Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Robatron86

Thanks chaps. The boxcars came from Model Junction. Still had one of each in stock.

20160102_165422.jpg

Over half way there!

My non prototypical consist will be made up from:

Athearn F7A/B (or PA/PB)

Walthers RPO/Baggage (on order)

Walthers Baggage/Lounge

Walthers Sleeper

Walthers Sleeper

Walthers Large Window

Walthers Diner

Walthers Small Window (on order)

Walthers Small Window (on order)

Walthers Observation (on order)

It's really designed to offer the vibe of a full Super Chief consist.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

So, I have a funny story for you all, and a cautionary tale...

I am perusing Ebay (as we all do I'm sure) and I saw an Atlas VO-1000 in Santa Fe zebra stripe for $60 or so. Not bad I thought, I'll watch that.

A couple of days later, I get an email saying the item is nearing the end of it's auction, so I look again. It has a buy it now or best offer, so I offer a cheeky amount of $50, and think if he says no, not a massive issue.

About half an hour later, I get another email saying offer accepted, please pay now. Great stuff! I pay and just look at my new bargain purchase (about £35 in real money).

I am reading the description again and notice a line right at the top:

"All items are N gauge unless stated"....

Oh b****r!....

Within 15 minutes it now has a 40ft boxcar, stockcar and caboose to join it.

And that's how I accidentally started in American N gauge.

Edited by Robatron86
  • Like 5

Funny, but that's exactly the same way that I got started in N scale!  I saw a B & O "President Polk" loco at a moderate price and bought it without noticing the N in  the scale box.  Now I have quite a large collection of both passenger and freight.  Luckily the Mickleover Club Hillandale layout has a track for N scale (it also covers  ON30 as well as OO/HO).  It's quite satisfying to run my Kato Super Chief+El Capitan rig taking up most of the fiddle yard. Great advantage of N over HO to me is the lower weight of a big train is much less strain on my aged muscles getting it in and out of the car.

• Like 1

Hi Robatron86,

the difference between HO and N on your photo isn't big.

N gauge is a very nice scale to make a "railroad" with long trains, broad curves, big scenery and to multiply turnouts. The Kato, Intermountain, Atlas, etc. locomotives run fantastically. I had a lot of fun making my project during years.

I had made a shortline layout. Here is a trackside photo took along the line...

post-27876-0-62740500-1454768366.jpg

I keep very good souvenirs. But HO and O scales are really good too.

Because of several reasons, I have switched from N to O scale. I like HO scale too. I modeled HO US and french during a long time. Now I love O scale even if I don't have enough space to make an empire. But it's another adventure.

Each scale has its fun and pleasure and permit to make different subjects.

;)

• Like 4

I would love to do american O gauge, but I don't have any space for it, Tilley Yard South takes up all the available space in my shed.

N gauge on the other hand can live anywhere.

You don't need a lot of space to make a nice switching diorama in O scale. A friend of mine who has only a 2 m x 0,50 m space in his flat is making a simple but attractive layout.

A little shelf with a diorama can be interesting to do a little of O scale.

Edited by JAMO

That's a great photo there JAMO.

Do you have a thread with more info on that layout?

I do love me some Alcos!

Thank you DanielB!

No, sorry I don't have a thread about this layout.

I love Alcos too!

;)

I started my US outline modelling with N Scale - deliberately, I should add..!! At the time it was far superior to UK N, and far less expensive than European N - much like American HO was!!

My lad likes British N now. Quality & detail is incredible these days, & we're slowly building a layout together. But it reminds me that I'm rapidly approaching needing reading glasses, and I struggle to see the stuff!! We bought one of those plastic railing ramps to help put the stock on the track. It was for my benefit!! So I couldn't go back to N now, even if I wanted to. Full respect to those who do use it though!

Been doing a few bits and pieces to the yard, and getting it running smoothly for the Solent exhibition at the end of the month...all I can say is that the track and rolling stock need a damn good clean!

20160209_095110.jpg

I finally finished the electrical wiring. Only took another hour and a half! It now crosses over the tracks at the over bridge.

20160208_123501.jpg

Dan is on his break with his pup, Sparky. Sparky has his eyes on lunch...

20160211_133042.jpg

Yard was busy today...I don't know where that reefer came from...

Short video for you all.

• Like 4