Tonbridge West Yard

Lyddrail

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

I hope Mike running his HST a few months ago will have put paid to a running at Showcase, we will see.

Cheers.

Oh no not that HST :fie: :fie: :fie:

That must be 30 if not 40 odd years old by now, I can remember him running it when the Witham club met in the cellar, and we ain't been there for nearly 30 years. One track for the HST and one for all the other club members stock. :umbrage:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Meld,

You are correct, or was the rail that high for a reason?

Hope you don't mind me adding a couple of pics?

attachicon.gifEDs_&_Bluebirds_2a.jpg

attachicon.gifEDs_&_Bluebirds_3a.jpg

There must have been a lot of engineering work for all these bluebirds to gather in TWY?

Cheers.

With the locos all parked that close together, have you gone DCC?

:O

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

That's an interesting new addition to the layout in this picture! More new building from the real world

Carl,

Well spotted. I built this plus another of the blocks of flats many years ago but never completed them or located them on the layout. I can fit the single block nicely in that corner, but I will not have time to completed this for Showcase, but I would try for the next exhibition.

Cheers.

With the locos all parked that close together, have you gone DCC?

:O

Cheers,

Mick

Mick,

Due to good design there are many sections in the old fashioned DC form here, plus many of the locos were just running in multiple.

You know I can't understand all the DCC thingy and it's toy like features!

Cheers.

• Like 1

I hope to post pictures of recent progress in the next few days. Relaid tracks have been ballasted (it has been 20 years plus since I did any ballasting!), some scenic repairs have been done, other small items have been made and painted awaiting fitting.

I designed the old C&W accommodation building and produced plans, and today did much of the construction, four walls with cut out windows and doors, floor fitted, should complete ready for painting tommorrow. See picture of prototype:

post-1373-0-43701000-1429471871_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 7

Well the building took a lot longer than I expected, but I am happy with how it turned out. Constuction finished this morning and started painting this afternonon before moving on to gardening.

Old C&W lobby with doors posed before painting.

post-1373-0-73030700-1429732726_thumb.jpg

Close up of workshop end of building.

post-1373-0-80487600-1429732782_thumb.jpg

A few interior items ready to paint. The building was out of use with little remaining, this is a guess of what could have been left.

post-1373-0-76697200-1429732834_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 5

Oh no not that HST :fie: :fie: :fie:

That must be 30 if not 40 odd years old by now, I can remember him running it when the Witham club met in the cellar, and we ain't been there for nearly 30 years. One track for the HST and one for all the other club members stock. :umbrage:

To be fair though, he has got a new Hornby power car at each end now - how old what's in between is anyone's guess however..........

cheers

Andy

• RMweb Premium

To be fair though, he has got a new Hornby power car at each end now - how old what's in between is anyone's guess however..........

cheers

Andy

HI Andy

Is the bit in between still the Joueff Mk3s?

Mike's HST fromed part of our conversation on Monday night at the club, he has changed so many things in its life time it's a bit like Triggers broom. :yes:

• RMweb Premium

Incredible building Paul!

Loving those fine window frames and wood panelling as well, reminds me of the horrible 60s/70s 'temporary' classrooms I used to spend my early schooldays in! Can't wait to see the layout again at Showcase!

Paul,

Nice building, you've discovered your true vocation..

I like the Naff Gas Heaters you've modelled.  They were so BR.

In the 80's I had a turn one night with a ballast from Ashford to Tonbridge, got relief, 4 hours doing nothing, then relieve and work back to Ashford.  Trying to do what any good railwayman would do; sleep, I retired to a quiet room in the west yard.  Would the heater work, would it f**k.....  Luckily a layer of weekly notices provided an insulating layer on the table that became a bed.  I managed a couple of hours kip on a cold december night.

Non railwaymen will have no idea what I'm on about.

If there was a test to see who was a true railwayman, I'd show them four dining chairs and ask what they'd make.  A true railwayman would line them up and be asleep before you could say 'Bob Reid'.......

• Like 4

Really great to see this iconic layout back and running again, Andy and l saw it many times at various shows and l have to say it really got us into serious modelling of the modern scene,   cracking building really looks the bizz, the thing l like about DCC is you need no dead sections and the lights stay on, l can't imagine how many dead sections you have on the layout ?...

HI Andy

Is the bit in between still the Joueff Mk3s?

Mike's HST fromed part of our conversation on Monday night at the club, he has changed so many things in its life time it's a bit like Triggers broom. :yes:

Hi Clive,

No I thnk they are all now Lima MK3's he uses. but from what vintage I have no idea...........

cheers

Andy

Paul,

Nice building, you've discovered your true vocation..

I like the Naff Gas Heaters you've modelled.  They were so BR.

In the 80's I had a turn one night with a ballast from Ashford to Tonbridge, got relief, 4 hours doing nothing, then relieve and work back to Ashford.  Trying to do what any good railwayman would do; sleep, I retired to a quiet room in the west yard.  Would the heater work, would it f**k.....  Luckily a layer of weekly notices provided an insulating layer on the table that became a bed.  I managed a couple of hours kip on a cold december night.

Non railwaymen will have no idea what I'm on about.

If there was a test to see who was a true railwayman, I'd show them four dining chairs and ask what they'd make.  A true railwayman would line them up and be asleep before you could say 'Bob Reid'.......

Ernie,

I only got into sleeping at work after I went to infrastructure and you could sleep before the possession was finally set up! Before that on rolling stock I got to sleep on the night shift after fuelling and servicing DEMUs as they berthed in Tun Wells West from the Central section every night.

Happy times.

Thanks for the nice comments re the new building. This is the second building on the layout that I didn't measure, the signal box is the other which I had to alter a lot to fit the narrow space I had.

For the C&W building I took measurements from the Shunters Lobby (Ton end) as it is the same modular type but not as tall. With some guesses (plus measuring the photos I had) it seems ok but the doors may be a little too tall, I had to remove one window length of the building to ensure it would fit.

I started preparing the groundworks yesterday, more to be removed from the raised ground to take the grounded wagon bodies next to the building. See below.

post-1373-0-14310400-1429867320_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-80419900-1429867341_thumb.jpg

The mainlines have been completed now, Down line with the same ballast I used 25 years ago which matches very well, and newer on the UP to look like a relaid section that I have prototype photos of before the remodelling in 1993.

post-1373-0-47803700-1429867366_thumb.jpg

Back to painting the building today.

Cheers.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Ernie,

I only got into sleeping at work after I went to infrastructure and you could sleep before the possession was finally set up! Before that on rolling stock I got to sleep on the night shift after fuelling and servicing DEMUs as they berthed in Tun Wells West from the Central section every night.

Happy times.

Ah those days back in the 80's!!

I remember visting the West station quite a bit before closure.

post-1557-0-16524100-1429869837_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Ernie,

Happy times.

Sleeping at work, would never happen in a signalbox, we study the rule book on nights!

Ian

Ah those days back in the 80's!!

I remember visting the West station quite a bit before closure.

Roundhouse,

I think I only took photos twice while I worked at TWW. What was I thinking? I was then young and had to borrow my father's camera.

I like your pic,  the classic view from the road bridge. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.

Edited by Lyddrail