Hornby Advent Calendar for 2014?

BR(S)

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone explain the seemingly endless digs at Hornby for delays, yet for months whenever I flick through a model mag I see the same double spread of Hattons' Bachmann 2014 Pre-order items that still haven't been released? The DRS 37 has been sitting there for as long as I can remember, yet I don't see Bachmann getting anything like as much stick for it.

• RMweb Premium

And Bachmann aren't cutting out the small model shops with no or severely cut down deliveries whilst trying to snuff them out by stealth through direct online sales instead.

Can anyone explain the seemingly endless digs at Hornby for delays,

For my part - in a word: exasperation. 

- Exasperation that for over ten years they have had diesels in their range which I would like (31s, 56s and 60s in particular), yet they always seem to avoid producing the (major) liveries I want, while repeating the same liveries over and over on certain classes (Blue 50, Large Logo 50, Blue 31, Green 31, etc, etc). I will happily respray my locos, but for as long as Bachmann and co. are producing liveries and classes I want, my money will keep going to them instead.

- Exasperation that when I write (twice) to Hornby (SK) giving constructive criticism of their products and suggesting improvements, he/they choose to ignore me and perpetuate the same errors/poor design, insisting that everything is fine. Meanwhile, Bachmann are on their third take of the 37, not to mention their second 150, etc, etc, improving their products each time

- Exasperation that when they do finally produce something I want and look forward to, I really don't think the product is good enough to warrant replacing my old stock – the lit Mk 3s and Mk 2e's being the latest examples.

There are other reasons as two posters have already mentioned, but the above examples are the issues that have sadly shaped my attitude towards Hornby over the past ten years, despite actually wanting to be a customer of theirs.

As a result, I simply cannot remember the last Hornby product I bought, despite the fact that my modelling interests cover the period late 70s onwards, i.e. the last 40 years. 

Meanwhile, my needs have been almost exclusively met by Bachmann and Heljan, whereas in my youth probably 90% of the stock I owned was Hornby. I really would like to see Hornby right up there with the rest of them again, yet they have drifted into irrelevance to me as a modeller.

By contrast, I am thinking how on earth am I going to afford all the things Bachmann are planning. Delays have actually never really bothered me. They just give me more time to save up. It’s the final product that is released (or not released as the case may be) that concerns me more.

Sorry, I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear and it certainly wasn't what I wanted to write.

Here's hoping for a better future for Hornby.

On the first day of Christmas

my true love sent to me:
An Exeter from Hornby (last one, I've weathered it and cut it up a bit for the scrapyard scene, thrown the box away !!)

On the second day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
2 Crosti 9F's
And an Exeter from Hornby (last one, I've weathered it and cut it up a bit for the scrapyard scene, thrown the box away !!)

On the third day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
3 Southern class 71's

2 Crosti 9F's

And an Exeter from Hornby (last one, I've weathered it and cut it up a bit for the scrapyard scene, thrown the box away !!)

On the fourth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
4 LSWR Radials
3 Southern class 71's

2 Crosti 9F's

On the fifth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
5 Class B17 4-6-0 "Barnsley"
4 LSWR Radials
3 Southern class 71's

2 Crosti 9F's

On the sixth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
6 Class J15 0-6-0 in LNER livery
4 LSWR Radials
3 Southern class 71's
2 Crosti 9F's

On the seventh day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
7 Class D16/3 4-4-0 in BR early emblem
4 LSWR Radials
3 Southern class 71's

2 Crosti 9F's

On the eighth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
8 Class 700 0-6-0 30693 in BR early crest
4 LSWR Radials
3 Southern class 71's
2 Crosti 9F's

On the ninth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
9 Class K1 2-6-0 62027 in BR late crest
4 LSWR Radials
3 Southern class 71's

2 Crosti 9F's

On the tenth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
10 Class 2-BIL 2 car EMU in BR green with yellow ends
5 GC class B17 4-6-0 "Barnsley"
4 LSWR Radials
3 Southern class 71's
2 Crosti 9F's

On the eleventh day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
11 Class 31 31452 in DCR green
4 LSWR Radials
3 Southern class 71's

2 Crosti 9F's

On the last day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
12 Class 7P Duchess 4-6-2 46247 'City Of Liverpool' BR green with early emblem
4 LSWR Radials
3 Southern class 71's

2 Crosti 9F's

God this take some cutting & pasting !!!!

Happy Xmas everybody !!

Brit15

Hornbys main problem is that keep on predicting release dates that they cannot keep to. Bachmanns main problem is that come next March they will announce models for production anticipated  in the next 18 months (ie hopefully by Sept 2016) yet the model press and retailers will immediately describe them as being new for 2015.

On the first day of Christmas

my true love sent to me:

An Exeter from Hornby (last one, I've weathered it and cut it up a bit for the scrapyard scene, thrown the box away !!)

On the second day of Christmas

my true love sent to me:

2 Crosti 9F's

On the third day of Christmas

my true love sent to me:

3 Southern class 71's

2 Crosti 9F's

On the fourth day of Christmas

my true love sent to me:

4 LSWR Radials

3 Southern class 71's

2 Crosti 9F's

On the fifth day of Christmas

my true love sent to me:

4 LSWR Radials

3 Southern class 71's

2 Crosti 9F's

On the sixth day of Christmas

my true love sent to me:

4 LSWR Radials

3 Southern class 71's

2 Crosti 9F's

On the seventh day of Christmas

my true love sent to me:

4 LSWR Radials

3 Southern class 71's

2 Crosti 9F's

On the eighth day of Christmas

my true love sent to me:

4 LSWR Radials

3 Southern class 71's

2 Crosti 9F's

On the ninth day of Christmas

my true love sent to me:

4 LSWR Radials

3 Southern class 71's

2 Crosti 9F's

On the tenth day of Christmas

my true love sent to me:

5 GC class B17 4-6-0 "Barnsley"

4 LSWR Radials

3 Southern class 71's

2 Crosti 9F's

On the eleventh day of Christmas

my true love sent to me:

4 LSWR Radials

3 Southern class 71's

2 Crosti 9F's

On the last day of Christmas

my true love sent to me:

12 Class 7P Duchess 4-6-2 46247 'City Of Liverpool' BR green with early emblem

4 LSWR Radials

3 Southern class 71's

2 Crosti 9F's

God this take some cutting & pasting !!!!

Happy Xmas everybody !!

Brit15

and......

On the thirteenth day you listed them all on ebay as unwanted gifts.

• RMweb Gold

For my part - in a word: exasperation. 

Sorry, I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear and it certainly wasn't what I wanted to write.

Here's hoping for a better future for Hornby.

Wanted to hear what the issues were as they are getting a fair bit of stick at the moment. I also get worried when companies spend more time on Facebook than looking after retailers and punters. I have visions of excitable and inexperienced 20-somethings who know nothing about trains (or anything!) spouting social media interweb nonsense and those who understand the marketplace being sidelined. Not that I've been there and watched companies sink under endless web 2.0 drivel........takes me back to the dotcom bubble!

Bachmann seem to have kept their eye on the ball maintaining relationships. http://Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=220

I'm curious what Hornby's strategy is with regard to customers and retailers, given their web sales activity etc.

Today's advent window does have a link to a competition: http://www.Hornby.com/competitions/2nd-day-of-advent-Hornby.  Not sure even Rule 1 will be enough to get the set on offer on to most people's layouts though!

What was the competition? When I clicked on it got a 404 error. Probably wouldn't have been able to participate as I live overseas, but still curious.

Archived