DJM End of year report 2014

DJM Dave

Hi everyone,

In keeping with tradition (well one year on from the first one that is), here's a synopsis of 2014 for DJModels Ltd.

Firstly i hope you all had a great Christmas, mine was spent with family for a change, and was really enjoyable.

2014 started off quite quietly, but ended with a bang for me.

ALL DJM products from the initial announcements (except the O gauge J94 and O gauge class 23) are now at the approved for tooling stage awaiting funds from the first model (in this case the J94 in OO gauge) to allow for tooling to commence (unless a fairy godmother comes to help), and will start in earnest with the N gauge Class 17 followed quickly by the N gauge Class 23.

As most of you now know, the first EP samples of the J94 were sent to me and put on display at the BRMLive show at Coventry in September to much positive comment. The second (First EP) samples with refined / revised details should be on the plane to me as i write this. If all goes well, progress to second EP sample and tool 'lock down' will happen almost immediately, allowing production to push ahead sooner rather than later.

Talking of BRMLive, it was my first real stand alone show with a trade /demo stand, and i loved being 'back in the saddle' again, meeting everyone and chatting about all things model railways. It was a great show, and i immensely enjoyed the presentation given both days in the 'auditorium'.

What i found most interesting on the Sunday was a Director of Hornby sitting anonymously (or so he thought) at the back row centre, videoing my presentation. He never said hello, but i hope he found it interesting. :jester:

Further out and about travels included a presentation to the NE area 2mm group which was terrific and a weekend with a small stand down on the Mid-Hants Railway for their GWR steam gala. i had a great time at both and thanks go to Mike and to Christine for their hospitality.

Late August i announced a few more locomotives for the DJM range, including OO and N gauge models and even a personal favourite of mine, the Class 71 Electric locomotive. This OO gauge loco was the first RTR UK outline model to be totally crowd funded from inception to production, and possibly the first mass produced locomotive crowd sourced anywhere in the world, so well done to all of you that have subscribed.

This loco was duly scanned with permission from the NRM at Barrow Hill depot over a 4 1/2 hour period to double check everything, plus over 500 high resolution reference photographs. Subsequently the scan 3D was produced and now the cad/cam is coming to an end in China, with tooling expected to start very soon. 

If you havn't signed up for one, please do so now as the initial sign up models wont be repeated either in running number or livery, and those that are, will be cheaper than the RRP for normal production runs at least 6 months later, and also have a certificate of your achievement in crowd funding this project. This can be done securely through Kernow Model Railway Centre's website.

This model is truly 'the people's model' in my eyes. :clapping:

Remember, the quicker i get the 71 to market, the quicker the 74 will be born from it and work is already progressing in earnest on this sister model.

2014 has also seen a great deal of faith in DJModels shown by FTG, Hattons, Kernow and others to produce exclusive models for them. FTG models have already been supplied with their lovely SPA wagon model, and only have a few left of the initial run. Kernow has their revised Beattie Well Tank on the high seas as i write this, and their Island version of the O2 is in production. Hatton's have ordered high specification models in OO gauge of the GWR King and 14xx loco's from me and these are in advanced states of design. I also have other models in various stated of quotation / preparation for other clients which may or may not come to fruition.

During this time i mooted and started pre-prod work on the N gauge Pendolino and suggested 'crowd sourcing' to get this one up and running. However, to my ultimate frustration, this project was given to an alternate source. These things happen, but i am prepared to revisit this model, as i have not been sitting still with it, and have sourced both manufacture and tooling much cheaper within China to my original specification, if the crowd sourcing does not come to pass.

Later on in December 2014 i visited China (see picture of me holding the OO gauge J94 boiler tooling) for a visit to 3 factory's that i can call on to produce for me, and it allowed me to fact find and i learnt things i didnt know previously and get updates / clarification on those that i did.

It's very interesting information but you will have to wait for my memoirs. :mail:

Work is progressing on my own 'other projects' announced in August, and i should be showing cad/cam designs from some of them soon, and i thank all those that venture opinions, pictures etc.

2015 looks to be a big year for me and will present me with the springboard to push forward with my own range. However, with 2 big price rises already absorbed and another on the way in May, i'm not sure how long i can keep it going without having to put my prices up as others have already done. Essentially i have previously decided to keep prices as announced, and not raise them, preferring to have a lower margin. The problem is that a lower margin wont help me expand and produce my models expediently, so i do foresee a price rise mid-year and will do my best to keep it to the bare minimum.

What of the future? Well i'm not announcing anything new for another 18 months and i have some great ideas for then, so you know what to expect, even if you don't know when to expect it. I still have space in the factory's and here for designing and supplying new items and you may see some of those outside

commissions come to fruition.

Show wise, i'll be out at Fareham later in the year, so watch the press for details, and maybe 1 or 2 others, but apart from presentations, i'm loathed to attend until i have more to show you, but things might change.

Enough of me for now then, please have a great New Year, and i wish you all the best of health and happiness for 2015. 

cheers :friends:  :drink_mini:

Dave

post-1144-0-87927500-1420045909.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the update Dave. You've certainly made 2014 much more interesting for me. Shock horror and people will be astonished by me saying this, but don't get into liquidity issues . If you need to increase prices do it, but of course keep to the minimum and remain competitive with the big boys. In Dave we Trust!

Wishing you all the best and success for 2015 and even more excitement. A range of Scottish engines would have me in apoplexy!

Thanks Dave for the nice summary and all the best for 2015.

Those O2 samples looked so impressive recently that I ordered a 2nd one.

Somehow I had missed the funfair about the FTG Spa wagon O! Will need to chase one up in early January.

Work is progressing on my own 'other projects' announced in August, and i should be showing cad/cam designs from some of them soon, and i thank all those that venture opinions, pictures etc.

Dave, we look forward to you sharing 'snapshots' of your progress. I have several of your projects on order with your commissioners and do look forward to see how the projects shape up.

All the very best in 2015.

• RMweb Gold

Happy New year dave. I look forward to all your hard work hitting the shops in the future. Can I ask What happens between you receiving 2nd EP and locking down the tooling? And locking down seems to suggest that things are movable? Just curious really.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Hope 2015 goes like 2014. Hopefully you will not need to further time on Pendo. I look forward to you selling the J94 in numbers so the 17 and 23 get a jump! Equally the tool room boys can make an N 117 dmu before too long ! All the best with all the great projects and as said price rises are really expected in the greater exchanges with China. No point in cutting corners to feed yourself!! 

Wishing all the best in 2015

Robert   

What i found most interesting on the Sunday was a Director of Hornby sitting anonymously (or so he thought) at the back row centre, videoing my presentation. He never said hello, but i hope he found it interesting. 

Probably videoing you so they can work out the best way to treat customers!  :angel:

Anyway, wishing you (and everyone else) the very best for 2015, and I am looking forward to trying out some DJM models soon.

What i found most interesting on the Sunday was a Director of Hornby sitting anonymously (or so he thought) at the back row centre, videoing my presentation. He never said hello, but i hope he found it interesting. :jester:

Isn't that what the police do to identify potential troublemakers at demonstrations? That's both a compliment from Hornby, I guess, but also a bit sinister - I wonder what Hornby would say (or do) if you repaid the compliment?

Happy New Year, from someone currently trying to save up for a couple of O2s and a(nother) Well Tank.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the update Dave. Looking forward to my O2s for sure.

Wish you and yours all the very best in 2015.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

I for one like the idea of telling the potential punters whats going to be happening, even if its not going to happen all at once

If it did all happen at once I fear it would be pre-order bankruptcy for many members....

• RMweb Premium

Isn't that what the police do to identify potential troublemakers at demonstrations? That's both a compliment from Hornby, I guess, but also a bit sinister - I wonder what Hornby would say (or do) if you repaid the compliment?

Happy New Year, from someone currently trying to save up for a couple of O2s and a(nother) Well Tank.

Take a dictionary for the corporate speak!

2015 will be the year that makes of breaks the DJM project... To date there has been a lot of anouncements and hype generated as a result, but as yet no physical product to actually judge you by... This does appear to be dividing opinion and causing extreme views with some commentators taking that as reason to 'rubish' the venture while others are swept up in the hype and getting carried away with praising you on the basis if what might be produced at some unspecified date in the future.

I have said before that I wont follow the herd, by joining either camp. I will continue to watch with interest, but I wont make any judgement either way (and it could still be either way) until I actually have a product in my hand to alow me to decide for myself.

To maintain credibility I think you need to have at least one DJM-branded product (commissions where you are acting as an agent or go-between don't really count) on the market within the first quarter, and three or four models in two scales on the shelves by the end of the year. Without the evidence of physical product to show progression, any more announcements will start to look like the 'land grab' you are (sometimes unfairly) accused of... In short the list of anounced-but-not-yet-delivered items at the end of the year should not be longer than the current list...

PLD, for someone supposedly not making any judgements, your position seems somewhat decided.

Yes - I'm not judging the products/company/Dave on what has gone so far, but saying he does need to show progress in the coming year otherwise it with strengthen the doubters position...

• RMweb Premium

commissions where you are acting as an agent or go-between don't really count

Why ever not? The process is identical, only the name on the box is different.

I feel you have set out your stall somewhat, despite your claims not to.

02 on it's way, Austerity at 2nd EP stage, seems to me things are progressing well?

commissions where you are acting as an agent or go-between don't really count

Why ever not? The process is identical, only the name on the box is different.

I feel you have set out your stall somewhat, despite your claims not to.

02 on it's way, Austerity at 2nd EP stage, seems to me things are progressing well?

Distinguishing between the products where Dave is responsible for the whole model from design and specification to delivery and those where others have the leading role in design and specification and Dave is an agent acting as an intermediary dealing with the factories on their behalf which I understand is the case with the Kernow and FTG models...

It isn't fair to either party to judge Dave (be it 'credit' or 'blame') for something that someone else actually signed off the design of...

Hi Dave

A Happy New Year to you.

A great summary of your 2014 progress.

Having seen the vid of the 00 J94 EP running on Hattons' test track, most impressively I might add, I think there is clear evidence that that one superb model of your own brand will be on the way pretty soon.

I feel that J94 is a sure fire choice to sell well and generate cash for other projects to come on stream but understandably we can't get it all at once. I am keenly waiting for the N Clayton, but appreciate I need to be patient. I am a bit more surprised that the slightly niche N "Baby Deltic" appears to be after that rather than the J94, but I am sure that you have good reasons and it will be well received too.

I would also endorse what a number of others have said Dave. We know costs are going up in China and this is already reflecting in the RRP of your competitors' models. If your products are of the quality I anticipate they will be, I believe people will understand and accept a reasonable increase in RRP so while absorbing some costs is an honourable gesture, I (and I am sure I am not alone in saying this) would not wish it to be to the extent that it impacts on your business plans. That said, you know your Market better than I ever will!

All the best for 2015.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the up date and best wishes for 2015!! Whilst taking the point that we do not have much to judge DJM on so far I have confidence based on past efforts at Dapol that the models will not disappoint and I look forward to unpacking some DJM models to join the rest of my mish mash of stuff from Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan and a variety of US, Japanese and various European models. Obviously that is a declaration of faith based on nothing more than sentiments in some ways but it is one I'm happy to make.

The N Pendolino is interesting and offers some assurance that if the Rapido crowd funding one fails to lift off that N gauge modellers will have another opportunity to get this model.

UK modellers have never had it so good in terms of new model development!

• RMweb Gold

Yes - I'm not judging the products/company/Dave on what has gone so far, but saying he does need to show progress in the coming year otherwise it with strengthen the doubters position...

I am sure Dave is acutely aware of that as he needs a quick return on a not inconsiderable and brave investment.

Doubters ? We did have one of those here until quite recently. He is now ploughing his own furrow.

Archived