Severn Models - Buildings Kits in Etched Brass

severn

Very good etched kits, the Signal box cries out for an etched fully detailed interior though. I assembled it with solder for main parts, and cyano for the finer details. The roof is left removable, held in place with tiny neo magnets. A few extras like lamps were added, and there is already internal lighting.

The greenhouse and garden/Allotment scene is exceptional in detail, but I have to complete the construction over Easter. Suitable Monty's figures have been obtained for both the box and the garden area.

Both items are going on a new SR branch model, nothing strict about prototype details, just somewhere small to run models after a long absence due to ill health.

Stephen

Hi Stephen - absolutely you can request an interior kit! I plan to work on creating signal box interiors for 2mm, 4mm and 7mm scales in the very near future :-)

It has been a bit busy lately with shows every weekend, but soon I will be back on new kit design to expand the range.

• Like 3

Many thanks for the quick reply, looking forward to seeing an interior kit for the signal box, I regret I cannot attend MRC shows any more due to health mobility issues, so I'll keep an eye open on here and the website for any news.

I forgot to add I had some of the shed kits and they are as good as the other models.

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

Useful painting guide with lots of use of the Games Workshop Citadel Miniatures paints. Fortunately I inherited a collection of these from elder son after he gave up wargaming but pop into local shop occasionally for supplies of Mithril Silver & other evocatively named paints! They are good for such applications. But for larger 7mm structures you probably do need an etch primer for exposed surfaces,

Dava

• RMweb Gold

This weekend all the new models will be on display at the Andover Model Railway Show... http://www.amrc.hampshire.org.uk/page7.html 

Got some new tool kits in 4mm and 7mm.... They are not yet on the website but will go on next week - that is assuming the modellers of Andover don't buy them all ;)

4mm first :

med_gallery_23208_3492_179039.jpg

med_gallery_23208_3492_40328.jpg

and 7mm :

med_gallery_23208_3492_68723.jpg

med_gallery_23208_3492_48830.jpg

med_gallery_23208_3492_208173.jpg

I purchased both sets in 4mm scale at the York show and spent time over Easter building them. I rubbed the whole etch down with wet n dry as advised at the stand and they glued together with super-glue nicely. Extremely well made, easy to work with, very simple to put together and look great. Well, they do until I will ruin them when I paint them!!!! I see the painting advice in a previous post so that might help!  If I could afford it, I would have purchased some of the buildings in the 4mm range as well. Thank you for a great product!

Ian (no connection, just a very satisfied customer)

Edited by ianLMS

Hi Ian, I am glad you like them and that you saw the painting guide link, hopefully it will prove useful.

Roughening the surface of the brass is the key to sticking things with superglue - wet n dry is fine, as is just ordinary sandpaper. My current bit is just a scrap of 240 grit woodwork sandpaper.

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend I am at Bristol model railway exhibition with some new things on display...   http://www.bristolmodrailex.co.uk/page8.html

Here is a sneak peek of a new kit that is in development - the signal box interiors are on their way!

The first one to be ready is the OO / 4mm scale version, I will have this painted up display model for at Bristol (and taking pre-orders for the kit). The kits themselves should be ready in no more than 2 weeks. Soon to follow will be similar kits in 2mm and 7mm.

med_gallery_23208_3492_11525.jpg

med_gallery_23208_3492_260173.jpg

• Like 9

I finally got round to making up the 00 gauge workshop equipment. I was a little worried as I am not used to making etched brass kits. And some of this stuff is tiny.

But with a lot of care it has turned out really well I'm very pleased with it.

The new 4mm signal box interior kits are now in stock - I had a few available at the weekend for visitors to the Derby show and all the pre-orders went in the post already.

If you were waiting eagerly... get yours here ;)  >>  http://www.severnmodels.com

Here's a couple more images of it - kit D10.

The levers are in 3 fames of 12 each. If modelling the Mackenzie & Holland type 3 box that I make (kit D3) you will only need to use 2 of these, but I included 36 levers all together for those modelling larger boxes. The frame would also be quite straightforward to cut down too if you needed a number in between.

Also in the kit are the block instruments, bells, shelf, crossing wheel, armchair, wall clock, cabinet, stove & chimney pipe, and a hand coal shovel.

med_gallery_23208_3492_47224.jpg

med_gallery_23208_3492_222709.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I wish I had seen this prior to buying and making the Ratio version!! this looks so much better!!

Look forward to seeing what other 4mm kits become available and what is in the pipeline so I don't go out and buy an inferior plastic version!!!- maybe replicating some of the 2mm kits in the 4mm range would be good?? The buildings in the 2mm range would be great to have in 4mm!!!!

Good to see you like the new kit! There are always new things in the pipeline, the range expands a little each month.

The 2mm houses may be a bit too big to take into 4mm, the scale is double but the surface area quadruples which makes it use a lot of brass, and would end up rather expensive as a kit. I may do a couple and see if they are popular enough. I have plenty of ideas for small to medium sized items though.

In the meantime how about some shelters.... ideal for platforms, halt stations or bus stops!  2mm and 4mm versions now available.

4mm version : kit D9 contains two shelters, one steel frame type and one timber type, with seating and timetable signs:

med_gallery_23208_3492_183355.jpg

and similar in 2mm, but you get four shelters in kit N18, along with the seats and signs :

med_gallery_23208_3492_784.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The new 4mm signal box interior kits are now in stock - I had a few available at the weekend for visitors to the Derby show and all the pre-orders went in the post already.

If you were waiting eagerly... get yours here ;) >> http://www.severnmodels.com

med_gallery_23208_3492_222709.jpg

Any chance of a photo of the supplied etch please.

Edited by gwrrob

Certainly... D10 Signal Box Interior kit, and its instruction drawings :

Some of the assembly is fairly self-explanatory, but I draw up everything anyway for clarity. The top of the sheet is a labelled drawing of the fret, so it is easy to identify everything.

med_gallery_23208_3492_100209.jpg

sml_gallery_23208_3492_25066.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I bought some of your kits at Derby show - shed and tools - very nice etches, great instructions.

Here's the shed underway:

post-6675-0-18886500-1463811335_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-30601800-1463811348_thumb.jpg

Enjoying the build so far.

Any chance of the corrugated iron sheets in 7mm?

http://severnmodels.com/epages/eshop1179816.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop1179816/Products/M.1

• Like 1

Thats looking very crisp, I'm glad you are enjoying the build!

Derby was a really good show, some excellent layouts there.

At the moment I haven't made tooling to produce the corrugated at standard pitch in 7mm scale, but it is something I am considering for the future so watch this space.

Coming Soon :

Signal box interior kit for 2mm

Greenhouse kit for 7mm

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thats looking very crisp, I'm glad you are enjoying the build!

Derby was a really good show, some excellent layouts there.

At the moment I haven't made tooling to produce the corrugated at standard pitch in 7mm scale, but it is something I am considering for the future so watch this space.

Coming Soon :

Signal box interior kit for 2mm

Greenhouse kit for 7mm

Enjoying the builds and the challenge of soldering them together rather than using glue. I'm no expert at soldering and getting these done has certainly been an experience building exercise. That's not an adverse comment, just a reflection on hoe small and fine some of the parts are.

Here's where I'm up to:

post-6675-0-26240800-1464197221.jpg

Will keep an eye open for the 7mm greenhouse and corrugated iron.

• Like 1

Just got the Interior kit for 4mm to fit the Signal Box, very impressive indeed. I have started assembly but no camera at present to take shots. All assembly is solder, the 145degree type, which is easier on small parts. just make sure the minimum solder is applied to each joint, with loads of flux!  The Signal box it self was gently grit blasted with bicarbonate of soda powder to give a perfect brass matt finish, just right for the undercoats of cellulose red oxide car paint.

The grit blaster is a home made unit modified from a cheap airbrush. A word of warning, never bead blast brass at high pressure, it bends and distorts it due to the energy being applied to the objects surface. But Soda is gentle and used at about 40lbs per square inch. It is just abrasive enough to remove any surplus solder.

Stephen.

• Like 1