• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Lovely, just so atmospheric. Do you consider this done now Rob, or is there more you want to do?

Frankly I can't see what else there could be, though.

Al.

Morning Al. 

It's coming on.  Sheep Dip just  needs detailing, perhaps more than either Bleat Wharf or Mutton. 

The corrugated hut to the left of the stone 'office' above also needs some attention and would benefit from weathering, which thus far, it seems to have evaded. Maybe a job  for the weekend. 

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 02/10/2020 at 17:49, NHY 581 said:

20200913_180040-03.jpeg

This is such a wonderful shot, the realism is amazing. But I think it's about how evocative and atmospheric it is; my Dad has sometimes talked about how he used to live in South Wales as a kid, watching the "green saddletanks trundling past the field behind the house". This shot is exactly the sort of scene I pictured when he said it 

• Like 4

Funny you should say that, I remember my dad talking about cycling round the quarries in Leicestershire in the early fifties. It was all gone by the time I was born, but I'm having the same kind of recollections reading this topic.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Ben B said:

This is such a wonderful shot, the realism is amazing. But I think it's about how evocative and atmospheric it is; my Dad has sometimes talked about how he used to live in South Wales as a kid, watching the "green saddletanks trundling past the field behind the house". This shot is exactly the sort of scene I pictured when he said it 

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Funny you should say that, I remember my dad talking about cycling round the quarries in Leicestershire in the early fifties. It was all gone by the time I was born, but I'm having the same kind of recollections reading this topic.

Morning Ben, Wolfy.

I'm glad you gained so much from the photo and the thread in general.  This is exactly what model railways can and perhaps should do.   I've not set out to model South Wales industrial lines as such, but I've been very much influenced by the the photos of John Wiltshire and Gordon Edgar. 

A layout such as Sheep Dip can be where ever you want it to be.  I deliberately tried to avoid anything regional. That said, Hornby's plans this year include three South Wales  based saddle tanks, all of which are on the shopping list.........

Rob

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

7754 looks absolutely fabulous! 

Thank you, CK. I've not added much in the way of detail to this little chap other than a couple of lamp irons. I want to do a bit more but will leave it for a bit.

Fresh eyes and all that. 

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hornby's plans this year include three South Wales  based saddle tanks, all of which are on the shopping list

So that's another two W4s and a B2?

All very nice.

They look so cute, one just wants to scoop them all up and keep them in a comfortable, well-heated shed somewhere.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

So that's another two W4s and a B2?

All very nice.

They look so cute, one just wants to scoop them all up and keep them in a comfortable, well-heated shed somewhere.

Well, yes......and maybe another B2 as the Whiston livery matches the resident little chaps....

All living nicely together in a well heated spare bedroom in my case. 

My example of 7754 will  undoubtedly be more popular that  the real one apparently was but it's also a good deal grubbier that the real one seems to have been........but that's just me....

I do have a weakness for Pecketts....

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I've just read that Sheep Dip is to appear in December's BRM. Congratulations Rob, I'm looking forward to seeing it. Will they be your photos or has Andy Y broken his bail conditions?

Al.

Morning Al. 

Thank you. The photos will be mine as will the words. I would have liked them attributed to Norman Lockhart but didn't want to complicate things.....

I've seen the draft and it all looks lovely thus far.  I'm looking forward to seeing the end result as despite the industrial subject, I find that Sheep Dip is quite pretty. 

Rob. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Will there be a pic of Mollie's baps?

No. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1