New Hornby Collectors Club?

southernelectric

I see the general notification for those that signed up for it has arrived from Hornby regrding the new club.

Yes, I've just had mine for what it's worth.

Why on earth do they still try to push the 040 tank loco as benefit of joining ? I realise that the hobby is a broad church and as such must appeal to all, in particular the younger set.

I remember reading somewhere that there would be an option to receive a wagon up to a certain value, what happened to that proposal/idea?

I thought Hornby were going down the Bachmann Club model, which is very good value for what you receive.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

Yes, I've just had mine for what it's worth.

Why on earth do they still try to push the 040 tank loco as benefit of joining ? I realise that the hobby is a broad church and as such must appeal to all, in particular the younger set.

I remember reading somewhere that there would be an option to receive a wagon up to a certain value, what happened to that proposal/idea?

I thought Hornby were going down the Bachmann Club model, which is very good value for what you receive.

That ruddy 0-4-0!

You'd think that Hornby would have plenty to hand, given the gestation period for the revived club, however, its not going to be sent out to members until September, and the H class is not going to appear until at least October!

There was going to be standard and premium membership, as well as the option to select a wagon, but thats all gone and we're back to the 0-4-0  They could at least have given away a Sentinel!  As for the other club loco, even though its reasonably priced, I wonder if Hornby will shift the majority of the H class club special, or if it will end up in a retailers bargain section, like the white-roof Flying Scotsman did a couple of years ago?

I suppose plans for the revamped club went into reverse to the "old days" once a certain Marketing Gent returned.....

• Like 1

I've joined up to the club but it wont let me order the H Class, even though i'm logged in as a member. When I hot the pre-order button it just says "you have to be a member". is it becuase they have to process the membership order?? Anyone else had this problem?

I've joined up to the club but it wont let me order the H Class, even though i'm logged in as a member. When I hot the pre-order button it just says "you have to be a member". is it becuase they have to process the membership order?? Anyone else had this problem?

Have you actually linked the club to your Hornby login using the emailed link they have sent you?

Quite a hair raising experience to join. Clicked one membership and it goes total £56! Amount was correct when I proceeded to check out. Then despite authenticating the card twice,it timed out, paid via paypal in the end. More fun with the various addresses. Membership address, delivery address, billing address, my fault for being special there I suppose.

The 263 H is ordered though.

That ruddy 0-4-0!

There was going to be standard and premium membership, as well as the option to select a wagon, but thats all gone and we're back to the 0-4-0  They could at least have given away a Sentinel! 

As for the other club loco, even though its reasonably priced, I wonder if Hornby will shift the majority of the H class club special, or if it will end up in a retailers bargain section, like the white-roof Flying Scotsman did a couple of years ago?

Agree, would much rather have had a high detail wagon worth up to £30... At least the old club had the coice for a voucher OR club loco.

I doubt the Preserved H class will end up as a retailer bargain. For one, the SECR livery in standard range was very popular, and if this enters general circulation I can see it also being popular. Second, Hornby have abandoned their policy of offloading cheap to retailers. Third, Flying Scotsman has been done many times, and the white roof version was accompanied by a Banana at the front end...

I would hope if they are offloaded anywhere a good number would go the Bluebell Shop; those guys could probably shift them over a year.

Quite a hair raising experience to join. Clicked one membership and it goes total £56!

Same happened to me - I removed the toy loco from the order and it went to £28, then I added the toy loco back and it stayed at £28. Toy loco is destined for ebay when/if it turns up as I opted for the free postage options, and the monies raised for something more useful. Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 2

They sold 1500 Sir William Staniers and are now doing an extra batch. This H 263 will be at least as popular, if not more so.

By contrast, I feel that the 0-4-0 will be the least welcome loco despite being given away when joining. I think I have one the original 1980s 101 laying around somewhere.

That ruddy 0-4-0!

You'd think that Hornby would have plenty to hand, given the gestation period for the revived club, however, its not going to be sent out to members until September, and the H class is not going to appear until at least October!

There was going to be standard and premium membership, as well as the option to select a wagon, but thats all gone and we're back to the 0-4-0  They could at least have given away a Sentinel!  As for the other club loco, even though its reasonably priced, I wonder if Hornby will shift the majority of the H class club special, or if it will end up in a retailers bargain section, like the white-roof Flying Scotsman did a couple of years ago?

I suppose plans for the revamped club went into reverse to the "old days" once a certain Marketing Gent returned.....

Spot on post, if they replaced the 0-4-0 tank with a Sentinel this would motivate a fair few folk to join.

This new club is just very lacklustre to say the least.

Spot on post, if they replaced the 0-4-0 tank with a Sentinel this would motivate a fair few folk to join.

This new club is just very lacklustre to say the least.

This “new” club is too much like the “old” version. Sadly the club, advertised back in October looked a better revamp - appearing very similar to the Bachmann one. At present I cannot say that I tempted to join.

• RMweb Premium

This “new” club is too much like the “old” version. Sadly the club, advertised back in October looked a better revamp - appearing very similar to the Bachmann one. At present I cannot say that I tempted to join.

The new look to the Club certainly looked more appealing, but I suppose whoever decided to revert to more or less the old format sees the audience for the Club as being youngsters and people new to the hobby, rather than the likes of us. So Hornby wanted its Club to look very different to Bachmann’s. Certainly I can’t see any other audience being interested in the free loco. But if they are reverting to the old format, I really can’t see what the issue is with overseas membership.

Anyway I renewed but once I get my H Class 263 Club model, I will have to think seriously about whether to renew again. I suppose it will mainly depend on what future Club members only models are offered.

I would have loved to give it a miss, but it is the only way of buying 263.

I'm guessing there are a number of people in this position. There can't be too much overlap between those who will want one of the best models of recent years (the SECR H Class) and those who would happily run a 40 year old lump of approximated GWR tank engine. Indeed much of my investment in recent years has been to replace 1980s and 1990s era tooling (including my Hornby Mk1 and Pullman fleet). Why on earth will I want a club locomotive to go with my H Class.... So the question, as well as who are they aiming the club at, is why are they tying a top-of-the-range model to a child-orientated club???

Lets hope Hornby offer a choice at some point between now and the club model being produced of alternatives (voucher please Hornby). Assuming the next batch of LNER teaks are of decent quality, I'd gladly have £25 off!

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

I would have loved to give it a miss, but it is the only way of buying 263.

I'm guessing there are a number of people in this position. There can't be too much overlap between those who will want one of the best models of recent years (the SECR H Class) and those who would happily run a 40 year old lump of approximated GWR tank engine. Indeed much of my investment in recent years has been to replace 1980s and 1990s era tooling (including my Hornby Mk1 and Pullman fleet). Why on earth will I want a club locomotive to go with my H Class.... So the question, as well as who are they aiming the club at, is why are they tying a top-of-the-range model to a child-orientated club???

Lets hope Hornby offer a choice at some point between now and the club model being produced of alternatives (voucher please Hornby). Assuming the next batch of LNER teaks are of decent quality, I'd gladly have £25 off!

They could have done Premium Membership £115 with a free H class.

• Like 2

If you are modelling a heritage line at least you do not have to join a collectors club to get a Hattons P class or a Rails Caley 812 0-6-0.

Have you seen how much Rails/Bachmann want for the Caly 812?  Or that the Hattons P is only just under the ton for a tiny 0-6-0?

On that basis, £28 club membership plus £99 for the H is pretty reasonable. 

Yes, it grates that the 0-4-0 is there, but you don't have to take it out of the box or run it.  Sell it, donate it to a Scout/Guide Christmas Fair for their raffle or tombola or some other equally deserving cause.  Or if you need to source a Secret Santa present...  :jester:

• Like 1

Have you seen how much Rails/Bachmann want for the Caly 812?  Or that the Hattons P is only just under the ton for a tiny 0-6-0?

On that basis, £28 club membership plus £99 for the H is pretty reasonable. 

Yes, it grates that the 0-4-0 is there, but you don't have to take it out of the box or run it.  Sell it, donate it to a Scout/Guide Christmas Fair for their raffle or tombola or some other equally deserving cause.  Or if you need to source a Secret Santa present...  :jester:

I paid £97.50 for my R3538 South Eastern & Chatham Railway H class and I don't wish to pay an extra £28 for an 0-4-0 and some magazines that I don't want. I think that the P class is worth £99 but I agree that some Bachmann prices are high.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was fortunate to browse the Collector Magazine yesterday. It’s a nice publication with no trace of Thomas and trackmats . The inside knowledge of Hornby would be primarily my reason for buying, but I really didn’t see anything in it I hadn’t gleaned already. So decided onto bother joining

• Like 3