Hornby Advent Calendar for 2014?

BR(S)

I suspect that someone in the marketing department was told to "do something different with the advent calendar this year" and that this is the result.

All I really want is the chance to win some Hornby locos, I don't think there was anything wrong with last years calendar but maybe we aren't the target market any more.

Sadly Hornby don't have enough loco's to give out as prizes due to Unfulfilled orders from the manufacturers in China and the recent wharehouse (fire) sale...if Hornby's retailer's have any they should contact Hornby at their earliest convenience so that they can send all their loco's back enabling Hornby to offer better cpompetition prizes from their website! :beee:

The whole feel of the website and the advent calendar, seems like its presenting Toys. It's amateurish,  the marketers have not a clue. The Hornby board need to wake up, I've never before felt so insulted by a manufacturer,

I'm sure that the retailers feel worse!  

• RMweb Gold

The whole feel of the website and the advent calendar, seems like its presenting Toys. It's amateurish,  the marketers have not a clue. The Hornby board need to wake up, I've never before felt so insulted by a manufacturer,

I'm sure that the retailers feel worse!  

Surely the whole point of the Advent Calendar is that it is about toys and is aimed at youngsters (the religious element having long been lost from most such things)?   So I reckon the Hornby Board - if agreeing the calendar ever went to that level - would appear to have got it right.

Iv given up with Hornby buying new stuff Bachmann are way better quality decent detailing and far out do Hornby on the quality of loco running. Hornby delivery standards keep on slipping in November mate got a NR yellow loco delivered battered box obliterated model, August EWS loco battered box broken model, June Battered box bent model why cant Hornbys standard be like Bachmann item or items packed inside a box with protection and get here intact still brand new no problems

The only track record that most of the Hornby board have is in toy retailing at supermarkets.

The last but one offer, on the Advent calendar, will be a free Hornby Marketing Executive - the last offer will be two, one of whom will be in charge of turning out the lights!

• RMweb Gold

Iv given up with Hornby buying new stuff Bachmann are way better quality decent detailing and far out do Hornby on the quality of loco running. Hornby delivery standards keep on slipping in November mate got a NR yellow loco delivered battered box obliterated model, August EWS loco battered box broken model, June Battered box bent model why cant Hornbys standard be like Bachmann item or items packed inside a box with protection and get here intact still brand new no problems

Quite agree with you on their currently dismal quality control.But not with your assessment of loco performance.In most cases in my experience Hornby locos out perform their Bachmann counterparts.As an example,compare the running and haulage capacity of a Hornby A4 with its Bachmann equivalent.In reliability terms however Bachmann are clear winners in most cases.

But we're way off topic.

Bachmann have the better engine in them for running them super slow crawl speed Hornby conk out at super slow speeds but Hornby tend to pull more than Bachmann  like you say and id agree a bit depends on loco but you get more quality running performance with Bachmann over Hornby for your money for an overall superb package over Hornby

I see the refills for the Original Chocolate Machine Money Box (yesterdays Advent Calendar item) are listed as "out of stock".

Those who pre-ordered must be livid, especially as there's no guarantee of another batch being produced.

For anyone who's desperate to get hold of these, there might be some going on ebay later tonight, although they'll probably cost a few hundred ££'s.

(profiteering ba***rds)

Instead of asking Hornby to make your perfect loco, they now propose for 2015 a whole range accessories to allow modelers to knit their own!

You will have wools in all suitable railway colours such as Garter blue, BR green etc

Knit your own layout including track, trees and buildings.

This comm could actually be nice, human and funny, if they gave us other comm like Bachmann do telling us how models are progressing in the development chain.

• RMweb Gold

I see the refills for the Original Chocolate Machine Money Box (yesterdays Advent Calendar item) are listed as "out of stock".

Those who pre-ordered must be livid, especially as there's no guarantee of another batch being produced.

For anyone who's desperate to get hold of these, there might be some going on ebay later tonight, although they'll probably cost a few hundred ££'s.

(profiteering ba***rds)

Simply stacked too close too space heaters in warehouse. Now Hornby can truly be said to be liquidising their assets.

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann have the better engine in them for running them super slow crawl speed Hornby conk out at super slow speeds but Hornby tend to pull more than Bachmann like you say and id agree a bit depends on loco but you get more quality running performance with Bachmann over Hornby for your money for an overall superb package over Hornby

Well not in my experience.Up until very recently...and that in Railroad models only.....they use a 5 pole motor .Bachmann use a 3 pole which although very good doesn't do quite as well as the Hornby 5pole.Having said that,the performance of Hornby's 3 pole as in the P2 and the Railroad versions generally is really very good too.

Be that as it may,performance is only as good as the condition of your track and your controller and DC/DCC system.

Off topic again .Better stop now

The reason that the "Advent Calendar" is so appalling is that it's a cross-group effort, rather like the new look Hornby Club, they just change the picture, the underlying offers are apparently the same.

Airfix:         A Heinkel He111 (Not even a Spitfire or a Mozzie!)

Scalextric:  Some sort of a modern Bentley.

Corgi:        A London Transport Bus

Hornby:     Cock O' The North

All with tile artefacts and image shimmer.   Their web monkey must have started Xmas early.....

• RMweb Gold

Another product idea from Hornby for 2015, Hornby Playing Cards.

Have a go at "how to manage a model railway company", with a nice family game of Poker.

Now that has potential I think - depends on how many they've obtained and are selling but some playing cards can do rather well in the collectables market.

In his blog about duplication Simon Kohler states "Hornby Railways considered that the Margate based factory made ‘rather nice’ toy trains, which a modeller could change, adapt and adjust to create a passable model"

Simon spent years changing that way of thinking but I think the new lot are going back in that direction. The advent calendar is obviously aimed at a much younger audience which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I was just hoping they would be a bit more generous with prizes and that we could all join in.

Today Santa has got lost. Find him on the Hornby website and you can enter a draw to win a £100 voucher.

Perhaps he is with some Exeters. :jester:

Hmmm, that makes me wonder. I think the real reason for the shortage is because he took them and has plans to give them out at some point!

• RMweb Gold

In his blog about duplication Simon Kohler states "Hornby Railways considered that the Margate based factory made ‘rather nice’ toy trains, which a modeller could change, adapt and adjust to create a passable model"

Simon spent years changing that way of thinking but I think the new lot are going back in that direction.

But that doesn't stack up against the facts does it?  Admittedly last year's thinking but the 700, J15, and the 'Claud' aren't exactly 'toy market' fodder even if they happen to come with simplified production methods.  Coming forward the 'King' is hardly in the toy category either, in fact if anything it looks to owe more in constructional terms and separate parts to the 'Castle' .

I do however remain of the view that we might be approaching a 'watershed' for Hornby and unless the detailed models continue to deliver profits at the right level we might see their passing and a reversion to simpler models - but it hasn't happened yet and it doesn't seem to be exactly the message for 2015 announcements judging by what we have seen so far.  So despite some rather mixed and often unclear messages it appears that Hornby still has an interest in our part of the market for its 2015 releases.

And maybe next year they might even do an Advent calendar for grown-ups who just like playing with expensive, detailed, toy model trains?

Archived