Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

Hi Jeff,

If you only use your much loved 'half lap' joints at intersections and use rebates on the running outer/inner timbers then you only have to rebate a single joist each time instead of both as in the 'half lap'. Result = half the work!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff,

Like the new toy, and I'm sure that a comment on safety is probably superfluous, but I have two friends with (luckily small!) body parts missing!

Kind regards,

Jock. (Would you buy a car from this man?)

Jock - thanks for the warning. It's always good to avoid complacency with any tool,  especially a beast like that one. I value my fingers - though I seem to make a habit of hitting them with a hammer!

Mike - thanks for the advice. I enjoy working with wood and regret the fact that the L-girders I intend to build won't give me the chance for much creative cutting.

I really bought that saw for 2 reasons. Quick to use and consistency of square cuts (something I've never been too good at!) It'll earn its keep, I promise you!

Jeff

I wouldn't be without my 'chop' saw. It was originally bought for picture framing when my photography business was flying but now gets used for pretty well anything. It's a 'professional' saw, bought at cost when I was still working in the construction industry. One major advantage is that it has a long horizontal travel, so it can cut wide as well as thick wood.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've just re-stocked with a "few" more screws, nails, sealant, rawlplugs.

The first batch of wood and insulation has been ordered (along with 600 more bricks, plus cement etc for the garden work) - due Wednesday.

All measured up and ready for action. I'll take plenty of photos to keep Andy, Chip and everybody happy.

Roll on Wednesday.

Now, can I find a hammer.....there are 12 of them - somewhere!

Jeff

• Like 7

Jeff, Good news about the WOOD, but I've just left a comment for you in Bitton that I think you need to read before commencing with all that 6 x 4 cross beam stuff. hahhhhaha. 

No Rush, just looking forward to the pics on Wednesday Night mate.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Good news about the WOOD, but I've just left a comment for you in Bitton that I think you need to read before commencing with all that 6 x 4 cross beam stuff. hahhhhaha. 

No Rush, just looking forward to the pics on Wednesday Night mate.

Duly noted!

I don't know what I'll get done on Wednesday as it depends on the time of the delivery. But I'll be straight into the bunker, chopping up wood and happy as Larry Andy!

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff only just found this I've not been on here for a bit and now I'm back. I think I need to take some advice off you and Andy about the speed you work at lol. Keep up thye good work Jeff. 

Mark

Welcome to the thread, Mark. I did wonder where you'd got to as I noticed you'd been quiet since just before Christmas.

Once I get started on a project I become a tad obsessed, I'll freely admit that. I think it helps to be surrounded by ongoing excellence, eg. Andy - Bitton, Jason - Bacup, Mike - Dent .... just for starters. And none of them seem to hang around!

Jeff

• Like 1

It's true you lot are good at modeling.

I have been sorting out my life too much to do so little time. But I'm going to enjoy watching you build up KL2. Same as Andy with bitten. Keep up the good work Jeff.

Have you done the garden now.

Mark

Edited by mark axlecounter
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's true you lot are good at modeling.

I have been sorting out my life too much to do so little time. But I'm going to enjoy watching you build up KL2. Same as Andy with bitten. Keep up the good work Jeff.

Have you done the garden now.

Mark

The purists won't be happy at the news that half my builders merchant order today was: 600 bricks, 1 ton sharp sand, 1 ton soft sand, 1 ton gravel, 12 more bags of cement (taking the total to 162 bags of cement, to date). It means there's more garden building on the way.

But NOT in the next 2-3 weeks. I'd like to get the walls, ceiling and insulation in the bunker completed in that time. Given a Wednesday start this week and a crazy urge to build, build, build.... we'll see where I end up (lunatic asylum?)

Have you sold your house yet?

Jeff

• Like 5

That's a lot sand to mix lol. Sadly not had three peoploe who have offered silly money I've told them it needs to be more. One who offered the right money but the ex sad no. ( i was very peeed off with her ) I have tried to get her to sign it over but she won't (silly moo ).

I've been feeling down (not like me ). Sorry for going on Jeff. I am more upbeat about this year I will be me again.

Mark

Edited by mark axlecounter
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Count the FINGERS IN, and then count them OUT AGAIN, hahhaha

But if they are missing how are you going to be able to count them? ...  (with apologies to another forum) just look for 'sausages in the grass' .

Peter 

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of fingers has brought back a recent embarrassing visit to A&E. DIY injury not modelling, this time.

The triage nurse said to me "Didn't you use to be a nurse?" 

"Yes"

Looking at the blood all over my hands, "You worked for the blood transfusion service"

"Many years ago, I left there and came back here to work on the hand injury ward" :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it's always a good idea to be careful when doing any kind of building task. Here's a photo from August 8, 2011, shortly after I'd missed the head of a 4" nail and impacted my left index finger instead.  Blood drops all over the floor, the nail eventually dropped off and never re-grew properly. I've also lost 100% feeling at the tip of the finger. And it hurt!

post-13778-0-59060000-1421134369_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Jeff re the above, last October when I started to feel a bit better I went out into the Garden and was re arranging some boulders for a small rockery, (much to Dee's annoyance as she wanted me to sit down and rest).

Anyway a boulder rolled over and fell on my ring finger / left hand, jamming it between two boulders, it really hurt. Now the nail is almost off and so I haven't been able to play the guitar properly since. The trouble is, is that its the string bending finger and it really bugs me now, and I do like the bendy Blues stuff.

No pics of the finger I'm afraid, but it bled like a Pig for two days.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff re the above, last October when I started to feel a bit better I went out into the Garden and was re arranging some boulders for a small rockery, (much to Dee's annoyance as she wanted me to sit down and rest).

Anyway a boulder rolled over and fell on my ring finger / left hand, jamming it between two boulders, it really hurt. Now the nail is almost off and so I haven't been able to play the guitar properly since. The trouble is, is that its the string bending finger and it really bugs me now, and I do like the bendy Blues stuff.

No pics of the finger I'm afraid, but it bled like a Pig for two days.

As always with these things, you look back and think "How could I have been so stupid?"

On the other hand, if we did a Risk Assessment before everything we did, we'd never do anything!

Btw, I've work out the timber and insulation board requirements to do ALL the bunker walls. I'll be ordering another batch of stuff to allow me to do that. The ceiling will then follow, but that's not too bad. I've enjoyed planning this out and visualising the next 2 weeks work!

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Jeff. Consider me another loyal follower duly signed up and waiting for more progress!

Welcome back, Lee. There are another half-dozen or so KL devotees yet to pop in here and you are all very welcome.

As you can see, aside from 6 hours clearing some space in the bunker, nothing has happened yet. That will change VERY shortly! I've also just been doing some planning for the actual trackboards and where the risers will go in the main station area. All to be revealed in good time - maybe April?

I hope you're still making progress with your own project. Please chuck any ideas you have onto here, as you did with the last incarnation!

Jeff

Forget the picture of the woman that mitre saw is very good looking

One day I'll have one of those (well I can dream lol) I've more chance at the woman

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Forget the picture of the woman that mitre saw is very good looking

One day I'll have one of those (well I can dream lol) I've more chance at the woman

Brian

I shall be putting the  mitre saw to good use tomorrow. I hope it lives up to expectations....

I'm not making any comparisons to women - I'll get in trouble!  :no:  :angel:  :angel:

Jeff

• Like 3

Hi Jeff

Have been looking in on the new KL2 but sorry I haven't got around to posting until now. Interesting to be confronted with a blood splattered floor tonight! As I do a lot of general plastic modelling, apart from railways, most of my worst accidents have been with Stanley Knife blades... usually when they're new.... and very sharp.
It reminds me of a woodwork class at school when a saw slipped and cut into the end of my thumb...as the teacher applied a simple elastoplast to the wound, he told me that - if I intended to do something similar again, it was always better to use a chisel as it was a much cleaner cut than a saw blade!!

One reason for for only making a few brief visits to the site recently has been because I've had a busy week getting a new central heating boiler installed, and, living on my own, the house is such a dump that I must be the only person who needed to clean up BEFORE the workmen arrived!

Made a small amount of progress on the new layout but find that having locos stored in boxes for 15 years doesn,t improve their running qualities...

I've been told that tomorrow night is best for the comet - clear skies permitting. Freezing cold and first proper covering of snow here tonight so good timimg with the CH boiler..

Cheers
Alan

Edited by 60091
  • Like 3

Yes, it's always a good idea to be careful when doing any kind of building task. Here's a photo from August 8, 2011, shortly after I'd missed the head of a 4" nail and impacted my left index finger instead.  Blood drops all over the floor, the nail eventually dropped off and never re-grew properly. I've also lost 100% feeling at the tip of the finger. And it hurt!

attachicon.gif100_1607.JPG

Jeff

Just fitted new blades to my scalpels ready for a couple of hours modelling and behold......a blood-spattered floor! :butcher: Good job I went to the library today. Now sitting quietly reading a good book (and surreptuously counting my fingers!). :scared:

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Have been looking in on the new KL2 but sorry I haven't got around to posting until now. Interesting to be confronted with a blood splattered floor tonight! As I do a lot of general plastic modelling, apart from railways, most of my worst accidents have been with Stanley Knife blades... usually when they're new.... and very sharp.

It reminds me of a woodwork class at school when a saw slipped and cut into the end of my thumb...as the teacher applied a simple elastoplast to the wound, he told me that - if I intended to do something similar again, it was always better to use a chisel as it was a much cleaner cut than a saw blade!!

One reason for for only making a few brief visits to the site recently has been because I've had a busy week getting a new central heating boiler installed, and, living on my own, the house is such a dump that I must be the only person who needed to clean up BEFORE the workmen arrived!

Made a small amount of progress on the new layout but find that having locos stored in boxes for 15 years doesn,t improve their running qualities...

I've been told that tomorrow night is best for the comet - clear skies permitting. Freezing cold and first proper covering of snow here tonight so good timimg with the CH boiler..

Cheers

Alan

Alan, any clear night with stars in the Taurus area of the sky is ok for the comet. I've just been stood in the snow, scanning the area. Unfortunately there's a lot of very high, thin cloud - and since the comet is a diffuse "fuzz" it's conveniently obscured by the cloud!

The photo didn't adequately indicate the amount of blood that accident caused. I was working by myself at the time. If my brother had been with me I'm sure he'd have taken me to A&E to get the finger stitched...

Hope your boiler and heating works ok. I'll be cold in the bunker tomorrow, but do I care? No. Hammering a few nails should warm me up!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3