RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Two thoughts on the copper tape.  Dabs on the edges with a hot glue gun here and there should keep it in place. However if you fixed two strips down the underside of the baseboard surface before fixing to the crossmembers  that may stop it falling.

Don

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 18/03/2023 at 11:06, MrWolf said:

Having had some experience with adhesive copper tape myself, I'll second that. It's sticks well enough to PCB material (although it is designed to be removable) but it's unlikely to be happy struck underneath a wooden baseboard for any length of time especially as wood moves at a different rate in the ambient surroundings.

I have used copper tape as the DCC bus on three layouts so far. The tape was stuck to the unpainted plywood underside on all. The first is now 5 years old and the tape shows no signs of coming off any time soon.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking of using it on a shelf layout on the upper surface, hidden under scenery, so the undersurface of the shelf remains free of clutter. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, Ruston said:

I have used copper tape as the DCC bus on three layouts so far. The tape was stuck to the unpainted plywood underside on all. The first is now 5 years old and the tape shows no signs of coming off any time soon.

The tape you bought must be much stickier than that bought by one of my former employers. Do you know what brand it is?

• RMweb Premium

How about a bus bar using two lengths of brass rod spaced an 1" apart this can be fixed in place with a brass cleat made up 2 or 3 per length.

I've used 1/16th brass rod inside buildings as bus bar in 16mm garden railways station building and a loco shed

• Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The tape you bought must be much stickier than that bought by one of my former employers. Do you know what brand it is?

I don't. All I know about it is that it's about half an inch wide and that I bought it from Direct Train Spares, of Burnley.

That would be the difference. What we were using for testing or prototyping (and subsequently our own jobs) was about 4-5mm wide and sourced from RS components (good old govt approved supplier) who didn't actually manufacture it, only sourced and supplied it.

Half inch wide would of course have the advantage of a far greater area of adhesive.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

How about a bus bar using two lengths of brass rod spaced an 1" apart this can be fixed in place with a brass cleat made up 2 or 3 per length.

I've used 1/16th brass rod inside buildings as bus bar in 16mm garden railways station building and a loco shed

Further thoughts on the above to fix you could use strips of 15amp Choc block  (terminal strip connector) - thread the bar through the choc blocks clamping in place and screw the blocks in place with 3.00mm wood screws through the mounting holes if you use a block 3 wide it will give you plenty of segregation allowing room to make connections by soldering to the bar

• Informative/Useful 1

That would be very handy even if it was just a common feed or return. You could drop in experimental circuits, or run continuity tests just with a wire and a crocodile clip.

For some reason, whenever I type the word "experimental", the predictive text wants to follow up with the word "sheep"....

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That would be very handy even if it was just a common feed or return. You could drop in experimental circuits, or run continuity tests just with a wire and a crocodile clip.

For some reason, whenever I type the word "experimental", the predictive text wants to follow up with the word "sheep"....

Experimental and Sheep. Those words are often interchangeable and can be used together.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Experimental and Sheep. Those words are often interchangeable and can be used together.

I'm far from experimental. I'm quite the traditionalist. Nothing ground breaking to see here.......

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening all. 

Ahem. 

Tonight, I've managed a bit of trainsetting.

I thank you. 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Yesterday evening's all too brief trainsetting interlude revolved around giving "Lucky" a run. 

20230324_084741-01.jpeg.1d71e491277122a68241818d2f61a391.jpeg

It's just possible that rather than being returned to Sentinel in 1926, it was sent off to earn it's keep in the backwater that Sheep Dip is.

I hope therefore to do a bit with 13, which runs to the required standard and will probably see some use at Larkrail where Sheep Dip could run as it appeared in 1930..........

Rob

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Is your woofer allowed into the railway room or are you still in house training mode ?  I can’t let mine loose in my shed because she wants to run off with anything chew sized !

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Bonjour M. Limpet. 

Sadly, The Temporary Acting Works Apprentice won't be setting paw in the Room of Doom as it's located in the upstairs of Chateau Sheep. 

As he is hopefully going on to greater things once he turns 1yr, there are rules we all have abide by. 

20230324_112435-04.jpeg.e131947b61ddb267f40d15ad1e910c80.jpeg

No sofa surfing, no upstairs are two of the basics. He's pretty good now with his house training and will sort himself out when told to do so. Only the occasional accident which is normally our fault for missing his signs, though he has mastered the "covert tinkle"

Other training is ongoing. He'll sit and wait now but does get a bit excited at times and loses his thread. Easy to forget he's just turned 12 weeks as he does try very hard. 

So for now at least, spending an evening in the R of D is not possible. 

Rob. 

He's worth it Rob.....

• Agree 4