RMweb

Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Here are the three weathered wagons. I chose RTR versions in case kit-built ones fell apart during the exercise...

916358543_20221107001weatheredwagons.JPG.ef3c86636ca539b96fa710f9d11fb7b2.JPG

A very simple and quick process - brushing on a thinned mixture of black, brown and grey enamel with a hint of metallic grey, then wiping it off to a greater or lesser extent with a cotton bud and thinners.

Thanks @Jesse Sim and also @jwealleans who showed Jesse the technique.

There goes my secret ingredients….

No, it was a pleasure to host such an event and I’m glad i was able to get through it even with the funny faces you were pulling to distract me. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Just noticed the depth to the name board and Notice.  Are they on styrene sheet too?  Certainly makes them look realistic.

Paul.

Yes, they're all on .040" styrene. Apart from the depth, which as you say looks good, it avoids any wrinkles from sticking the labels to the wood itself (voice of experience...).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

That's one solid frame, or is it going to part of something load bearing perhaps?

Colin

No, it's just that 42 x 19 is the size of timber I use most so I always have plenty of offcuts lying around!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A Slaters Toplight all-3rd came up on eBay the other day. It sold this morning for just over GBP 50, which isn't bad, but I didn't bid because the wretched GSP cost would have virtually doubled that.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Of course, I could always build another layout...

NO! STUPID BOY! Don't even think about it!

I'm already doing it! I just enjoy building and planning. It is an 'as well as' though and tucks neatly under the main layout.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I'm already doing it! I just enjoy building and planning. It is an 'as well as' though and tucks neatly under the main layout.

Yes but don't forget you you'll need room at each end on your "as well as" for 12-coach trains and a MN...

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

A Slaters Toplight all-3rd came up on eBay the other day. It sold this morning for just over GBP 50, which isn't bad, but I didn't bid because the wretched GSP cost would have virtually doubled that.

I hadn’t seen that, but strangely I did look at the Slaters website this week to see if they had been relaunched.

Sadly not yet, although it looks as if the Midland carriages are back. https://www.slatersplastikard.com/carriages/4mmCarriages.php

They do seem to be taking quite a while getting them back into stock, I wonder what the issue is,

Edited by Neal Ball
Link added
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2022 at 10:51, Sandhole said:

OH B****R!
I forgot about her.
Ashamed,
Chris.

How could you forget the Lambs Navy Rum girl - Caroline Munro?  Now gracing our tv screens every Friday evening presenting the horror films on the Talking Pictures tv channel

http://markwestwriter.blogspot.com/2019/01/happy-birthday-caroline-munro.html

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

How could you forget the Lambs Navy Rum girl - Caroline Munro?  Now gracing our tv screens every Friday evening presenting the horror films on the Talking Pictures tv channel

http://markwestwriter.blogspot.com/2019/01/happy-birthday-caroline-munro.html

She starred in an awful science fiction film, together with David Hasselhof and Christopher Plimmer, called Star Crash. So bad , it was kind of good!!
Chris.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2