Hornby announce Maunsell S15

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the clarification.

Weren't some of the bogies used re-claimed from other uses?

Keith

Probably not, purely on the grounds that I don't think the outside frame bogies were used under anything but tenders.

The apparently random variations arise from tender exchanges and (possibly) bogie swapping between tenders from different batches during overhaul.

With the Water cart tenders, as they got old, withdrawn examples would have been cannibalised to provide spares for those remaining in traffic and there may even have been instances of "making one good one up out of two".

The Water carts were gradually displaced from 4-6-0s from the mid fifties as the withdrawal of 'Remembrances' and LSWR N15s provided a source of newer Urie tenders for re-use.

John 

Some ran with six-wheelers of which (I think) the ones already done for the King Arthurs are the right sort and a couple got ex-Schools tenders late on. 

The King Arthur 6 wheel tenders were 3500 gallon Ashford style with a higher footplate than the Eastleigh type. The only S15 to have one of these was 30847 from 1960 to withdrawal. The S15 4000 gallon 6 wheelers were a flat sided version of that attached to the Schools. In fact the some of the earlier School's tenders were modified flat sided ones that ran with for a while with Arthurs and Nelsons.

There certainly are: flat bottom, and arched bottom, if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, I can't remember which type came first!

Urie tenders had flat bottom bogie frames and later Maunsell arched( appearing from 1927). I think there were only 36 of the Maunsell arch bogie version, 10 flare top and 26 flat sided, their history is rather complex!

The only photos I've come across of tenders with the 'wrong' bogies are of N15s. 30738 had Urie tender 852 which in BR days had arch frame bogies, this was later transferred to 30795. 30768 received AVR fitted tender 885(ex 3225) in 1932 which was originally attached to S15 30828 and 'should' have arch frames but BR period photos show it with straight frames.

Apart from balance weights another thing to watch for is footsteps, these were straight on 30823 to 832 and curved on 30833 to 847. The final ten 30838 to 847 had smaller cabside cutouts to match the flat sided bogie tenders.

Graham

Edited by FourSUB

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this teaser image on the new 'The Engine Shed' blog on the Hornby website and it says there will be a look at the lastest decorated pre-production sample in the next blog.

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/welcome-to-the-engine-shed/

s15-Engine-Shed-Teaser-without-Skaledale

First impressions say it is going to be good!  :locomotive:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this teaser image on the new 'The Engine Shed' blog on the Hornby website and it says there will be a look at the lastest decorated pre-production sample in the next blog.

First impressions say it is going to be good!  :locomotive:

Photographs of the pre-production S15 sample are now posted on Hornby's "The Engine Shed" blog.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

Looking seriously nice... As a long term LNER modeller how could I justify one.... Oh that's right there is one on the NYMR.

Technically, there's 3! 825, 830 and 841. The latter two aren't much cop at present having both donated parts to 825. 830 at some point is destined to be restored though, your guess is as good as mine as to when though!

Just the excuse I need to have at least one as well!

Cheers

J

• 2 months later...

S15 box art now on the Hornby Website, showing the liveries of all 3 version... Must say they look very smart!  :locomotive:

SR Green

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/sr-4-6-0-maunsell-s15-class-sr.html

BR Early Black

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-4-6-0-maunsell-s15-class-early-br.html

BR Late Black

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-4-6-0-maunsell-s15-class-late-br.html

Hope this is of help.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

S15 box art now on the Hornby Website, showing the liveries of all 3 version... Must say they look very smart!  :locomotive:

SR Green

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/sr-4-6-0-maunsell-s15-class-sr.html

BR Early Black

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-4-6-0-maunsell-s15-class-early-br.html

BR Late Black

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-4-6-0-maunsell-s15-class-late-br.html

Hope this is of help.

Must say the "Cycling Lion" on the bogie tender looks rather lost!

Keith

Agree with others - I pre-ordered an early crest, but may well change it to late. I can handle either for my era, and the early one looks far too small IMHO...

EDIT: Yep, looked at it a few times now and I can't deal with how small the early crest is, changed my pre-order to a late crest model...

Edited by Ian Abel

In a different light to the views above, I'm very impressed by the Late Crest variant. It looks very smart on the model...I feel compelled to order one now.

Regards,

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Must say the "Cycling Lion" on the bogie tender looks rather lost!

Keith

It did on the real thing; with no lining to break them up, those tender sides are big, flat slabs of plain black and the small emblem does look somewhat overwhelmed.

Looking through various books, it appears that the small version was much more commonly applied to Maunsell S15s than the large one and also that the alignment varied. Some had it half way up the panel which looked better (IMHO) than on examples where it was aligned (or almost aligned) to the cabside number.

Small early or large late. Decisions, Decisions..... Nah, I'm having one of each!

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

As stated by both Paul and John above the size of the early crest is correct to the prototype so let's not by implication blame Hornby for that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As stated by both Paul and John above the size of the early crest is correct to the prototype so let's not by implication blame Hornby for that.

Wasn't implying anything wrong by Hornby, just it looks undersized for the size of tender.

There is a photo of Urie 30506 in Russell's SR locos with just such a crest, bang in the middle of a "watercart" tender (inside bearing bogies).

It looks too small for the job.

Keith

Seriously tempted by an Early Crest model, however not to keep it like that, to convert it to the lost member in preservation, 841 in SR Black as she ran in the 90's. Currenty stripped down to just the warped and twisted loco frames, cannot see this once regular performer returning to steam again so a model to remember it by will do!

Seriously tempted by an Early Crest model, however not to keep it like that, to convert it to the lost member in preservation, 841 in SR Black as she ran in the 90's. Currenty stripped down to just the warped and twisted loco frames, cannot see this once regular performer returning to steam again so a model to remember it by will do!

Why is it in that condition, what happened?