• RMweb Gold

Sorry Andy - old age creeping in!

Had an attack of Warship dyslexia the other day confusing my Steadfast and Sharpshooter and its contagious....! That lovely MFYE shot of D842 above is of course Royal Oak not Triumph....

Hee hee

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

The other lines that I can't see much evidence of 43s on is the N. Devon and N. Cornwall lines. I don't think they let them loose on many singled lines. ;)

Not completely unknown Andy - Profile of the Warships (OUP 1984) has photos of 844 at Ilfracombe in 1970 and 842 at Barnstaple in 1971, while Diesel Hydraulics in the West Country (Ian Allan 2000) shows D848 on a lovely rake of Bulleid stock on Meldon Viaduct in 1963. I wish I could remember what they sounded like, but I was only six when the last NBL Warship was withdrawn.......

David

Re #579 above

The 1971 - 1972 WTT shows 1C96 as follows

13:45 SO Penzance - Cardiff

Starts from Plymouth 16:15 until 25th September (and conveys G.U.V's Motor Cars 12t. June to 4th September)

Also 'Conveys Mails'

Also 'four whelled vehicles must not be conveyed onthis train'

I believe the return working (as shown above) was

5B96 20:55 SO Canton Sidings - Bristol.

Sadly, by 1971 the Saturday evening glint in my eye was not put there waiting for a Warship at Cardiff General (now I know - hindsight is a wonderful thing).

Brian R

• Like 2

I think it was an issue of timing as I have seen published pics of Warships with the odd MK2 in their rakes :)

Ditto Phill - and I still remember proudly identifying a maroon Stanier coach in a Warship-hauled northbound inter-regional at Dawlish in 1969 (when I was four), and the disappointment when my Dad told me it was one of the early Mark 2 FKs......just like the occasion a year later when I announced a major scoop after a spotting expedition to Midgham, when I convinced myself that I'd seen one of the D600 Warships pulling a freight round the curve towards Aldermaston. My disappointment on learning that they'd all been scrapped three years earlier, and I'd merely mis-identified one of Old Oak's run-of-the-mill NBL Type 2s was crushing. What I'd give today to be able to go back in time and watch that 22 trundle past again.......

David

• Like 3

How about this?

If that's genuine sound then I'm just putting a Western sound chip in my forthcoming Bacchy ones!

Phil

No. My memory of the Warships in those days, was that they lacked that low pitched 'tunefulness' of a Western as they accelerated away with a train.

They did sound similar, but less refined - if I can put it like that.

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold

No. My memory of the Warships in those days, was that they lacked that low pitched 'tunefulness' of a Western as they accelerated away with a train.

They did sound similar, but less refined - if I can put it like that.

Tongue firmly in cheek there Jonny! Would agree with your assessment....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Ditto Phill - and I still remember proudly identifying a maroon Stanier coach in a Warship-hauled northbound inter-regional at Dawlish in 1969 (when I was four), and the disappointment when my Dad told me it was one of the early Mark 2 FKs......just like the occasion a year later when I announced a major scoop after a spotting expedition to Midgham, when I convinced myself that I'd seen one of the D600 Warships pulling a freight round the curve towards Aldermaston. My disappointment on learning that they'd all been scrapped three years earlier, and I'd merely mis-identified one of Old Oak's run-of-the-mill NBL Type 2s was crushing. What I'd give today to be able to go back in time and watch that 22 trundle past again.......

David

My TARDIS moment concerns Exeter St Davids, when, in the week the recent batch of my b&w shots are dated, June 1970, I decided against a trip to Barnstaple and back behind a class 22 to continue spotting on the station.

Hindsight sometimes isn't a wonderful thing.

Mike.

• Like 1

To my fading memory, the class 22s sounded like a bag of spanners, but they made a wonderful noise when on full power. Although, I gathered that witnessing them on full power was something of a rarity because too long at that level and they caught fire.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To my fading memory, the class 22s sounded like a bag of spanners, but they made a wonderful noise when on full power. Although, I gathered that witnessing them on full power was something of a rarity because too long at that level and they caught fire.

I did actually travel behind one on one solitary occasion - Reading - Didcot and back including the Wallingford branch on a freight trip (and although I was actually being paid for being there I didn't have a  camera with me).

• RMweb Premium

I don`t have to tell you where i am with these 2 photos,

but it does look like they always stabled green 47`s at that buffer stop

(compare teddybears post 562)

Maybe it's No. 47 road and the depot staff misunderstood what that meant. :no:

But more relevant, does anyone know what the target (?) with the number 6 on it in front of the 47 in both photos meant?

But more relevant, does anyone know what the target (?) with the number 6 on it in front of the 47 in both photos meant?

I think it is fixed to the blocks not the loco, it must be indicating no.6 road

Here is a photo looking off the bridge the other way with 1071 standing outside the shed.

On the shed are similar signs indicating numbers 2, 4 and 5 roads. Road numbers 1, 3 and 6 are short single ended roads

https://www.flickr.com/photos/deadmans_handle/4367087606/in/photolist-7xtJkG-bEbUt3-dQqKb1-duXM4u-634je3-bp4JZZ-dD1Rf3-7DQDAP-d2PZ9m-5ZZK3g-fBYXBh-7DUtjy-7DQDmF-cKv9RQ-dborMs-mpcRpz-dYZnNg-7DUsZU-dm33TP-dwpPPY-j3Hjow-oS6c3t-bERBV6-oXTzeE-bEAyCr-cBazKC-j4CSkQ-j4CSfu-bx9xBe-brT9tj-qdotpT-by61Vx-cCTyH1-bwv46T-bw7dtt-cBazJs-ppPiKk-bjAy5S-j9VUE7-bENeBv-brT9tq-brTx6C-e3b2wB-6146SU-62Z7Qn-7LRkwr-d9Z97H-5ZZHfc-brzUei-brzV4n

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

It must be said again that its good to see photos others are sharing and some great reading nights to what I believe the most talked about British traction for the wrong reasons or right reasons the hydraulics had style and the westerns being the most handsome of all locomotives . Happy days and thank all for your work and information.

Richard.

• Like 5

The number 6 is the road number

Cheers Gareth

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521

D9518 at Cardiff General - I'd put money (but only a little) on it working from Newtown/Long Dyke to Llantrisant due to the (a) gunpowder vans, probably destined for the ICI stores at Brofiscin ( B) the hoppers returning from the 'Dowlais' aka  East Moors for either Llanharry or Creigiau © and the tank wagon, possibly for by-products from either Cwm or Coed Ely coke ovens. 

Very,very nice.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 2

D9518 at Cardiff - that is a cracking shot, possibly best lit D95xx shot ever seen!

Many thanks for sharing them all

Phil

I have to agree, and with all the 1960s detail in the background at Cardiff. Water cranes, old parcels trolleys, chocolate & cream station nameboards, etc., even a couple of structures from East Moors steelworks appear above the mineral hopper wagon.

Cardiff must have been a fascinating railway location in those days, and I regret not visiting earlier than I did; but the draw of the ever changing locos at Bath Road prevented me from buying a day return to S Wales while on my Bristol visits. What a short sighted decision that now seems to be.