Tonbridge West Yard

Lyddrail

Hello Paul,

Great to see you back up and running, so to speak! Tonbridge was always considered by all as one of the 'big' layouts of the D+E era. We also retired Runswick Leamside in 2009 and she is now residing in Crewe.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that shot of 467, being one of the first ViTrains 47's I did for Mike. I will look forward to seeing you and the layout at one of the shows, hopefully DEMU, in the near future.

cheers

Andy

• RMweb Gold

This layout has almost as many come backs as Status Quo.........

Cheers,

Mick

Hi there.

Here we are and here we are and here we go.......... :D

Nothing wrong with status Quo mate........ :sungum: 

Although I will admit that Ricks' strat could do with a respray :drag:

Regards Lez.Z.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again for the comments.

Terry, I would be grateful to be away from the door!

Grampus Paul, you reminded me I was contemporary all thoses years ago, but I couldn't keep up.

A few more pictures from Worthing.

47467 at the Redhill end groundframe.

attachicon.gif47467 at Redhill End groundframe.jpg

Sea Urchins in the Redhill end South headshunt.

attachicon.gifSea Urchins in Redhill End headshunt.jpg

Jubilee sidings with train tanking pump hut and water tank.

attachicon.gifJubilee with pump hut & tank.jpg

View from the footbidge.

attachicon.gifView from footbridge.jpg

33202 with sleepers recovery train leaving the yard.

attachicon.gif33202 with Sleepers recovery train.jpg

I will post some prototype pictures from the period of the layout when I get a chance.

Cheers.

Paul,

I can only echo the others who have welcomed your return (and the layout) to the exhibition circuit.

I think that many will be glad that you have not kept up with change. Much more interesting selection of trains at Tonbridge back then.

Paul,

Im so pleased to see this layout back out and about.  i first came across it while living in Barrow in Furness when it came to the local exhibition.  It was this layout that awakened an interest in southern units.

Im am currently in the process of designing and constructing an N gauge layout based on a Tonbridge.

Carl

Had a chance to visit Paul and have a good look at TWY which is in amazingly good nick considering. Know he has plans for modest scenery tweaks, as he pointed out materials and methods have moved on in 25 years. At DEMU the layout's going to be older than some of the adult visitors and I'm shall be interested in peoples reaction when told some of the units are MTK.

Stu

Mick, You can't have too many come backs, did I say "Never say Never"?

50042, nice prototype pics, what is in that Tench wagon? Interesting.Keep them coming please.

Big Andy, I thought that 47 was too good to be Mike's, you did a very good job. Mike has kept me up dated with Runswick.

Joseph, I agree my period had much more of interest than the more recent past. I think I will always be stuck in this period.

Carlw, your N gauge Tonbridge sounds very interesting. I would like to hear more and I have lots of info on the location including scale plans etc if you need anything. 

st315, behave, you know Tattenham Corner was a past wish, long ago passed by events. Of course you are part of the band.

bigP, I had already been using the "getting the band back together" term after Warley two years ago when many of the TWY team were on three layouts in one block. That did give me the wish to get on the road again!

Thanks for all the nice comments. These are firing me up to keep working.

Cheers.

• Like 4

I promised to put some prototype pics on here. These from 1993.

56031 allocated for NSE civils trains.

post-1373-0-44765000-1422478255_thumb.jpg

Another 56 in the yard, 56052.

post-1373-0-79234000-1422478356_thumb.jpg

Some ED action with 73129 & 73119.

post-1373-0-29213700-1422478285_thumb.jpg

The Jubilee with BR/SR EPB 5261.

post-1373-0-07297800-1422478327_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Edited by Lyddrail
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

That final shot seems to show the juice rail on the Redhill line lying in the 6' way awaiting installation. ISTR one of the freight businesses paid for the line to be electrified, but never had the chance to use the facility to the full, not least due to pathing issues north of Redhill.

• RMweb Premium

Good to see Tonbridge West Yard coming back out of retirement - ISTR seeing at a show in St Albans around '93ish (rail magazine show?). Any chance of Maidstone Barracks making a comeback?

Steve

That may have been the show when New Bryford was back to back with TWY[1]. I believe Paul borrowed a proper engine [2] to run on his VSOE Pullman set...........

Cheers,

Mick

[1] NB's comeback was three years ago.

[2] It was large, green and had a chimney!

Good to see Tonbridge West Yard coming back out of retirement - ISTR seeing at a show in St Albans around '93ish (rail magazine show?). Any chance of Maidstone Barracks making a comeback?

Steve

I remember that show, I had got married about 12 or so months previously and that was the first show my darling wife had let me go to since our wedding, correct me if I'm wrong Paul, but, didn't Rod Stewart pay the show a visit that year?

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I remember that show, I had got married about 12 or so months previously and that was the first show my darling wife had let me go to since our wedding, correct me if I'm wrong Paul, but, didn't Rod Stewart pay the show a visit that year?

Ian

Hi Ian

I was operating Pengwynn Crossing when your mate Mike Fraser elbowed me in the side, "Did you see who was watching you operate, and it was Rod Stewart". I looked up as he walked away. I recon he owes me a fiver. Well I had to pay that much to see him when he was in the Faces. Why shouldn't he pay me for entertaining him?

Second time Mike has been mentioned in this thread.

• Like 1

Oldddudders, you are right the con rail was there ready to go up. It was in 1993 that the track was relaid and layout altered with the new signalling coming in. I managed to get a record of much of this.

Mick, that was not the last steam engine to haul the VSOE, some modellers swing both ways, not me of course!

Ian & Clive, I do remember Rod but couldn't be sure which show it was, you both must be right.

As Steve well knows the last remaining board from Maidstone Barracks will be used on one of my next layouts, a small one for a change. It should be the next layout too, but getting TWY ready will delay that a bit longer. Regards Maidstone Barracks I do have ALL the buildings and much of the scenic items tucked away if I ever need them.

Cheers.