Hornby Advent Calendar for 2014?

BR(S)

And maybe next year they might even do an Advent calendar for grown-ups who just like playing with expensive, detailed, toy model trains?

That would be an interesting challenge. It would be interesting to see Hornby's research team step up to questions for enthusiasts.

When was the locomotive that is scheduled to haul the Santa Special at the xyz preserved railway built?

Submit your favourite train spotting photograph of steam locomotives in action.

And I wonder if there'd be just as much mud-slinging here.

It's funny (or sad, I'm not sure which) to see us collectively getting into such a lather over the Advent Calendar. While the fun and games is clearly not intended to appeal to the 'discerning enthusiast' a lot of effort went into producing this.

People may jest, but coming up with 24 different activities across all the brands and then preparing them for web publication with professional graphics takes a lot more effort than a couple of junior marketing people over the course of an afternoon. There's really nothing wrong with the Christmas train or a £100 certificate for an ugly jumper as competitions as much as we like to joke about it.

We're making sport for the heck of it. And even if we don't participate in the competitions, by the number of comments here, lots of us are visiting Hornby's website every day to see what's next, so even if people think it's foolish, the team that put the Advent Calendar together has the last laugh - it's doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing.

It looks as though I am not the only punter exciting an opportunity to potentially win a prize every day.

Hornby has changed and we have to accept so best to bite our lip and not create a lather of knocking Hornby.

Who knows, if we are not all good children Santa will not come to us this year. Mind you though I think Hornby need to look at their Elf and Safety policy as Santa on the roof of a Javelin is likely to get a fatal shock from the overhead catenary.

Today's deal is the Flight of the Mallard set for £99.99. Ends at midnight.

When retailers are being starved of sets, especially sets like this that are great sellers, I find it difficult to understand why Hornby are giving them to the public at below trade cost.

• RMweb Premium

When retailers are being starved of sets, especially sets like this that are great sellers, I find it difficult to understand why Hornby are giving them to the public at below trade cost.

Do we know retailers cannot order this set? Presumably Hornby is selling at this price because it needs hard cash and doesn't want the warehouse full of unsold sets that may not shift very well after Christmas. This set may be a great seller but if retailers haven't ordered them, I can understand why Hornby doesn't want them hanging around.

Do we know retailers cannot order this set? Presumably Hornby is selling at this price because it needs hard cash and doesn't want the warehouse full of unsold sets that may not shift very well after Christmas. This set may be a great seller but if retailers haven't ordered them, I can understand why Hornby doesn't want them hanging around.

Yes we do -  I am a retailer. This set has not been available for some months either from Hornby or ABGee.

Steve

Model Railway Imports

Its only the same sort of thing as when Argos was flogging similar Tornado Pullman Express sets off last year for £99. 

Hattons list it (you have to google their listing) as Sold out/no longer available/unobtainable, their last price apparently was £144.  As I remember, when it was originally released it was a difficult set to get hold of. I suppose that the minions at Hornby decided it wasn't worth pushing/supplying the stock that finally dribbled in to retailers and held on to it for a pre-Christmas splurge.

Wonder what delights they'll have on offer tomorrow?

By way of a change to show some good quality marketing which engenders a bit of an 'aah' from the viewer/customer

No smart-alec comments from us either!

I am curious to know if anyone knows what make of vehicle the taxi is in the caption contest for December 10. It doesn't look all that British to me but I'm certainly no expert on such things.

I put "taxi" into the Corgi search box. It did return a taxi, along with an Avro Vulcan, 007's Skyfall DB5, a mini, some buses, the Concorde etc.

Archived