Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
On 05/01/2015 at 08:24, nerron said:

I don't think it is a question of lack of inspiration,RMweb alone provides that in buckets, it is more in my case  the delay caused by house moves and the preparation of the layout's accommodation.Nonetheless you would be most welcome to visit if you can get through border control! BTW Rick ,tho' not my area of interest I find your layout very motivating.

Just caught this. You didn't think that border control would be this real!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Time for a quickie this morning so I glazed all the spectacles with Kristal Klear. When it's dry I'll colour them in with felt-tip pens (thinks: have I actually got a yellow or orange one?).

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

have I actually got a yellow or orange one?

I've got both! I just found a set of 8 pens that I must have bought specially for this job. Even better, they haven't dried out.

• Like 9
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Some Scalelink etchings arrived today, so I now (should) have enough signal arms, especially ground discs, for the entire layout.

Apart from colouring the spectacles, I haven't had time to do any more on the signals themselves. When I have, I will add the ladders and so on to the posts before assembling the arms and fitting the actuators.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Some Scalelink etchings arrived today, so I now (should) have enough signal arms, especially ground discs, for the entire layout.

Apart from colouring the spectacles, I haven't had time to do any more on the signals themselves. When I have, I will add the ladders and so on to the posts before assembling the arms and fitting the actuators.

Wot a rose colour to make the G*R look OK. :scratchhead:

:blind:

:punish:

:cry:

:blackeye:       :sarcastichand:

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Ladders, platforms and weight arms fitted last night. I should get the signals assembled this weekend and possibly, with a bit of luck and a following wind, one or two installed on the layout - although probably not operational.

Reminder to self - I got bored building this batch of six. I'll stick to three at a time in future, as per usual.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

I installed the Trewoon Junction Up Main Distant this afternoon.

20200905004TrewoonJunctionUpMainDistantwiring.JPG.e35cdf03c0e911d3f5be9f3b0ce8fd1d.JPG

First I modified the wiring inside the Paddington points control panel. I changed the "From Porthmellyn Road" line clear switch from a  single-pole to a double-pole type (bottom right) and fitted a AA battery holder (bottom left). The colour code for signalling power wires is orange (positive) and violet (negative). The wires lead off to the top of the picture, from where they go down the conduit to emerge below the baseboard. They then connect to the signal through the jack plug and socket.

The signal comes Off when the switch is moved to the left, lighting the green LED at Paddington and activating the Line Clear release on the Porthmellyn Road Up Main Advanced Starter (49), and goes back on when the switch is moved back to the right, lighting the red LED and locking PM49 again.

I've no idea why the labels read "TM UM D" - they should read "TW UM D". I'll change them tomorrow.

20200905002TrewoonJunctionUpMainDistantOn.JPG.6d570bf68060b7c20ef7781424bf4462.JPG

Here's a driver's eye view of the signal when it's On...

20200905003TrewoonJunctionUpMainDistantOff.JPG.cc6b5dba04a8c00bb960e3455bafe620.JPG

...and when it's Off.

I'll probably instal the next four signals before building any more.

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 19

9 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

After I'd installed the signal, Veronica took a (very) short video, which Charles @RudderC of this parish has uploaded on the BRMA website:

Sorry about the stretched captions - Charles reckons it's because the video was taken in portrait mode not landscape.

Ooooh scenery soon? 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

The six signals are now complete and here they are:

1658520662_20200905001signalscomplete.JPG.036f21dc887924c78b9f68d5eddb5943.JPG

Nice!

How well stuck down is the fixed arm?  To me, it’s showing too much post, but my only photo is of round not square posts.

But still nice.

DDC7159A-1BA6-4D58-877C-B6E91BBD4C4D.jpeg.b82fbdb030812b3f3a9dacb76a80af15.jpeg

Not strictly prototypical, as the railbus and clay trains to Tregissey shouldn't have the distant cleared for the diverging route, but I think it will look nice without adding to the workload of any of the operators.

Could you add a condition on the points to the Tregissey Siding to stop it clearing?

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Paul.

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

How well stuck down is the fixed arm?  To me, it’s showing too much post, but my only photo is of round not square posts.

I haven't found any clear photos of square post fixed distants below a stop arm either. I expect loads of folk will come up with some now. However, as you've shown, on the round posts the arm seems to be fixed to the post so that the fishtail end is in line with the end of the stop arm, which I've tried to do. I also packed it out a bit so that the two arms are just about the same distance from the post vertically.

I used this reference to simulate the mounting arrangement although it doesn't have a stop arm above it:

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Could you add a condition on the points to the Tregissey Siding to stop it clearing?

I wanted to do something like that initially but, because the route setting doesn't change the Tregissey Siding point back if a new route that doesn't involve it is selected, then the signal might not clear next time we want it to. Besides, the long clay train, which in "reality" goes to Tregissey, actually runs to and from loop 13. My original plan was to route the signal power through the extra changeover contacts on some of the point motors but I couldn't find a simple combination (without relays, which I can't be bothered with) to get the signal NOT to clear IF a route is set into the Tregissey siding OR IF a route is set into loop 13. Perhaps I could have another look in future but at the moment I'm just enjoying this little bit of showmanship!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

NOT      IF        OR IF

I did wonder if the logic might be a bit complex.

Teach your route setting logic how to do flank protection and you might be able to get it to work the siding . . .  :-)

Paul.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I did wonder if the logic might be a bit complex.

Teach your route setting logic how to do flank protection and you might be able to get it to work the siding . . .  :-)

Paul.

You're trying very hard to talk me into it!

Yes, I could change the route setting. It would mean setting up a command station macro for probably two or three more routes than just the few that already need five or more commands at the moment (the NCE Mini Panel is limited to four steps per input).

I'll have a think...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1