Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Here is another 'reject pile' slide I acquired off Ebay.

Ok, it leaves a lot to be desired and is never going to make it into one of Kevin's Strathwood albums, but at least it is a record of a moment in time never to be repeated.

attachicon.gifd1030 d811 taunton 1968.jpg

D1030 'Western Musketeer' and D811 'Daring' at Taunton in 1968 (allegedly).

I would say about 1965 as D1030 went into Blue with small yellow ends 8/66, can't see D811 livery but looks green to me D811 went Maroon with small yellow ends

11/65 so that could give you some idea of a date.

Cheers GARETH

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521

Most hydraulic photos/slides are way out of my price range on Ebay, especially if my financial controller takes more than a passing interest.

However, I occasionally take a punt on a poorer quality slide at much lower prices.

This is one of those, and I was pleasantly surprised to find the subject actually quite sharp despite the ingress of light into the film in places. The slide mount details say 1967, but I am concerned that the date might be a couple of years out as the loco is in green livery and the coaching stock is all maroon.

attachicon.gifd1037 tiverton junc 1967.jpg

D1037 Western Empress passing Tiverton Junction, but maybe not in 1967.

D1037 went to Blue small yellow ends 1/67 so this again could give you an idea of the date I'd  say 64/65

Both photos  are still a great bit of history great to see.

Cheers GARETH

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still buying slides, but can't do them justice with the cheap scanner bought recently as a stop gap before the excellent Nikon Coolscan gets repaired which is on the backburner as saving for a car for my wife.

This one won late last night, not the best quality slide, but very rare in my opinion. D1007 Western Talisman at (edit -Reading?) in her final livery of blue. Talisman of course ended her days in December 1973 in the West Ealing disaster, photos of her in blue are rare, I've only seen a few in the years I've been collecting.

I've lost loads of eBay auctions, Western slides are still fetching a premium price, one going for £100 plus. It was very nice and a high quality slide but out of my price range.

Slide tidied up a little bit, mainly to correct under exposure.

Edit 1B73 is the 1430 Paddington-Paignton in 1972/3 which I suspect is when this was taken.

post-6925-0-37596900-1469509361_thumb.jpeg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 10

Smashing shots

Whats the second vehicle in that last photo please Robert?

Kind regards

Phil

It's one of the four RSOs that had the same bodyshell as a Mark I SO and 48 fixed seats. So, they were basically an SO with different branding. They were originally on the Scottish Region - Sc1014-7 but some or all moved later to the WR.

Still buying slides, but can't do them justice with the cheap scanner bought recently as a stop gap before the excellent Nikon Coolscan gets repaired which is on the backburner as saving for a car for my wife.

This one won late last night, not the best quality slide, but very rare in my opinion. D1007 Western Talisman at Westbury in her final livery of blue. Talisman of course ended her days in December 1973 in the West Ealing disaster, photos of her in blue are rare, I've only seen a few in the years I've been collecting.

I've lost loads of eBay auctions, Western slides are still fetching a premium price, one going for £100 plus. It was very nice and a high quality slide but out of my price range.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Neil

Are you sure that's Westbury Neil..? Looks more like the old platform 4 (Down Main) at Reading.

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Gold

Are you sure that's Westbury Neil..? Looks more like the old platform 4 (Down Main) at Reading.

If that picture was taken at Westbury the loco would probably have still been moving.  The only Westbury location which makes sense with the loco stationary is the Up Salisbury Line platform but if the headcode is correct then it would be a down train.

This one won late last night, not the best quality slide, but very rare in my opinion. D1007 Western Talisman at (edit -Reading?) in her final livery of blue. Talisman of course ended her days in December 1973 in the West Ealing disaster, photos of her in blue are rare, I've only seen a few in the years I've been collecting.

Edit 1B73 is the 1430 Paddington-Paignton in 1972/3 which I suspect is when this was taken.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Neil

I empathise with your loss of hydraulic slides recently Neil.

I am the same. There seems to be a sudden increase of Western slides at the moment, which is probably due to the high prices paid for certain loco numbers.

My theory is that the super wealthy hydraulic purchasers are only interested in front 3/4 photos, and any that are 'going away' from the camera seem to be ignored.  My feeling is that any hydraulic photo is worth having, not just the "brag to all my poor lowly mates" version, and so I concentrate on ones such as this -

post-4474-0-09182700-1469643190_thumb.jpg

It may not be image of the century, but it is D1001 leaving Paddington sometime in the 1970s.

Edited to add, that cost me £3.99.

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 10

This also cost me £3.99, but I don't  believe Western Dragoon is leaving the station, but given the position of the driver, I think it is adding extra stock to a later W of E departure.

post-4474-0-98305500-1469644155_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

It's one of the four RSOs that had the same bodyshell as a Mark I SO and 48 fixed seats. So, they were basically an SO with different branding. They were originally on the Scottish Region - Sc1014-7 but some or all moved later to the WR.

I think these were re-graded as SO by the time of the photo. Are the bogies B4? Difficult to tell. If they are BR1, then I think it is RUO W1019 which when it was allocated to the SR lost it's CW bogies in the late 1960's.

Edited by mark54

I think these were re-graded as SO by the time of the photo. Are the bogies B4? Difficult to tell. If they are BR1, then I think it is RUO W1019 which when it was allocated to the SR lost it's CW bogies in the late 1960's.

Robert kindly sent an enlargement and they are B4 bogies, so definitely one of RSO W1014-7.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

SO I suspect I know the answer to this but here goes....

So is it a simple job of just changing the interior and branding to convert an SO to an RSO of this batch?

Cheers

Phil

SO I suspect I know the answer to this but here goes....

So is it a simple job of just changing the interior and branding to convert an SO to an RSO of this batch?

Cheers

Phil

Basically yes, although the roof vent positions were different.

• RMweb Gold

Another rarity picked up this morning, D7051 in small yellow panel livery with blue window surrounds. Only three Hymeks had this livery D7004 and D7007 were the others. I paid £3.71 for this, an absolute bargain considering it's such a hen's teeth livery, although being underexposed I suspect reduced the price . The details with the slide state it's taken at Keynsham, but I can't recognise where. It's possible but I didn't know the location so well in the late 1960s early 1970s, any help here appreciated.

post-6925-0-60480000-1470390079_thumb.jpeg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I reckon it is Keynsham - the Hymek is standing on the Down Sidings east of the station with the station footbridge visible to the west.  The Fry's connection - or course of what was left of it at that time - is just visible to the right of the Down Main Home Signal.  The Up Siding appears to have gone which dates the picture later than October 1969.

• RMweb Premium

I reckon it is Keynsham - the Hymek is standing on the Down Sidings east of the station with the station footbridge visible to the west.  The Fry's connection - or course of what was left of it at that time - is just visible to the right of the Down Main Home Signal.  The Up Siding appears to have gone which dates the picture later than October 1969.

And this must be before July 1970, when the Keynsham signal boxes were abolished

http://www.signallingnotices.org.uk/scans/55/1970%20-%20S%202659%20Bristol%20Stage%204.pdf

I think the Fry's connection remained in use well into the 70s.

• Like 1

Another rarity picked up this morning, D7051 in small yellow panel livery with blue window surrounds. Only three Hymeks had this livery D7004 and D7007 were the others. I paid £3.71 for this, an absolute bargain considering it's such a hen's teeth livery, although being underexposed I suspect reduced the price . The details with the slide state it's taken at Keynsham, but I can't recognise where. It's possible but I didn't know the location so well in the late 1960s early 1970s, any help here appreciated.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Neil

That certainly is a bargain at £3.71.

It restores my faith in bargains still being out there.