Class 800 - Updates

• RMweb Premium

800 001 and 002 are running as a 10 car set between Darlington and York and a third unit is running Peterborough/Grantham. All were stabled at Doncaster when I went through this morning.

Inter-unit coupling appears to be a Scharfenburger type.

001/002 were very quiet pulling out of York and stepped away, on diesel power, very quickly indeed. Sounded as if they were only running three engines per five car set though. Destination displays were showing Swansea!

001 was ballasted using 25kg weightlifting type weights whilst 002 is almost fully fitted on the interior. Both units have cameras fitted near the doors looking towards the centre of the coach. A few pictures follow, apologies for the quality of a couple of these.

IMG_0351_zps3gmjsoim.jpg

IMG_0352_zpsr2ebzt7m.jpg

IMG_0355_zps6sjh5avv.jpg

IMG_0356_zpsweqy9uq1.jpg

IMG_0358_zps5onm9bgp.jpg

IMG_0359_zpscdngetmk.jpg

• Like 3

Can anyone enlighten me as to the wheel notation for the Class 801 (?) pure electric train, in its full-fat 9-car incarnation, please?

The bible claims 2-2 + 2-2 + 2-2 + 2-2 + Bo-Bo + 2-2 + 2-2 + 2-2 + 2-2 but I don't buy this, surely there's distributed power, not this apparent APT-P motive power....

001/002 were very quiet pulling out of York and stepped away, on diesel power, very quickly indeed. Sounded as if they were only running three engines per five car set though. Destination displays were showing Swansea!

They only have 3 engines per 5 car - the driving cars have a lower floor to allow space for the pantograph well, and there's not enough space underneath for an engine. Emissions regulations mean they have to use relatively tall engines (a V12, rather than a horizontally mounted in-line engine as on most DMUs).

Badger was the class 89, especially in it's first livery.

I'm aware that 89001, 'Avocet' was known as the badger, but as it's no longer in traffic I think the name badger is very appropriate for the Class 800's.

I think grey sheds would be a better name for them, going by the DaFT inspired interior and exterior colour scheme.

DaFT exterior colour scheme???

The GWR sets will be in GWR livery; the VTEC livery hasn't been revealed yet (the "Azuma" launch livery is a one-off) and the likely TransPennine livery has also been shown in graphical form.

Hull Trains will no doubt have their own livery too ( I can't recall if images have been shown yet).

So what's this DaFT livery?

• RMweb Premium

I believe the green of the GWR livery is actually a paint finish on the Class 802s

But aren't those the ones GWR ordered themselves and thus had more of an ability to influence things on compared to the 'procured' by the well known rolling stock experts in the DfT & Treasury?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I hear that they are about 3 months late so far.

GWR and VTEC are both going to be serviced at the Hitachi facilities at North Pole which could make getting sets to KGX interesting.

I hear that they are about 3 months late so far.

GWR and VTEC are both going to be serviced at the Hitachi facilities at North Pole which could make getting sets to KGX interesting.

They look after 180s for Hull trains at OOC. I doubt many ECML sets will actually use North Pole though, aren't they building a home for them at Doncaster? Maybe NP for some kind of heavy attention, but if they just park them there overnight...

• RMweb Premium

They look after 180s for Hull trains at OOC. I doubt many ECML sets will actually use North Pole though, aren't they building a home for them at Doncaster? Maybe NP for some kind of heavy attention, but if they just park them there overnight...

The Doncaster depot has been built and I believe that the various test sets that are out and about on the ECML are based there. IIRC it's on the site of the old Carr loco facility.

Jamie

The Doncaster depot has been built and I believe that the various test sets that are out and about on the ECML are based there. IIRC it's on the site of the old Carr loco facility.

Jamie

It's a lovely depot to work in, scenic vistas of concrete sleeers as far as the eye can see and 66's left idling outside the mess room!