Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Robatron86

• RMweb Gold

Looking great. That snow effect really looks good. I'll be going to the Farnham show tomorrow, so will be sure to stop and take a look.

Cheers, Chris

Edited by Geep7

• RMweb Gold

Nice to have a chat yesterday and you have a really effective little layout. I've had an NAM itch to scratch for some time and seeing layouts like yours helps to build up the mojo to make a start.

So, it has finally been finished...

20151020_075214.jpg

My original plan was to gently remove the Southern Pacific lettering, but that removed the paint as well! So a repaint was in order. Washed, scrubbed and dried, then the primer went on. Flawless. Then I tried a chrome spray. Disaster. Orange peel everywhere! So that came off. Primed again and then using Revell Silver and I was finally happy.

I am now extending the layout to accomodate a passenger service.

Edited by Robatron86
  • Like 4

Farnham/ Aldershot was a good show. I even enjoyed watching some P4 (though there were rather too many N gauge tailchasers)...

And I have to say that this layout has proved disproportionately inspiring to me, as I've been getting in a right mess with a cornerstone kit since that (even though the layout is still under the bed).

Was good to put a face to a name, too.

Being honest, when I started modelling NA, I had no interest in passenger operations...

20151020_225444.jpg

I think that is no longer the case.

Just been adding car numbers to my baggage longe and diner cars

20151020_231350.jpg

20151020_231332.jpg

I think that is a really nice touch by Walthers. Full sheet of decals to outfit your cars to a specific number.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Quick question:

What sort of time period would have these been used? My brother bought these for me a couple of christmasses ago. My google search was inconclusive.

20151020_225027.jpg

Hi there,

I think it's a case of....

IYMR - do what you want!

There are still plenty of this type of carriage about in the States.

OK - they are mainly on tourist and heritage lines - but they are there and even in daily service.

Thanks

Quick question:

What sort of time period would have these been used? My brother bought these for me a couple of christmasses ago. My google search was inconclusive.20151020_225027.jpg

Hi Rob,

Lovely looking coaches! I would suggest they are from approximately the 1920s period, I'm pretty sure that if they were post WW2, they would be lightweight streamlined coaches. I dare say they saw service throughout the Santa Fe's existence until Amtrak took over but that's really just a guess. I know that some of the roads I have followed certainly used this type of coach on excursions like final steam specials so you'd be fine for that.

Incidentally I have a small stock of Santa Fe coach lettering and numbers, foc if you're interested?

Cheers,

John E.

Just took a look at Fallen Flags, there aren't many shots of ATSF heavyweight cars but I did find this http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/atsf/atsf-rp2054jpa.jpg

As John E says on other roads heavyweight cars stayed in service on secondary trains until railroads made deep cuts in passenger service in the 60's. On ATSF a number of these cars became MoW living cars.

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

Heavyweight coaches were used well into the '50s (and beyond) by some roads. Streamlined lightweight coaches were used for the more prestige services, but the heavyweights could be seen doing commuter or other secondary service. No heavyweights made it into Amtrak service, though. It is quite likely that they would be seen alongside your lightweight cars.

To give an idea, when Pullman was forced to divest itself of its car fleet in 1945, there were 609 lightweight cars and 3994 heavyweight cars (primarily sleepers of some form), as well as 2200 tourist cars (whatever they were). http://utahrails.net/pass/pass-pullman.php

Some railroads (e.g. the PRR) had such huge fleets of heavyweight cars that they continued using them (with modifications from minimal change up to rebuilding so that they looked like lightweights) until the end of their passenger operations.

That first car is, I think, a unique ATSF car and that is its post-1937 guise. A few similar cars also existed but the style of car was unique to the ATSF. See http://www.trainweb.org/fredatsf/protopass1.htm and look at the Rivarossi section (this is for N, but RR made the same cars in HO).

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle