What kind of controller are you using, Mike?

Got mine today, superb :

Railmotor1.jpg.67fd05dae6f1bf4ea1b897d29f463ccc.jpgRailmotor3.jpg.302ea2f257dffb9710023d4ffb38137c.jpg

2024-01-27_17h11_09.png.31c593b1b316952c16464b422007c594.png

DCC sound version, interior light brightness needed turning up (I thought they were broken), Whistles are a bit too loud so needed turning down, other than the chuffs no more CV tuning.

Very impressed, only slight gripe is a very slight low level hum out of the speaker when nothing is switched on (except power to track) but as its never quiet in the loft not really an issue for me.

Well done Kernow

• Like 17

Modelling question, while I wait on my No85 crossing the Atlantic, I do have the ModelU crew pack in hand waiting to get painted and installed. What colours of uniforms would GWR crews have worn in the 1912-22 era for this paint scheme? I’m assuming white shirts and plain black jackets, but willing to be surprised if it was something else.

Cheers,

Stephen Gardiner

Toronto, ON, Canada

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Not a dumb question at all. A DCC decoder will want to work off an AC current, whereas a DC loco will be just that, running off 12 v DC.

Personally, I don't know the extent of sound etc. (if any) that a DC controlled SRM will emit. Can I suggest a quick phone call to the people at Kernow - I have always found them to be very helpful and I am sure they will be able to assist you very quickly.

When I first entered DCC - sound fitted locos would only work on DCC - the world of electronics has changed an awful lot since then.

Good luck.

Hi Neal,

whilst you might be correct in saying that even if the model has a sound decoder it may not generate a sound under DC control (although that has not been my limited experience), I think it is safe to say that without a sound chip there is no possibility of a model creating a sound under either DC or DCC control.  That is what I believe Mike had asked.  That having been said I think Triang once attempted to recreate a chuff sound using sand paper rubbing against a revolving cam connected to an axle.  No sound chip required for that solution.

Frank

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi Neal,

whilst you might be correct in saying that even if the model has a sound decoder it may not generate a sound under DC control (although that has not been my limited experience), I think it is safe to say that without a sound chip there is no possibility of a model creating a sound under either DC or DCC control.  That is what I believe Mike had asked.  That having been said I think Triang once attempted to recreate a chuff sound using sand paper rubbing against a revolving cam connected to an axle.  No sound chip required for that solution.

Frank

The best advice when asked is to ask the manufacturer..... I wouldn't want to be responsible for blowing up a new loco.

There is no such thing as a stupid question - every day is a school day.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Not being a regular user of sound-fitted items I was surprised by a 00-9 steam locomotive. 

It was, I thought, reluctant to run compared with what should have been an identical class-mate. 

Until I applied full power at which point it literally chuffed off!  Start-up and chuffing sounds emerged as it moved slowly and then gained speed much to my amazement. 

Upon checking the box label it did indeed include the letters -SF indicating sound fitted yet this was cheaper than the standard version. 

It may not be true for all sound-fitted items but it might be for the SRM that when DC control is used a few basic sounds are produced but uncontrolled. More power than normal is also required in order to “wake up” the DCC chip. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1