Dettingen GCR might have been layout

That's fine if you've got an excellent set of photos for the exact loco you are modelling at the date you are modelling.

To give you a working example, I have plans for a GC 9A (LNER N4) in late GC condition. Photos of such locos are surprisingly rare, because, I suppose, in the 1910s relatively few photographers carted their expensive equipment to the backwoods of South Yorkshire to photograph the things. (It was much easier, and more exciting perhaps, to go to Leicester or Calvert or wherever to photograph Directors and Atlantics and the like.)

That's without going into the world of wagons. Manvers Main had literally thousands of wagons, but good photos, the sort you need to make an 100% accurate model, of these things in pre-group days are few and far between. Who can say, for sure, what axleboxes wagon such-and-such was carrying in June 1912? Who can say, for sure, that they know all the livery variations and when they were introduced?

I am all for trying to achieve accuracy, my point is that some of the data doesn't exist. And it's hazardous to assume, for example, that all the locos of an old, small class were identical.

• Like 3

You get as close as you can with the Research you can do. Then from your general railway knowledge you make a best guess at the rest. In this instance it does seem that there were two distinctly different liveries carried, based around single or double white lines. As for the cab inside, it is done so unless some definitive proof show up it is green with black surround at the back.

Richard

• Like 4

The pain Of pregrouping

First hurdle, the many colours on a paint job. First to mask off the green to start applying the black.

post-23520-0-43124100-1517850995_thumb.jpg

Upon removal though it lifted the paint! And the rivets! Plasticard does not necessarily need a primer but the paints grip is a little hit and miss sometimes.

post-23520-0-82157600-1517850981_thumb.jpg

Reapply rivets

post-23520-0-12395000-1517850965_thumb.jpg

And repaint

post-23520-0-08217300-1517851283_thumb.jpg

Like a lot of aspects with this build it is a few steps forward one back.

On a much more positive note I got sent some great details for this build from the great central journal. Thanks Dave.

Richard.

Edited by richard i
  • Like 7

In the very small time I have had recently I have built up the pipework which goes on the front end of the loco.

I would like to say that I will now have more time as winter track season has just ended, however the spring season starts in a week's time.

post-23520-0-59561300-1518357420_thumb.jpg

I need to then respray in primer to recover the brass, then paint in GCR green. That is a race against time as my pot is drying out. I should have brought another pot in November at Warley. Instead I will need to find a close match here, especially as I have already painted up the backend of the loco.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

In the very small time I have had recently I have built up the pipework which goes on the front end of the loco.

I would like to say that I will now have more time as winter track season has just ended, however the spring season starts in a week's time.

attachicon.gifIMG_4549.JPG

I need to then respray in primer to recover the brass, then paint in GCR green. That is a race against time as my pot is drying out. I should have brought another pot in November at Warley. Instead I will need to find a close match here, especially as I have already painted up the backend of the loco.

Just pull your finger out and get on with it.

I know I am a fine one to talk , how many part started kits of mine have you finished? And you only had some of the parcels stock.

Little pieces continue to be made.

A group around a dime, think 5p piece.

post-23520-0-83082500-1518630399_thumb.jpg

There are two that connect to the boiler, injectors?

One on the smoke box with the wheel and two valves, no idea what it does, lubricant? Steam blower?

Then at the bottom a modified handrail pillar which might work , it is still a work in progress.

There is a part of me that feels I should learn, as a modeller I see it so I model it, no idea what it does though.

Richard

• Like 6

Preparation for the next project and a first foray into using a laser cutter. Much still to learn.

Not my artwork. That I also need to learn. Keeps the old grey cells working

post-23520-0-18621000-1518789860_thumb.jpg

Not all came out as expected. Must improve knowledge of the machine settings

post-23520-0-04012900-1518789924_thumb.jpg

Must not let it distract too much until l have finished the 12am.

Just had a couple of afternoons free before the next track season starts and swallows up all my free time .

Richard

• Like 5

Looks like a couple of Barnums?  I think with the silhouette cutter half of the battle is finding (or stumbling upon) a setting that will cut the material without unduly wearing the blade.  The other half of the battle is resisting the temptation to put every little piece of detail on the drawing.  It's easier to draw it than it is to cut it, and assemble it later!  It's a very useful tool to have though- mine will certainly be seeing a fair bit of use this year.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on. 

After another weekend on duty and having to be up to midnight and beyond. It looks like more has been done.

post-23520-0-56116300-1518998609_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-93018400-1518998619_thumb.jpg

Some jobs like lining buffer beams are just not photogenic in its own right.

That just about completes the work above the running plate. Now to get to work on the sand boxes brakes and accompanying rods etc. with my free time that is a couple of months of five minutes here and there. I know for some it would be a matter of days.

Richard

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have a copy of a letter from a gentleman who was a locomotive inspector at Leicester. He clearly remembered lots of GC green engines on shed (I suspect they were mostly green at Leicester) and no two were exactly the same shade. So perhaps some were dull.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed something on an earlier picture, which I have cropped:

attachicon.gifB0695F12-A504-47B7-BF19-7D49C80E9378.jpeg

Now, GCR locos are many things, but they are never dull!

Having known Chris who owns and mixes Precision Paints for many years, he can an opinion that may differ from the majority. 

If the colour is for the majority it will be down to the gwr rather than the gcr. If it were the other way around there would be far more rtr out there for the gcr. Three locos and two wrong but lettered wagons does not a railway make.

But I like building so that's fine.

Richard

P.s. Not digging at midland. Just picking a rival to the gcr.

• Like 1