Tonbridge West Yard

Lyddrail

I managed to complete the new details painting and weathering.

post-1373-0-56305000-1440961249_thumb.jpg

I am not sure what the lifting device to the right front was used for. The damaged NSE door is awaiting touching up and varnishing, but I like how it looks.

post-1373-0-96211900-1440961417_thumb.jpg

I should have most of these items planted on the layout tomorrow.

Cheers.

• Like 11

I managed to complete the new details painting and weathering.

attachicon.gifPainted items 1.jpg

I am not sure what the lifting device to the right front was used for. The damaged NSE door is awaiting touching up and varnishing, but I like how it looks.

attachicon.gifPainted items 2.jpg

I should have most of these items planted on the layout tomorrow.

Cheers.

Lovely detail Paul

The lifting jack looks a bit like one we had in Ramsgate shed, which the M&E guys used for lifting oil drums. Maybe it was for that?

Mike & Ernie, thanks for your suggestions, that does make sense. There was the sack barrow type lifting device I made in the previous batch of details too.

I don't know why there were usually so many diesel drums in the yard as well as the C&W area, I guess they sometimes fuelled locomotives although I never did in the 1980s when I was one of the area fitters. Might have made sense to fill the shunters due to their slow speed.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Mike & Ernie, thanks for your suggestions, that does make sense. There was the sack barrow type lifting device I made in the previous batch of details too.

I don't know why there were usually so many diesel drums in the yard as well as the C&W area, I guess they sometimes fuelled locomotives although I never did in the 1980s when I was one of the area fitters. Might have made sense to fill the shunters due to their slow speed.

Cheers.

As I recall when I was an Engineering Traffic Supervisor on the SED for a few years in the early '80's (as weekend overtime when I was a Grade D), the drums were often taken to site on engineering works, to fuel up off-track machinery, such as dozers and JCB-type diggers, which often had next to nothing in the tank. They would be placed at the end of a flat wagon (ex OBA or similar) and a hand pump was screwed into the top to fill 5 gallon drums. This made sure that the plant operators didn't have that excuse to go down the pub.....I was never at the depot when the drums were loaded (usually at Tonbridge or at Hither Green), so I don't know if that bit of kit is what they used. I know the one at Ramsgate was used for lifting drums into the De-Icing/Weedkilling unit outside the shed. It would have been too long to turn within the narrow walkways inside the shed, end on, to lift springs etc. I don't know what they used for that. But I guess the space between tracks at Tonbridge would have allowed that, if that is what you have modelled.

As I recall when I was an Engineering Traffic Supervisor on the SED for a few years in the early '80's (as weekend overtime when I was a Grade D), the drums were often taken to site on engineering works, to fuel up off-track machinery, such as dozers and JCB-type diggers, which often had next to nothing in the tank. They would be placed at the end of a flat wagon (ex OBA or similar) and a hand pump was screwed into the top to fill 5 gallon drums. This made sure that the plant operators didn't have that excuse to go down the pub.....I was never at the depot when the drums were loaded (usually at Tonbridge or at Hither Green), so I don't know if that bit of kit is what they used. I know the one at Ramsgate was used for lifting drums into the De-Icing/Weedkilling unit outside the shed. It would have been too long to turn within the narrow walkways inside the shed, end on, to lift springs etc. I don't know what they used for that. But I guess the space between tracks at Tonbridge would have allowed that, if that is what you have modelled.

Mike, that makes sense, I didn't think of engineers trains.

Thanks.

Amazing layout,the detail is unreal!

What did you use for the telegraph wires?

Is it black cotton thread?

Cheers

Ben

Ben, yes it was cotton thread. Since these were done about 26 years ago there have been recommendations for special non stringy threads, but I can't remember the trade name.

Cheers.

Hi,

Sorry if I've this has already been mentioned and I've missed it (most likely), but was wondering if you had any plans for TWY to go out on the road again?  Sadly I couldn't make DEMU this year.

Paul,

Current confirmed shows are The Great Electric Train Show Gaydon 10th & 11th Oct 2015, Erith (Longfield) 30th & 31st Jan 2016, Midland Railex Butterley 13th & 14th Aug 2016, Stafford Jan/Feb 2017 & Barrow-in-Furness Oct 2017. Likely to be another show each in 2016 and 2017 once finalised.

Cheers.

• Like 3

Paul,

Current confirmed shows are The Great Electric Train Show Gaydon 10th & 11th Oct 2015, Erith (Longfield) 30th & 31st Jan 2016, Midland Railex Butterley 13th & 14th Aug 2016, Stafford Jan/Feb 2017 & Barrow-in-Furness Oct 2017. Likely to be another show each in 2016 and 2017 once finalised.

Cheers.

Fantastic news that you'l be attending Erith/ Longfield in 2016, Only five minutes down the road from me to see a very inspirational layout! 

Graham.

All new bits now fitted, just a session of static grass and final greenwork to be ready for next show.

Pictures of items below.

Air hose from Plant hut (site of fixed compressor), and stack of drums.

post-1373-0-97153600-1441383815_thumb.jpg

Long air hose between C&W tracks, NSE door leaning on CCT timber store.

post-1373-0-01727000-1441383909_thumb.jpg

Another hose plus oil drum stand made from wire.

post-1373-0-96763600-1441384022_thumb.jpg

More pics to follow.

Cheers.

• Like 12

Fantastic details !

The hoses look great ! How are these done ?

The hoses are fuse wire 30A bent to shape and where in a coil glued together with impact adheasive at a few points. They were primed with grey car primer and painted a yellow colour, finally weathered with watercolour. They were stuck to the surface with PVA.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Second batch of pics.

Below another air hose from a feed pipe at the buffer stop, where there is a second drum on stand.

post-1373-0-24018700-1441391406_thumb.jpg

The vac cylinder rack behind the tool huts, roller and other plant.

post-1373-0-37784100-1441391489_thumb.jpg

The redundant C&W lobby with trees added behind, plus bins on the patio and drums in the path.

post-1373-0-78438700-1441391623_thumb.jpg

Another view of the bins.

post-1373-0-64320200-1441391714_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 11

Last pics for now.

The replacement column reinstalled by the Jubilee sidings.

post-1373-0-20975100-1441391925_thumb.jpg

The old cabinets dumped outside the pump & staff hut. Scene different from prtotype photo earlier posted due to width of layout compressed.

post-1373-0-32912400-1441391984_thumb.jpg

The telephone hut (really the Jubilee shunters hut) now has a phone fitted.

post-1373-0-31895200-1441392091_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 11

Thanks for the kind comments chaps. Regards "a case of seeing the railway from inside the fence!" from Colin, this is what I tried to do with my photographs using my compact camera. I have copied some views I had taken of the prototype which is very staisfying. Of course I have modelled real features over the period of about 4 years of prototype photographs to blend the final modelled scene.

Cheers.

• Like 2