Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Jeff re the above, last October when I started to feel a bit better I went out into the Garden and was re arranging some boulders for a small rockery, (much to Dee's annoyance as she wanted me to sit down and rest).

Anyway a boulder rolled over and fell on my ring finger / left hand, jamming it between two boulders, it really hurt. Now the nail is almost off and so I haven't been able to play the guitar properly since. The trouble is, is that its the string bending finger and it really bugs me now, and I do like the bendy Blues stuff.

No pics of the finger I'm afraid, but it bled like a Pig for two days.

So that's where the sausages came from - he wasn't 'bitton' just 'rocked on' when playing the guitar

Peter

• RMweb Gold

As always with these things, you look back and think "How could I have been so stupid?"

On the other hand, if we did a Risk Assessment before everything we did, we'd never do anything!

Btw, I've work out the timber and insulation board requirements to do ALL the bunker walls. I'll be ordering another batch of stuff to allow me to do that. The ceiling will then follow, but that's not too bad. I've enjoyed planning this out and visualising the next 2 weeks work!

Jeff

There's been a lot of comments on forums with regard to planning the layout ... the idea of Risk Assessment is to think out the best way to do things in the planning - not to stop doing things.  HSE has had over 300 inputs from people complaining about things stopped under the guise of Health and Safety ... 95% of them have no basis in Health and Safety just 'elf and safety' being used as an excuse for poor service or couldn't be bothered in one way or another.  Apologies 'hobby horse' - basically all health and safety is about is that you will not become ill nor injured by anything that you (or others) do ... that's it in a nutshell.

Peter

• Like 1

I would have to agree with PeterBB.  We do metric boatload (you can use other sentence enhancers, but the censor alters them...) of risk assessments here, because the job is inherently risk filled at best.  It's about reducing to as low as reasonably achieveable risk.  It is near impossible to _eliminate_ risk, but you can take it from every week to every decade...of corse, then you loose because the event becomes an exception, and the Joe Q. Public does a poor job of assessing risks on a regular basis.

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting points on H&S, gents.

Since the discussion is likely to continue, can I suggest you follow Jock's lead and post it in the Lounge? I know KL2 isn't "properly" underway, but I'd like to keep a semblance of coherence in here. Umm, that's why that star chart's in there! What a plonker I am!

All I will add is that a little forethought can save a lot of trouble. Obvious, but often ignored!

Jeff

• Like 3

So Young Jeff, today's the day, well I'm waiting, :O  WOT NO PICS YET he cried, :no: , Looking forward to the first cut mate and I hope its the wood and no dagly bits :nono:  :nono: , hahhaha.

All the best and have a good day. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

So Young Jeff, today's the day, well I'm waiting, :O  WOT NO PICS YET he cried, :no: , Looking forward to the first cut mate and I hope its the wood and no dagly bits :nono:  :nono: , hahhaha.

All the best and have a good day. :sungum:

Yes Andy, today's the day!

I don't know what time the delivery will appear. Garden stuff, 25 lengths of 4.8m timber, 20 insulation boards, ply and that's just the first order. Next one at the start of next week.

The drill is charged, the hammer, nails and screws are ready....

And I'll keep my dangly bits away from the mitre saw!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Today's delivery has appeared and, after 45 minutes, the insulation board, ply and timber are sat in the garage. All the "garden stuff" is out in the cold at the front of the house!

3 mediocre pics to show the heaping crap in the bunker. All of this will have been consumed into the wall space by the weekend, ready for the next delivery.

post-13778-0-42213900-1421237186_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-60827400-1421237190_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-20217100-1421237194_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Exciting stuff, Jeff!

I did pop in to this thread on your first post, but never responded as I wasn't sure how much you were gonna post of the history of the layout and didn't want to interfere :D

But now I see things are hotting up (well, they will once you get the insulation in I guess!). I'm just thinking how I've got all this expense to come myself soon.

It will be totally worth it though, on both our ends - you will have a nice warm space to work on the layout/play, and I will too!

Apologies if I missed it, but what other stuff have you got to build in the garden - it seems to be never-ending :D

Hi Jeff, well its arrived, good stuff mate, THAT'S NOT TIMBER THEY DELIVERD, its the National Forest, still surprised you didn't go for CLS timber for the walls mate.

So you recon it will be lined by the weekend do you, well I hope so.

Have you decided what your doing for the Flooring yet?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

First pictures of any kind of proper "action" in the bunker. The garage has a damp-proof course, but to make sure nothing comes through the floor onto the frame I put down some sealant and a couple of sheets of DP membrane:

post-13778-0-28733200-1421251056_thumb.jpg

The first frame has been constructed - took about 30 minutes - and this will be screwed into place shortly...

post-13778-0-31937600-1421251060_thumb.jpg

More pics later.

Jeff

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, well its arrived, good stuff mate, THAT'S NOT TIMBER THEY DELIVERD, its the National Forest, still surprised you didn't go for CLS timber for the walls mate.

So you recon it will be lined by the weekend do you, well I hope so.

Have you decided what your doing for the Flooring yet?

Hi Andy.

I've only ordered enough stuff to do about half the walls as the insulation takes a lot of space to store. The walls will have 6" of the stuff and the ceiling 4" (plus a 3" layer of fibre roll). Same as in the last bunker - it worked, so I'll stick with it.

For the floor, I'm going with thick underlay and a carpet - again, similar to last time.

The next batch of stuff will be ordered at the start of next week. So I think all the wall lining will be completed by the end of next week. I'm even including a removable section of wall behind one of the garage doors in case we ever need access that way. It'll be as secure as the other walling, but undoing 8 screws is all it'll take to move that section.

The ceiling - I think that's another week on.

So, shall we guess? By Friday, 6th Feb - all walls and ceiling complete. Then it'll be sockets and lighting fitments (I'll be fitting daylight fluorescents).

Coffee, then some more screwing. :O  :O  It's enjoyable!  :angel:  :angel:  :angel:  :angel:

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Exciting stuff, Jeff!

I did pop in to this thread on your first post, but never responded as I wasn't sure how much you were gonna post of the history of the layout and didn't want to interfere :D

But now I see things are hotting up (well, they will once you get the insulation in I guess!). I'm just thinking how I've got all this expense to come myself soon.

It will be totally worth it though, on both our ends - you will have a nice warm space to work on the layout/play, and I will too!

Apologies if I missed it, but what other stuff have you got to build in the garden - it seems to be never-ending :D

Oh, a patio, couple more raised beds, lay a lawn, planters.... I love it!

What I'll say about the bunker is that I only want to fit it out once (haha - I said that for KL!!!!) - so a bit of extra expense is worth it. Do I need 6" of Recticel/Kingspan? Probably not - but it does maintain a very even temperature, even if it's cold outside - and vice versa in the summer.

Jam, please chip in as you see fit. There's very few rules here - as you can tell!

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Fisrt of all you kept this thread hidden in a corner didn't you? I've only just found it!

Secondly, for the loft space why not use fibreglass rolls? They will work out cheaper than the celotex, but I realise that they are a horrid thing to use. Even if you are going to use the loft for storage, I'd still use the rolls and put in some more timbers for a floor, these can be latticed off the existing ones so that you have a very strong beam to put heavy stuff on.... My loft is done like that, using 'strongarm' drilled flat bars.

Finally: Wheres the grass?

Andy G

• Like 4

Fisrt of all you kept this thread hidden in a corner didn't you? I've only just found it!

Secondly, for the loft space why not use fibreglass rolls? They will work out cheaper than the celotex, but I realise that they are a horrid thing to use. Even if you are going to use the loft for storage, I'd still use the rolls and put in some more timbers for a floor, these can be latticed off the existing ones so that you have a very strong beam to put heavy stuff on.... My loft is done like that, using 'strongarm' drilled flat bars.

Andy G

HI Andy, good to see your around again, just to let you know that I did the Loft in my new  Shed and used a roll from the builders Merchants that opened out to about 8 inches thick and is NONE IRRITANT, and is the same as Loft Insulation and very thermal efficient.

• Like 2

I hope you're getting a huge discount from the building material supplier especially with the amount already in the garden.

Hi Duncan,

Jeff rolled up to the builders merchant in his Aston Martin stating he was 'JEFFS INFRASTRUCTURE & DEVELOPMENTS Co. Ltd.' and an immediate account was set-up at 50% discount! That means he will at least get half a job done!  :jester:  :jester: 

Hi Duncan,

Jeff rolled up to the builders merchant in his Aston Martin stating he was 'JEFFS INFRASTRUCTURE & DEVELOPMENTS Co. Ltd.' and an immediate account was set-up at 50% discount! That means he will at least get half a job done!  :jester:  :jester: 

Don't forget the big FAT CIGAR, hahhaa

• RMweb Premium

Andy G

Give me a month or so!

Btw, Andy: I know you liked the contouring on the old Fell. The new one will be similar, though the fluorescent lighting may not give the shadows of the previous one.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nothing further achieved this evening as I sat and watched a 6 part Jon Pertwee Doctor Who story from 1972 with my brother, after tea.

Rest assured, I'll be in the bunker at 7am. That's the earliest I think I can justify the sound of the mitre saw etc - even though there's nobody really close to complain. I expect there'll be another set of new pics by lunchtime!

Jeff

• Like 5

Evening Jeff,

Came directly here from the 'Lounge' as I was brassed off by yet more cloud tonight! Now I've cheered up a great deal - very impressive so far, you certainly don't do things by half!! All this bodes really well for when work on the layout begins - I missed the start of the last one and so I hope to use this as a tutorial. I hope you don't mind me making notes?

Keep up the good work, carefully of course,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2