Tonbridge West Yard

Lyddrail

Well the C&W building is almost finished, just roof texture, water colour weathering where needed and fit interior odds and ends. Photos have shown a little tidying up needed too.

post-1373-0-55368800-1430253527_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-89289800-1430253552_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-49008400-1430253574_thumb.jpg

I have moved on to detailing the area infront of the signal box, with hundreds of photos supplied to me that I didn't have when I built the layout allowing missing details to be added or correctly positioned. Piles of sleepers, scrap and other materials being painted. Fitting the C&W building into the remodelled scenery will follow.

Cheers.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic work on the C&W building and the grounded vans!

I remember seeing the layout many years ago, but can't recall where!

Would be great to see again, but can't get to DEMU this year as will be exhibiting in Exeter that weekend.

Inspirational stuff!

Much progress has been made with scenic changes and adding additional detail. However, I have had to draw the line as Showcase is fast approaching.

New C&W building now completed and being fitted into the scene.

post-1373-0-17621900-1431549203_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-09089500-1431549231_thumb.jpg

Still more ground work to do but it is getting there. I am pleased the way it is turning out and I am taking the time to make it look like the prototype.

A big change has been the area beside the signal box, which is close to being complete. I will post some pics once done.

Cheers.

• Like 14

I like the last sentence.  I don't think there is enough 'strategic placing (of) Cromptons' to improve the view    :mosking:

I seem to remember Phil placing certain locos to good effect. I will have to watch my recording of the programme to see how it looked.

Cheers.

Is that a rake of ARC PGAs I can spy in the background of the last shot? Looking forward to watching these with a pair of Cromptons on the front (one in blue, one in aggregate).

Now something like the following scene would be perfect Paul:

8392308618_2065d8fc17_b.jpg

Image courtesy of Stephen.

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 11

Is that a rake of ARC PGAs I can spy in the background of the last shot? Looking forward to watching these with a pair of Cromptons on the front (one in blue, one in aggregate).

Now something like the following scene would be perfect Paul:

Yes, the Allington stone train is a feature of the layout. Usually hauled by a class 59 but when I am not looking other locos can appear.

Scenic work is almost complete on the layout, then stock repairs and servicing will follow. I hope to post a few pics when the changes are complete.

Cheers.

Well, I have run out of certain scenic materials, so this is just about as far as I can get for Showcase next weekend.

I spent a lot of time completing the area beside the Signal Box which I had not noticed was so empty. Yes, I tried to get the piles of sleepers etc as accurate as the photos showed them.

post-1373-0-08579600-1432498553_thumb.jpg

I changed all the dummy point motors to the version below (from Unit Models) that was correct for my period (but not available 25 years ago when I built the layout).

The field Redhill end of the layout has been re-scattered with round bales of cut grass provided as photos showed one year.

post-1373-0-06718100-1432498693_thumb.jpg

The former field at the Tonbridge end of the layout has been covered with sand scatter as this will be the site of flats. I started building the flats before I stopped exhibiting, these will be completed next year.

post-1373-0-63781900-1432498948_thumb.jpg

The old C&W lobby has been fitted on site with the ground altered to suit. I am happy how it has turned out. My first flowers on a layout too, it is amazing what can be brought now days.

post-1373-0-49112100-1432498998_thumb.jpg

Yes every trough lid was hand cut from strip and glued in position individually!

post-1373-0-70672600-1432499107_thumb.jpg

The grounded wagon bodies fit nicely on the bank.

post-1373-0-85470500-1432499225_thumb.jpg

I installed a concrete wall with fence above, and added the gates beside the ex CCT timber store.

post-1373-0-77990600-1432499440_thumb.jpg

Last scenic job I can do for Showcase is detail the rail hand crane using Jon Halls etchings and cast weight. This will be started Monday.

Thanks  for past comments on my work, hope to see some of you next weekend.

Cheers.

post-1373-0-36818300-1432498663_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lyddrail
  • Like 19

Hi Paul,

The layout is looking superb, it did back in the day when I first saw it but now with the new and extra detail it's looking even better. No doubt it will be running better too as the Heljan Cromptons run better than those Lima loco's ever did. Hope the DEMU show goes well, hopefully some pics of the layout with some stock on it can be posted on the thread.

Cheers Peter.

Hello

Really, really great modelling, can't wait to see it at Burton as I was far too young to see it when it was around originally. Inspirational.

Cheers

An avid fan