Class 800 - Updates

Marvellous how DB could design signalling systems that were tolerant of the early 3-phase drives decades ago, yet we are still struggling.

Jim

You have to remember there are differences between EU and UK signalling systems. A big difference is that UK signalling systems see a unoccupied track circuit as line clear, so a false return could create a clear aspect with a train in section. The EU standard tends to use the system where a clear track circuit doesn`t mean line clear unless the next track circuit is occupied. A bit like a signal man not accepting a train until he has seen it past his box.

You have to remember there are differences between EU and UK signalling systems. A big difference is that UK signalling systems see a unoccupied track circuit as line clear, so a false return could create a clear aspect with a train in section. The EU standard tends to use the system where a clear track circuit doesn`t mean line clear unless the next track circuit is occupied. A bit like a signal man not accepting a train until he has seen it past his box.

Exactly, and it stood them in good stead when the modern generation of traction technology came along. We still seem to be struggling.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Testing of the class 800/1s is now bringing them more regularly to the outposts of LNER's routes.

Not the first visit to Skipton, most of the earlier visits have been during the night hours, but in the gathering twilight 800103 approaches on 14th August with 5X91, 17.48 Doncaster Carr IEP depot to Skipton... 

post-414-0-25683900-1534326254.jpg

... ready to form 5X92, 20.53 Skipton to Harrogate, with a reversal at Leeds.  

post-414-0-77269700-1534326261.jpg

post-414-0-22484800-1534326269.jpg

The set also visited Bradford Forster Square (5X93) just before midnight, before returning to Doncaster (5X94) in the early hours.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Spotted my first 800 crossing St Levan Viaduct yesterday, are they still crew training down here or are they now in service?

Down here, be Devon.

Apart from a Saturday trip to Paignton (two weeks with a 9-car and last week with a 5-car) they aren't in service yet "down Devon". Suggestions on other fora are saying Monday 20th for the higher powered 802s to start earning their living with two 2 x 5-car diagrams.

Apart from a Saturday trip to Paignton (two weeks with a 9-car and last week with a 5-car) they aren't in service yet "down Devon". Suggestions on other fora are saying Monday 20th for the higher powered 802s to start earning their living with two 2 x 5-car diagrams.

No suggestion, they are starting on Monday, sets due to run down to Laira tomorrow Friday for Mondays services.

Edited by royaloak

Just checked and the duty for the 0553 is uncovered, no driver allocated, but the person we all expect to work it (resident glory boy) was spare but couldnt be allocated it as the time movement would have been greater than the agreement, but he is shown as Instructing so I wonder what train he will be instructing on?

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On a grey and drizzly morning 802007 and 006 enter passenger service by working 1C04 Paddington to Penzance via the traditional "Great Way Round" route (my compact camera really didn't like a dark train with very bright lights approaching out of the gloom, so no "arriving" photo I'm afraid).

post-5204-0-27416200-1534753376_thumb.jpg

Destination: Penzance!

post-5204-0-48326200-1534753383_thumb.jpg

It wasn't just the routing via Bristol which was traditional, the six minutes late running it manged today is also long standing tradition on this service. I used to watch its equivalent from the tutor room window as we waited for registration at school back in the early 1980s and it hardly ever achieved an on time departure...

Ready for the off

post-5204-0-89241000-1534753392_thumb.jpg

And that was that. 

• Like 5

Unit on test at York on Tuesday, Set 800 202 running off the overhead.

post-9992-0-92087600-1535047569_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-32924200-1535047586_thumb.jpg

Then another one came in. It was only when I saw the black stripe when I realised in was a Trans Pennine unit 802 201 on test running on diesel power.

post-9992-0-40486900-1535047783_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-67666100-1535047894_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif20180820_161831.jpg

attachicon.gif20180820_162507.jpg

Then another one came in. It was only when I saw the black stripe when I realised in was a Trans Pennine unit 802 201 on test running on diesel power.

attachicon.gif20180820_162024.jpg

attachicon.gif20180820_162054.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Isn't the only difference the lack of yellow end?

• RMweb Premium

If you want a 'day of fun' with 800s then go to Donny, sit outside the Micro Pub and just watch the procession. All sorts of combinations and power provision.

Retford is almost a good but there is no Micro Pub, no 88s AFAIK and hardly any freight in the daylight these days.

The workings are hilarious if you take the time to work them out; up down, down, down, up, up down up and so on between Kings Cross and some places north of York.

Phil 

• Like 1

If you want a 'day of fun' with 800s then go to Donny, sit outside the Micro Pub and just watch the procession. All sorts of combinations and power provision.

Retford is almost a good but there is no Micro Pub, no 88s AFAIK and hardly any freight in the daylight these days.

The workings are hilarious if you take the time to work them out; up down, down, down, up, up down up and so on between Kings Cross and some places north of York.

Phil

There’s a micro pub coming to Retford station soon.

Have LNER decided what colours to paint them in?  Or are they waiting for a design company to come up with something totally impractical such as all over white!

How about Garter blue or Apple green, probably already suggested.....  Lets get away from red.

If they are sensible the scheme will be similar to either GWR or Scotrail with just a small vinyl identifying the TOC.  The general public want to see consistency they don't need to know who operates it.

• Like 1

Have LNER decided what colours to paint them in?  Or are they waiting for a design company to come up with something totally impractical such as all over white!

How about Garter blue or Apple green, probably already suggested.....  Lets get away from red.

If they are sensible the scheme will be similar to either GWR or Scotrail with just a small vinyl identifying the TOC.  The general public want to see consistency they don't need to know who operates it.

I would go with Apple green Drive cars & brown (teak) centre cars

• Like 1

I thought this was the chosen scheme: https://www.flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/42066752645

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would go with Apple green Drive cars & brown (teak) centre cars

In that case might we see the GW sets

with centre cars in brown & cream?

• Like 1

attachicon.gif20180820_161831.jpg

attachicon.gif20180820_162507.jpg

attachicon.gif20180820_162024.jpg

attachicon.gif20180820_162054.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

They're not just test running, crew training is now taking place on LNER.

The restriction running on electric I mentioned last month still applies, and they're restricted to running on diesel between Doncaster and Berwick. They're also required to stop to change over.

Isn't the only difference the lack of yellow end?

No, the TPE's an 802, like GWR's West Country sets, with the engines uprated so they can get up the hills, unlike the LNER sets.

That brings us back to the question asked the other week, could the EC sets be uprated but without the larger tanks, to which i questioned what the range would be, given increased fuel consumption but with small tanks. I've since heard that the facilities at Inverness have been upgraded for fuelling them there, so they'd only need to manage to make a single journey between Edinburgh and Inverness on a tank (but maybe, still Doncaster - Berwick too, see above), so probably could be done, but I've not heard of any intention of doing so.

• RMweb Premium

I got Roger Ford's ezine a few days ago and there is quite a bit more about the electrical interference problems. IIRC the issue is some trackside transformers that need changing. One has been sorted and a test with one train done but they need to test with two trains in the vicinity. Then they need to scope the works fully and agree a programme of possessions and works to identify and change other similar pieces of kit. There is also the problem of who pays. I suspect that when I eventually get the new Modern Railways and read the full article it will all get clearer.

Jamie