Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Was it one of those aluminium frame thingy's with clip-in glazing? 

Yes, Mike, it was one of those. My dad bought a similar greenhouse in 1980 and has never had any problems. It's sheltered from the wind on 3 sides but the swirling gusts on Thursday night managed to flex 4 panes to breaking point.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

After a further rearrangement in the bunker I now have access to the rear and side walls.

There's still a lot of stuff in there, but I can work around that.

Here's a couple of rubbish-flash-pics from 30 minutes ago!

post-13778-0-66072700-1420900840_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-77716400-1420900844_thumb.jpg

Jeff

EDIT: Btw, the boxes stacked in the corner are all train-related stuff: drills, mod-roc, materials etc. They'll rapidly disappear once the layout starts!

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 9

Yes, Mike, it was one of those. My dad bought a similar greenhouse in 1980 and has never had any problems. It's sheltered from the wind on 3 sides but the swirling gusts on Thursday night managed to flex 4 panes to breaking point.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

It probably won't happen again but you could get 'toughened' replacements when one or two or four smash on the vulnerable side and eventually they will all be safe. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

It probably won't happen again but you could get 'toughened' replacements when one or two or four smash on the vulnerable side and eventually they will all be safe. 

How about this for rank profiteering?...

I Googled greenhouse glass replacements and rang the first 2 picks for a quote - both 0800 numbers with "free call out".

"Can you quote me for 6 panes of 2' x 2' x 3mm bog-standard horticultural greenhouse glass, please?"

"Yes sir, that'll be £295 / £282 (2 quotes) for us to come out, cut the glass and fit them"

"Thank you for that...."

My brother went to B&Q and bought 2 x 6-packs for £10 each!

How is this kind of thing allowed?!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

How about this for rank profiteering?...

I Googled greenhouse glass replacements and rang the first 2 picks for a quote - both 0800 numbers with "free call out".

"Can you quote me for 6 panes of 2' x 2' x 3mm bog-standard horticultural greenhouse glass, please?"

"Yes sir, that'll be £295 / £282 (2 quotes) for us to come out, cut the glass and fit them"

"Thank you for that...."

My brother went to B&Q and bought 2 x 6-packs for £10 each!

How is this kind of thing allowed?!!

Jeff

Exactly the same as getting a pay-day loan with 7500% apr...............simples..............its rip-off Britain mate

• RMweb Premium

Btw, I forgot to mention - the figures I quoted were ex-VAT!!!!!!!

Just spent a happy hour in the bunker setting up the mitre saw and its stand. The power tool junkie strikes again - bring on the timber!

Jeff

• Like 7

Evening Jeff, well what a traumatic few days you've had mate, I'm really sorry to hear about your New Green House, but its good news inside he Bunker, and as for setting up the saw, well that's just great news mate.

Looking forward to the timber pics.

• RMweb Premium

You won't be ordering the timber from the glaziers then? :jester:

I did make enquiries, but had to put my knowledge of powers of ten to good use to write the quoted price down....

.... Besides, my current credit limit wouldn't have been high enough, Mike!

You're correct about rip-off Britain. And for such companies to exist somebody must actually pay these prices.

Reminds me of when we were selling my brother's house last year. Just for interest I rang a well-known company (We Buy....) to see what they'd offer...

"Certainly sir, your brother has a very nice 4-bedroomed property and we'd be delighted to offer you a competitive price for it..."

The offer was 75% of what we eventually sold it for.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

You're correct about rip-off Britain. And for such companies to exist somebody must actually pay these prices.

You would be amazed at what some people are prepared to pay, especially those who have plenty of money, mainly because they can't be bothered to do it themselves.

I had a client in Jersey who needed a new circuit board(£160) fitting to a set of motors.  I asked them to get their local electrician to do it and I would give him the instructions of what to do, a simple job with the right tools, that would take about an hour to do.  They were adament that I should do it myself even thought the cost incurred was two days travelling, one night in hotel and ferry costs which came to around £1400.  So I took my wife with me and we made a cheap one weeks holiday out of it, all the the sake of about two hours work in the end.

Another one was a customer in Yeovil who needed two batteries changing, a do it yourself job, remove four screws holding a cover, replace the batteries, screw cover back on, ten minutes to do and back home again, 400 mile round trip, £400 inc the £18 batteries.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A couple of pics of the mitre saw on its stand. No blade fitted yet, but this looks a bit easier than the hand-held circular saw (same make as this) that I used to cut the timber last time.

"Boys and their toys" springs to mind!

post-13778-0-32743000-1420994672_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-63145500-1420994678_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 12

A couple of pics of the mitre saw on its stand. No blade fitted yet, but this looks a bit easier than the hand-held circular saw (same make as this) that I used to cut the timber last time.

attachicon.gifDSCF1993a.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF1994a.jpg

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You will be delighted with that bit of kit mate, much much much easier than a circular saw my man.

Can I offer a bit of advice here. When constructing the frame a 'half lapped' joint or 'rebated' joint is much sturdier than a simple 'butt' joint. These are so easy to do on this bit of kit:

Place a block against the fence and set the depth gauge to preferred size

Cut each line to the fit of the joining timber and then repeatedly cut through the central waste until lots of thin shims are left

Remove the waste with a chisel - and bob's your uncle

When doing the legs use the same technique so that the weight is supported on the rebate rather than the screws or whatever fittings you are using.

Hope I am not telling you how to suck eggs!

attachicon.gifDSCF1993a.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF1994a.jpg

Jeff

Blimey! You don't mess about do you? And here's me with my tenon saw and square! :O

• Like 2

Blimey! You don't mess about do you? And here's me with my tenon saw and square! :O

You mean people have TENON SAWS these days, :O  I use a bit of string on a bow, :no:  :no:  it gets through it in the end, may take a day or so, but it gets there in the end :no:  :no:  :no: , ahhaha

Good to hear from you again mate, I hope things are on the up.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

You will be delighted with that bit of kit mate, much much much easier than a circular saw my man.

Can I offer a bit of advice here. When constructing the frame a 'half lapped' joint or 'rebated' joint is much sturdier than a simple 'butt' joint. These are so easy to do on this bit of kit:

Place a block against the fence and set the depth gauge to preferred size

Cut each line to the fit of the joining timber and then repeatedly cut through the central waste until lots of thin shims are left

Remove the waste with a chisel - and bob's your uncle

When doing the legs use the same technique so that the weight is supported on the rebate rather than the screws or whatever fittings you are using.

Hope I am not telling you how to suck eggs!

Cheers Mike. And I wouldn't care if you were telling me how to suck eggs - you're just being helpful, and it's appreciated.

I've now fitted the blade and done a few practice cuts with the machine. I even discovered the highly sophisticated depth gauge. I like it very much - an adjustable screw - simple and to the point.

I'm not doing anything clever with the frames that hold the insulation. They're just bits of wood that'll be screwed into the wall and don't need to be "flash". I do like my half-lap joints, though. Remember this?

post-13778-0-07086000-1421004141_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-89248000-1421004151_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening Bill.

I just like playing with new toys - and with the amount of wood I'm going to cut, this'll be handy. KL taught me that you can never have enough power tools. And, I have to admit, quite a number of my cuts weren't as square as they should have been...

Jeff

• Like 5

Hi Jeff! Nowt wrong with good tools. I sold all mine when I moved to the sea(mud)side so I just cheat and use 9mm birch ply boxes nowadays for base boards (Nicely cut to size by my local timber merchants!). The tenon saw is another story because it's a Disston I inherited from my father a lot of years ago! It's been sharpened so many times now it's almost a razor saw! Still does the business though!

Hi Andy! Things are very good just now my mate. In fact since I retired I've been busier than ever. I've even managed to aquire a small but loyal group of followers over on DeviantArt so I must be doing something right! At the risk of incurring Jeff's wrath for going off-topic this is a recent one of Bellatrix Lestrange:

post-14791-0-97724400-1421010956.jpg

I haven't found a Julia Bradbury model yet, but I'm working on it in time for grass appearing on the fells!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

That's a gorgeous picture, Bill. I'm sure all followers of KL/ Lunesters will be happy to see more of those. Especially if you can portray the lovely Julia!

My dad's still got most of his original tools - many saws, chisels and planes dating back to the 1950s. All beautifully maintained and in full working order.

Jeff

• Like 1

Thank you kindly Sir! Like all my females nowadays, Ms Bonham-Carter is the creation of an amazing modeller by the name of Mihrelle. While I can’t show you the gorgeous Julia yet (though I have commissioned her for sometime this year)! Meanwhile I can come up with Kate Blanchett (with or without pointy ears), Tilda Swinton, Sigourney Weaver (plus Xenomorphs!),  Scarlett Johansson and Milla Jovovich amongst others. I’m sure they’d enjoy a visit to KL!

Right now though I’m off to do some modelling (Alnwick goods shed) and play with my new locos, Jubilee 45565 Victoria and a K1 (Yeh! Hornby is real, not just a figment of my imagination!)

Regards

Bill

• Like 6

Evening Jeff,

Like the new toy, and I'm sure that a comment on safety is probably superfluous, but I have two friends with (luckily small!) body parts missing!

Kind regards,

Jock. (Would you buy a car from this man?)

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 1