28 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I've been looking for a bit of Eastern inspiration and

On your marks.......

36372657-closeup-of-hand-holding-stopwatch-isolated-on-white-background.jpg.719522e610dd1cf1580bffd3296103d7.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I've been looking for a bit of Eastern inspiration and came across this little gem once more......

https://www.scalefour.org/shows/S4um2011/croft.html

Rob. 

The only layout I know that has been exhibited on the footplate of a loco, at Darlington a few years ago on the Q7.

One of the best little layouts around, but beware, you will be given the controller!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

The only layout I know that has been exhibited on the footplate of a loco,

Or outside of a hairdressing shop.

CroftDepotRedcar-004-EditSm.jpg.adbfe70dd6102f7561bea038456c39dd.jpg

at Darlington a few years ago on the Q7.

Ahhh, "The Q7 on a Q7" exhibition.  Also known as the Porcy on a Presflo Show  (I got stuck on top of a Presflo, alright!)

CroftDepDarloEx--031-EditSm.jpg.d4fdc5904a51abfa724b9e77608d5f94.jpg

One of the best little layouts around,

Stop flattering him. He's building a layout out of cardboard now!

but beware, you will be given the controller!

Just so we can disappear of to the pub!

Apologies to Rob for the diversion.

P

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

Or outside of a hairdressing shop.

CroftDepotRedcar-004-EditSm.jpg.adbfe70dd6102f7561bea038456c39dd.jpg

Ahhh, "The Q7 on a Q7" exhibition.  Also known as the Porcy on a Presflo Show  (I got stuck on top of a Presflo, alright!)

CroftDepDarloEx--031-EditSm.jpg.d4fdc5904a51abfa724b9e77608d5f94.jpg

Stop flattering him. He's building a layout out of cardboard now!

Just so we can disappear of to the pub!

Apologies to Rob for the diversion.

P

Got any photos of the layout you can post here, Porcers? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Got any photos of the layout you can post here, Porcers? 

Oh Dear Rob, schoolboy mistake.

Ask Porcy a question and 40% will be the answer, 40% some long winded obscure refererence and 40% reminiscence of learning at Grannie Mains knee (painted black and used with chalk)

Mike

P.S. Duncan maintains Croft is my fault anyway

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

Ask Porcy a question and 40% will be the answer, 40% some long winded obscure refererence and 40% reminiscence of learning at Grannie Mains knee (painted black and used with chalk)

Mike

Oi!  Did you ask me about a certain quarry for to base your layout on and within seconds, you had learnt, not only about that quarry also about the  little and obscure gunpowder and detonator manufactory that lay opposite, the Dorman & Long steam crane that worked the branch and into the Quarry, the rather strange 4 semaphores controlling a flat level crossing etc., etc????

I now present you with a photograph.  (That contains yet another missive, the story of a heinous unsolved murder but was taken with a few yards of your new abode).

https://flic.kr/p/2iZ4G4T

Not even a mention of my Granny.

P.s ave you got your new layout built yet???

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

Oh Dear Rob, schoolboy mistake.

Mike

P.S. Duncan maintains Croft is my fault anyway

It would appear, Mike, that you have poked the bear. See below for info................:D

11 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Oi!  Did you ask me about a certain quarry for to base your layout on and within seconds, you had learnt, not only about that quarry also about the  little and obscure gunpowder and detonator manufactory that lay opposite, the Dorman & Long steam crane that worked the branch and into the Quarry, the rather strange 4 semaphores controlling a flat level crossing etc., etc????

I now present you with a photograph.  (That contains yet another missive, the story of a heinous unsolved murder but was taken with a few yards of your new abode).

Never mind that......more photos.............:good:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

22 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

My current location precludes modelling of any sort (and I am sure would be a misuse of NHS property). Verbal badinage is the only sharp thing allowed....

• Friendly/supportive 4

46 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

Mike

40% +  40% + 40%. Is that like position 11 on the volume control?

Similar to the Sunday night question posed to Lol Lawson in this pub not that long ago..

It went someting like this:

Porcy, How Lol, good Chinese (take away) last night?

Lol,  Nah, average. (sighs)  I had half...  wor lass had half... and we chucked the other half away.

The pub where it happened.  Pic by the late Ian S Carr. Posted with permission.

13-CarolineCrossing-ISC.jpg.5110f0e09ef7fd751e98edec162c9a5b.jpg

• Like 9
  • Funny 2

47 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

My current location precludes modelling of any sort

You'd better hurry up or I'll nick your idea.  I shalt christen my layout, "Nanny Pop Lonnen".

As is mostly the case, fact is stranger than fiction.

NannyPopLonnen.jpg.c376e8e1269b2f89bbe977cc09f10afc.jpg

Right that's enough mental exercise for one day. The suns oot so I'm off for some physical.

Again with apologies to Rob for the Hijack.  Some pics later.

And Mike, Stay safe, as is the trendy thing to say at the moment and enjoy the clap.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

And Mike, Stay safe, as is the trendy thing to say at the moment and enjoy the clap.

:o

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Got to say, though, Mr Sheeplywarner, some of these oop north east scenes are rather splendid, aren't they? Very evocative and modellable, I'd say. Not quite as evocative and modellable as various scenes in the Principality, mind. I'm minded to have a nice bit of Maesteg with some chips later.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I say, Mr Sheepshearingclippers, do you have any idea wot these chappies are on about?

It's not Welsh I know that.......

14 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Got to say, though, Mr Sheeplywarner, some of these oop north east scenes are rather splendid, aren't they? Very evocative and modellable, I'd say. Not quite as evocative and modellable as various scenes in the Principality, mind. I'm minded to have a nice bit of Maesteg with some chips later.

One agrees. 

This is nice......

https://otcm.wordpress.com/six-quarters/

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 12/05/2020 at 22:16, NHY 581 said:

And neither does one of these.....

68184 was acquired last week. It had a distinct nod to it as it moved about the place, as if something was oval or out of line, but not so much to return it. So I had a poke and prod about this evening

I'm grateful to Mark (46444) who was kind enough to send me some photos which assisted greatly in dismantling the little chap. 

On investigation, I found that the gears and worm were coated in a thick white grease which had gone hard in the teeth which couldn't have helped. 

It's now  much better. Much smoother and quieter so I hope I have resolved it. 

Rob. 

20200512_213135-01.jpeg

I strip, clean, and relube to my specifications any loco (though I recommend it for women as well) that comes into my possession as a matter of course, and have never made the running worse.  The grease is put on in the assembly plant in China for shipping fire regulation and insurance reasons, and is a PITA but most will run for cover when attacked with a rattlecan switch cleaner, from the bloke upstairs in the Market now we've lost Maplins.  The grease will eventually solidify and perform the opposite function to that for which it is intended, but not in any way that can be predicted.  

Recent developments at Cwmdimbath have opened the possibility of a colliery loco, and a Sentinel is suitable; there was a real one at Blaengarw in a very similar light blue livery to one that is available RTR, but investigations are very much at the fag packet stage for now.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I strip, clean, and relube to my specifications any loco (though I recommend it for women as well) that comes into my possession as a matter of course, and have never made the running worse.  The grease is put on in the assembly plant in China for shipping fire regulation and insurance reasons, and is a PITA but most will run for cover when attacked with a rattlecan switch cleaner, from the bloke upstairs in the Market now we've lost Maplins.  The grease will eventually solidify and perform the opposite function to that for which it is intended, but not in any way that can be predicted.  

Recent developments at Cwmdimbath have opened the possibility of a colliery loco, and a Sentinel is suitable; there was a real one at Blaengarw in a very similar light blue livery to one that is available RTR, but investigations are very much at the fag packet stage for now.  

I'm sure I've seen this before somewhere . . . . . .

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I have to agree with Bonwick Minor,   There is a degree of familiarity about the above Jonners.....

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 1