Tonbridge West Yard

Lyddrail

One minor point, it's missing a lanky kid with a bike being hounded off the long footbridge by a very large Alsatian. (Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the incident as I was too busy panicking).

and the two "brookies" attacking me while I was on a school cross country run....

more importantly, what a great model

Just read through the thread... mostly looking at the fabulous pics on the first few pages (and the prototype shots too). I might come and badger you for some of these for the show guide!

Not long till Showcase... good luck with the track repairs Paul!

Guy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul

I can recall getting a straight red and I wasn't even part of the operating crew :cry:

From what I've heard, you don't even need to be in the same county to get a red card..............

Cheers,

Mick

I think Paul has periods of in-attention. I was shunting the yard when the layout was last in Blackburn. I was engrossed with fellow operator, and derailed a shunt through not watching what I was doing. I managed to avoid a card. I think he'd already used up his supply for the day!

I expect one will now arrive in the post.

• Like 1

Hi Paul.

Retired???

Can't believe it. I'm now in my 3rd year and it's fantastic.

TWY still looking good. Wish I could get to DEMU to see it again.

Remember it from years back but never thought it could be 25 years ago.

I remember Maidstone well. The first time I saw it, I couldn't believe someone else modelled EMUs and had a layout for them to run on.

Good to see you still modelling strongly.

Dave Smith

Hi Paul.

Retired???

Can't believe it. I'm now in my 3rd year and it's fantastic.

TWY still looking good. Wish I could get to DEMU to see it again.

Remember it from years back but never thought it could be 25 years ago.

I remember Maidstone well. The first time I saw it, I couldn't believe someone else modelled EMUs and had a layout for them to run on.

Good to see you still modelling strongly.

Dave Smith

Dave,

I must make it clear I took early retirement, 52 years young and I wanted to go.

There was not many of us EMU modellers back in the day Dave, we were a small band. Glad to hear you are enjoying retirement, it is suiting me so far.

Cheers.

not sure I have ever received a card from the lord and master. :angel:

now feeling left out

I suppose I will now get one for having him with me at Bristol and the layout is N gauge

thanks Steve

Steve,

You must be perfect! We will see at Bristol as I will have my cards with me.

Cheers.

Been busy, track relaid on mainlines and started test running. If all is ok will cut rails at join and paint rails, lay conductor rails, and then ballast.

post-1373-0-08334900-1428092449_thumb.jpg

Had the possession marker boards up today, red flashing lights to limit, yellow from work site. Roger Murrey made these years ago.

post-1373-0-44340900-1428092473_thumb.jpg

Putting stock on now for test running and visit from a few operators on Sunday to be repassed out on the layout.

Cheers.

• Like 15

Hello Paul

I have just had a thought why I've never had a card besides being Mr perfect.

Your cards are 4mm scale you need to be making half size ones for 2mm and larger ones for 7mm.

That way you can issue the right scale of card appropriately.

its a good job nobody reads this rubbish or they would think us all Mad.

layout is looking good. Good to see you still know which way up the track goes.

thanks Steve.

Ps Ernie have you any pics on the points we were on about at Ally Pally.

Edited by sf315

I have been making progress with repairs and refreshing. Relaid mainlines tested and rails painted, conductor rail refitted, just ballasting to complete.

post-1373-0-16572500-1428749703_thumb.jpg

Returned upgraded grounded wagon bodies to the layout.

Jack store below.

post-1373-0-68492400-1428749790_thumb.jpg

Sand store with scrap metal Weltrol infront.

post-1373-0-64980900-1428749854_thumb.jpg

Undertook test running on the layout last Sunday with a few friends. Overall ran well, faults identified have already been repaired. Further testing will follow, not all stock was on the layout to check. There were a lot of class 66s run that my friends insisted on running some of which didn't like the conductor rail!

I should be starting the additional old C&W staff building this weekend.

Cheers.

• Like 11

I forgot to mention I had sanded down the backscenes and repainted them blue. I intend to add prototype images to the backscenes but will not have time before Showcase for this.

I have also been surprised what details I had missed from the model, e.g. dummy point motors on three points, points heating transformers on two points etc. Much more detail is required in the area between the signal box and backscene including some trough routes, relay cabinets, points heating transformers etc. where the mainline to Hildenborough is just off scene. I have prepared these but are awaiting weathering before installing them. See pic below. Some of the point motors are to be changed to the Unit Models version which was not available before but are the correct type.

post-1373-0-16867000-1428759984_thumb.jpg

There are other small details I can add elsewhere like the C&W areas which should follow.

Cheers.

Edited by Lyddrail
  • Like 11

I forgot to mention I had sanded down the backscenes and repainted them blue. I intend to add prototype images to the backscenes but will not have time before Showcase for this.

I have also been surprised what details I had missed from the model, e.g. dummy point motors on three points, points heating transformers on two points etc. Much more detail is required in the area between the signal box and backscene including some trough routes, relay cabinets, points heating transformers etc. where the mainline to Hildenborough is just off scene. I have prepared these but are awaiting weathering before installing them. See pic below. Some of the point motors are to be changed to the Unit Models version which was not available before but are the correct type.

attachicon.gifVarious details.jpg

There are other small details I can add elsewhere like the C&W areas which should follow.

Cheers.

A little souvenir of 'Smasher' is evident in front of the pallets by the look of it...

Hi can you give me a run down of where the above items are from ? Are they custom built ?

Anthony

Anthony,

Items are as follows:

Point motors - multi section type (8 in pic) are Unit Models part 00-050.

Point Motors - flat top (4 in pic) are Colin Craig WB&S type 63 part CC22T. He also does an excellent HW2000 point motor part CC21T for more modern times.

Relay Cabinets - Knightwing metal castings, cable box on one was scratched from Evergreen strip, forth cabinet along has had different doors added with plasticard to represent a Telecoms type.

Clamp Lock Boxes or whatever they are (fit one end of Unit Models type) - dome shaped grey (11 in pic) are sratched from Evergreen strips.

45 Gallon drums - Ten Commandments item W63 (10).

Trough sections - Jim Smith-Wright brass etchings.

Step Ladder - cast meta,l I think from S Kits.

Jacks, tool box, & sledge hammer - Modern AFV Collection A-33 tool set (includes much more).

Oil Cans medium - Yellow with black & warning signs (4 in pic) Modern AFV A-16 assorted cans including jerry cans.

Gas bottles black - Gem and S Kits.

Cas bottles red - S kits.

Oil cans silver narrow tops - Preiser Art.Nr.17100 cargo assorted cans drums, crates, etc. 

Pallets - Ratio.

Points Heater transformers - two pairs on bases in corner top right of pic, scratched out of Evergreen section, slope top lid and peaked top lid types.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Ah!

But once you violently lowered the offending juice rail they ran very well I thought !! :)

MC

Meld,

You are correct, or was the rail that high for a reason?

Hope you don't mind me adding a couple of pics?

post-1373-0-26893900-1428836577_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-92662000-1428836603_thumb.jpg

There must have been a lot of engineering work for all these bluebirds to gather in TWY?

Cheers.

• Like 9

A little souvenir of 'Smasher' is evident in front of the pallets by the look of it...

Brian,

You are right but it wasn't intended, I thought the sledge hammer would look good on the side running board of the hand crane. However, it will be added with extra meaning now.

Thanks.