NHY 581

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Not quite as the cat wouldn't come back unless it was a boomerang one.

a suitable piece of foam attached to the ceiling might work.

The problem with such shelving i find is that the sizes never seem to suit a lot of the stuff i have.

Don

1 hour ago, Donw said:

a suitable piece of foam attached to the ceiling might work.

The problem with such shelving i find is that the sizes never seem to suit a lot of the stuff i have.

Don

Hmm perhaps your not acquiring the 'right' stuff. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

The rebuild continues this morning. With some items back in situ, the retrieval process moves to the attic where I'm hoping to locate the rather large box of wagons and a few more locos............as well as the assorted books and the MRJ Collection. 

Once that's done, if space allows, I can move some more books up from the library in the living room..........

It's all go.....

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all, 

The rebuild continues this morning. With some items back in situ, the retrieval process moves to the attic where I'm hoping to locate the rather large box of wagons and a few more locos............as well as the assorted books and the MRJ Collection. 

Once that's done, if space allows, I can move some more books up from the library in the living room..........

It's all go.....

Rob. 

Rob not knowing your 'alternative storage space' aka the loft set up I offer this piece of advice hoping that you've already considered it but watch the weight. This is especially relevant with things like books and magazines which when stacked together can get quite heavy. 

• RMweb Gold

Morning Winners, 

Yes. Good point. Over the last few years now, I only buy magazines which have a feature within that I actually want. Normally these relate to members on here, my 'Mate's Trainsets'. 

The exception to this is MRJ for which I have all copies, something I set about completing when I retired. 

For years I religiously bought several magazines, month in, month out. I've cleared pretty much all of those now, literally hundreds of mags have been thrown out over the last couple of years. My MRJs are the single largest group by far and of all of them, they are the least 'negotiable'. 

I've also got a couple of years ( literally two 1980/81 ) of Model Trains.  I keep these as a reminder of how as a teenager, I started to try a more prototypical approach to my modelling.........five or so years later, I bought my first copy of MRJ. 

Anyhow.............school run done, second coffee finished. Somebody collecting bed this morning, tip run to organise, garage to tidy and Room of Doom to progress.............

Rob. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

These days even MRJ has to be culled. I find a lot of the time there is only one or two articles worth keeping. The last one had four or five pages of obituary/memoriam of a gentleman i never met.  Little value to me.

Don

Looks like a well ordered hobby room. Two layouts all ready for playing with operating, room for one to be worked on, all that reference material easily to hand and a nice tidy desk of doing with plenty of light for modelling duty.

Nicely done sir!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Thank you. I've never had something like this for a hobby room and it's taken a long time to get to this point. Worth the wait ? Definitely. Still a bit to do though.  I have quite a few bits and bobs to find homes for so there is still work to do but I'm obviously extremely happy with the results so far. 

But for now, I can't help but just pause to sit in there and look around. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 15
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

You can't beat having everything to hand and surrounding yourself with inspiration.

Morning Rob, 

I know what you mean but I also get a huge amount of inspiration from the interaction with the lovely group of people who visit this thread. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 07/11/2023 at 20:33, NHY 581 said:

Progress...........

20231107_203157.jpg.3ff4a576b1a3dca43bc9e47c4a8b08f9.jpg

I thank ewe. 

If you build the layout and lighting fascia well (and we know you do!) You can double deck the layouts and still operate them.

20231029_123129.jpg.b866699bc5941d278ff34eacd262c4c7.jpg

The fiddle yard on the lower layout is going to be cleared out this weekend. As I've just been reminded it's got to be ready for Thirsk at the end of July. As for the 009 layout out of sight to my right, September and nothing constructive done yet...

• Like 8

On 09/11/2023 at 20:01, NHY 581 said:

And Sheep Dip's loftier perch. More still to do on this side but enough is enough for now. 

20231109_195832.jpg.38d27ccc5400509db42fcac0f6fee3e1.jpg

Top row will eventually have glass doors/ glass shelves. 

Rob. 

Hi Rob,

Is the bell to ring for room service?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4