RMweb

I think he republished the list in one of his books of photos relatively recently; there were quite a lot of pre-Nationalisation types, including the SR-designed type that Cambrian have issued fairly recently. I don't know what flows the non-roller-bearing examples were intended for, but they carried the 'For China Clay use only', Pool numbers, and PPM dates in the same manner as the other types, which would suggest they weren't just odd 'normal' wagons that had been conscripted.

What did surprise me a bit was that 'Clayliner' roller-bearing-fitted stock didn't have a different TOPS code to distinguish it- all the examples I saw were branded 'OWV'. After all, Vanwides carried 'VEV', 'VMV' and 'VWV', depending whether they had plain or roller-bearings.

Larkins book 'Wagons of the final years of British Railways' 1962-1968  (2008), page 7 lists a number of wagons which received roller bearings from Palvans for the Stoke-on-Trent service 

they were 10' wheelbase vacuum braked vehicles and they include all wooden bodied wagons prefixed B, E, M, S and W, and wagons with corrugated steel ends prefixed B and M.

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Don't think its D1025 Jonny, as it was built without headboard clips, perhaps D1035? The slide and high res scan will reveal all!

edit - Phil - snap

Neil

Cheers Neil my money is on 35 too but would like to find another pic with that scar - unless your high res scan clarifies matters of course!

Kind regards

Phil

Cheers Neil my money is on 35 too but would like to find another pic with that scar - unless your high res scan clarifies matters of course!

Kind regards

Phil

Could it be 1023? I seem to remember that someone is doing a model of it complete with damaged nameplate on here.

If this works It's of a question that I asked,

Hello all,

in Johns photo below, you can see two lighter coloured panels on the front end, was this some sort of new colour scheme, has any one got a side on photo showing this?

post-8920-0-70587700-1424433630_thumb.jp

Hope you don't mind me posting your photo John?

OzzyO.  

• RMweb Premium

Don't think its D1025 Jonny, as it was built without headboard clips, perhaps D1035? The slide and high res scan will reveal all!

edit - Phil - snap

Neil

Could it be 1023? I seem to remember that someone is doing a model of it complete with damaged nameplate on here.

The (higher) position of the OHL warning flashes would suggest a Crewe built loco. Don't remember seeing photos of D1035 with a scrawp like that though.

EDIT - Found a photo here http://taillampphotography.com/D1024_D1034.htm - looks like D1031 Western Rifleman has a scawp in the right place and that the slide is marked correctly.

Edited by brushman47544

Only got turned away from Toton, and I played the "walk to the foremans office past everything" to walk back past other stuff when he said no.

Same for Hither Green.

Landore never said no to me, but Cardiff did.

Finsbury part never said no, but one Saturday while trying to photograph a Deltic the foreman shouted "oi! Stop that!", and I nearly wet myself when he came over and said "I'll turn the shed lights on so your picture will come out"! A true gentleman.

Did swindon a couple of times during the 80's purge on permits.

Bunked Stratford in the days of the class 15's and toffee apples in store there, and it was easy.

One day I got turned away, but saw an official party go in and tagged on the end. No one twigged that :-)

Bescot always said no, as did Tinsley and York and Saltley to me. Must have been the parka and flask.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm inclined to think that it IS D1031, taken in the summer of 1974.

1035 had a scar - its almost as if someone was making a habit of leaving wagons standing foul to do this! - see https://www.flickr.com/photos/arthurmorley/7752164298/in/photolist-pUiRJY-ciD77j-orMUbQ-cP2Sn9-ebRN1t-df3gX9-aEBZE5-df3foo-b9dgPT-r9tf1A-aEyanX-fNKtAa-6YRde2-hsvsWZ-aEyajX-q56fDU-bfLsjT-n6uXwc-kC6gt1-bfLshZ-bfLsn2-cvEYsY-aF1cYh-kq6ACV-dMpj1X-9xaeqq-oW2ADX-kq6YaT-bvmRLT-ouBTEx-oqQs9y-oboDhx-osSgVk-e35kix-nrpV3u-9uubA4-cMRLRW-d5fmpN-d5fshA-d5foiG-d5fnxW-drL2V9-9SDP9D-5F9jKb-aDmBBf-df3PmP-deEv8T-66uJXB-kFYhpF-eJGNhx

But it isn't the same as in the photo - agree with you Peter the scar and also front end condition look like 1031 - but cant square that up with the number, can you?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Close to finishing up the scanned images.

All Westerns tonight, some in unknown locations, but I'm sure that will be resolved shortly.

first to follow up on the scrapline pictures, D1005 Western Venturer which featured earlier leads,

D1063, D1021, D1034, D1011 and 24 037.

post-6925-0-51956600-1424457129_thumb.jpg

Then a classic picture of D1059 Western Empire at New Street 1st November 1975, Double Diamond indeed - part of the past that should remain there!

post-6925-0-78761900-1424457208_thumb.jpg

D1048 Western Lady at Reading, Date unknown

post-6925-0-15855200-1424457264_thumb.jpg

D1058 with telltale scars, Plymouth North road (edit slide does actually say Plymouth, oops) 29th March 1975

post-6925-0-22592500-1424457322_thumb.jpg

Finally D1029 Western Legionnaire at (I think) Westbury.

post-6925-0-29852300-1424457347_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 15

Close to finishing up the scanned images.

All Westerns tonight, some in unknown locations, but I'm sure that will be resolved shortly.

Finally D1029 Western Legionnaire at (I think) Westbury.

Neil

Yes I agree D1029 is Westbury, the cranes in the background are in Farrs

cheers

At some time in the following 10 years, they must have extended the platform at Westbury because the awning on that photo is very close to the end of the platform.

And that station is on a pronounced curve, but I thought Westbury was straighter than that.

Edited by jonny777

It has been suggested that I ought to cross-post a couple of images that I have in my own thread - so here goes.

July 1966, Liskeard, tatty hydraulics !!

attachicon.gif07_019 small.jpg

attachicon.gif07_020 small.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

A couple of interesting shots here John.

I'm not sure that there is any significance in the livery on the Thousand, but the Warship looks as though it has been kicked out into traffic part way through a repaint!

Martin Street confirms the id of the Warship as D864 Zambesi 

At some time in the following 10 years, they must have extended the platform at Westbury because the awning on that photo is very close to the end of the platform.

And that station is on a pronounced curve, but I thought Westbury was straighter than that.

Yes both platforms have been extended over the years.

I was looking for another view to confirm, but many are taken from the other end of the station, or off the bridge.

Here is another Western photo, taken I think from the Down Reception to the right of the D1029 shot but looking the same way,

I think we can see the same crane, building, trees and fence line from the other view though,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevor-plackett/5839701191/

and better yet, here is one of Andy Kirkhams photos from almost the exact spot, this time it is D1014

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52554553@N06/10421949163/

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

Unusually, despite searching my notes, I'm unable to provide any info on this one - other than it's Cardiff General, Platform 1, and an up Padd.

Brian R

EDIT:- D1008 'Western Harrier' at Cardiff General 24th. April, 1973 (the station became Cardiff Central the following week)

post-1599-0-94671700-1424468938_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Yes, 1058 is very definitely at Plymouth - the only other place there is a vaguely similar signal gantry to the one in the background is at Cardiff General but in a very different position.  1029 0f course is equally definitely at Westbury, on the Down Main and in the first pic linked by Rivercider the train is on the Down Reception at Westbury, the adjacent line is the Down Salisbury then the Down Main then the Up Salisbury then the  further island platform.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Unusually, despite searching my notes, I'm unable to provide any info on this one - other than it's Cardiff General, Platform 1, and an up Padd.

Brian R

Thanks for posting this one Brian.I'm thinking it's D1008 Western Harrier. Circa 1973?

Yes, 1058 is very definitely at Plymouth - the only other place there is a vaguely similar signal gantry to the one in the background is at Cardiff General but in a very different position.  1029 0f course is equally definitely at Westbury, on the Down Main and in the first pic linked by Rivercider the train is on the Down Reception at Westbury, the adjacent line is the Down Salisbury then the Down Main then the Up Salisbury then the  further island platform.

Yes. I had no idea the platforms had been extended at Westbury, I thought they had always been that long (mind you - I can't say that I take a lot of notice of that kind of thing, because the locos and rolling stock tend to grab my attention).