New range of Thomas the Tank Engine in 2015

Coldgunner

• RMweb Gold

Just spoke to Hornby. Locos are still tender drive but powered by 5 pole skew wound motor not ringfield. There is also a DCC socket in the tender they said. 0-6-0 and 0-4-0 not dcc ready.

Ok so if I'm reading this correctly, the 060 and 040 models are unchanged. Feels very short sighted to me making half the range DCC ready and not the rest...

Think I will stick to the 2nd hand market for Thomas & Percy and look at the new range to tender engines. My 2 year old is able to use a 511 already, so will definitely end up giving her a DCC ready Thomas layout...

Just held Gordon in my hand, advantage of being a retailer, and examined the tender. Motor is definitely in there driving two axles with traction tyres diagonally opposite each other. There is an 8 pin socket in there to. Loco remains unchanged. I asked why they didn't use railroad loco chassis for the Thomas Gordon as it is the same as the flying scotsman. This question was met with silence and topic moved back onto new tender motor.

Just held Gordon in my hand, advantage of being a retailer, and examined the tender. Motor is definitely in there driving two axles with traction tyres diagonally opposite each other. There is an 8 pin socket in there to. Loco remains unchanged. I asked why they didn't use railroad loco chassis for the Thomas Gordon as it is the same as the flying scotsman. This question was met with silence and topic moved back onto new tender motor.

I am safe to assume this is the cherry on the cake then?  Absolutely ridiculous, it feels like so many corners have been cut just so they can keep the licence!

Basically, from what I can see, Hornby have just re-released the old models possibly with new motors. Definitely seems a missed opportunity. Then again these models have served Hornby very well for many years so perhaps they see no point in making major changes.

Since we know basically everything about the new range, I may as well post my thoughts.

I'm glad they went through the trouble of touching the models up. They could have kept Thomas and Percy's unpainted footplates, Edward's angry eyebrows and Gordon's thousand-yard stare, but the fact that they updated them at all shows at least some signs of progress. Even changes as minuscule as the exact shade of green or the font of Gordon's number I was happy to see. 

A lot of my posts on here have made it look like I'm heavily biased towards Bachmann. In attempt to counter this, I will say that Bachmann's earliest models are in need of similar aesthetic updates as well. Thomas, Percy and Henry could all do with new faces, and James could do with being retooled entirely- as well as his face and paint application being off, his cab is literally a block that houses the motor- the Hornby James is definitely the better looking of the two.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't happy with the visual changes the range has got, though at the same time, I'd also be lying if I said it wouldn't have been nice to see a little more. I'm glad that the faces have been toned down to look more friendly than they used to, but one of the things that Hornby's Thomas line was always praised for in the past, was their expertly-sculpted faces (especially in comparison to the early Bachmann stuff). So it's a shame they haven't exhibited their expert sculpting by making new faces to match the characters from the CGI series. Remember when Hornby made a limited edition Thomas model with a unique surprised face sculpt? I can't see that happening now.

And since I am pleased by little nuances, I shall also be critical of little nuances. The unpainted axleboxes on Gordon and Henry's tenders make the whole tender body look like a solid lump of cheap plastic. Considering Gordon's tender has a plastic bodyshell and metal axleboxes, I don't even see why the axleboxes were blue in the first place! The paint application actually manages to make Gordon's tender look more plasticky than it actually is! 

All in all, Hornby's "new" range looks good from an aesthetic standpoint. A few things could have been done to make it look great, but all in all, a good offering.

The biggest disappointment with the "new" Thomas range would have to be the decision to retain the tender-drive motors. Standardisation is the key reason for the Hornby Thomas range's discrepancies from the source material. Standard chassis types and body toolings are used so Hornby don't have to make unique designs for the Thomas range. So why, the one time where standardisation can be used to make the Thomas range better, do Hornby suddenly have a change of heart? It feels like a lose-lose situation. Hornby are having to manufacture a motor/chassis unique to the Thomas range, even though customers would prefer standard motors from the Railroad range. 

Also, the way that Hornby approached Sawyermodels' question about Railroad motors comes across as a little unprofessional. Of course they're not going to reply with "we're lazy" or "we forgot", but you'd expect them to have had some kind of stock excuse for a question like that.

Hey all,

Just been browsing through the new Hornby handbook and I've noted a listing under the Thomas and Friends section called 'Edward's Day Out' (product code R9286), haven't heard anything about this one and there is nothing on the website.

Would seem like a set, Edward and a couple of coaches? 

Anyone have an idea? 

Browsing the modelling mags this morning I noticed a couple with Hornby's "new" range advert... where they use exactly the same promotional pics as the "old" range. To really sell the range you would have thought that Hornby would have pulled out the stops to show off what differences there are. The adverts are in magazines aimed at serious modellers and not kids mags, these are the people who want to know the difference so they can upgrade etc. First you replace the catalogue with an inferior product then you don't even bother to use new pictures to show off a new range, I'm always been pro Hornby but just lately...

• RMweb Premium

I see we have a bumper release at hattons. Thomas, Percy, Annie & Clarabel, Troublesome Trucks, Gordon's coaches, James' coaches, the wagon triple packs, and old slow coach. Now just need Edward, Henry, Gordon and James to complete the line up. I think £36 seems really good value for Thomas and Percy.

• RMweb Gold

Correction: 'Gordon' is the old Tri-ang A3 body  and is not the same as the Railroad Scotsman, which is a new tooling. I've tried, and the Railroad chassis won't fit the Tri-ang body without a lot of hacking around. Why they haven't used the Railroad loco drive Black 5 chassis for 'Henry' on the other hand is a mystery.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has anyone got their hands on the new Henry yet? Some of they pics earlier in this thread look like a slightly glossier paint scheme than he used to have. Hattons haven't put pics up yet.

Archived