Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

Glad to hear that, Jock. My eldest son was absolutely mad keen on model railways until he reached his 'teens' then lost interest. After university he got a job near London, two hundred odd miles away. His interest in railways never returned although when he comes to visit he usually has a look at what I am doing.

My youngest son, again, keen on railways when young lost some of his enthusiasm in his teen years, but now, having a son of his own, has taken an interest again and is building an '0' gauge layout. This of course is what the 2F and the interlaced point are for.

My daughter was never interested in 'trains' but her two girls when very young used to love to play with grandad's train set.

Incidentally if anyone is tempted to have a go at an '0' gauge loco kit, I can recommend Mercian Models. I have no connection whatever with them except found them very helpful. My youngest son bought a kit for a Midland 1F 0-6-0T for me to build for his little boy. Having never touched 7 mm before I contacted Mercian Models for advice. They kindly sent me some spare etches to "practise" on. The loco went together beautifully and I was more than pleased with it. They do a number of kits of various railways, so you do not have to be a Midland man/woman, so to speak.

Derek

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hello Steve, I don't know but I got our 2F kit from Four Track Models about seven years ago. The owner was as far as I know, just on retirement. So I have no idea what happened after that. I wonder if t-b-g knows anything.

Derek

Hello Derek,

As far as I know the 4mm George Norton kits all went to London Road Models. Originally they were all designed for 4mm but various ones were shot up to 7mm and down to 3mm (and possibly 2mm too, although I haven't seen any to confirm).

I have a gap in my knowledge as to what happened to the 7mm ones and where they ended up. I don't think that John Redrup has them any more and I don't know if they all ended up in the same place of different people took them on. I have seen the Gladiator 7mm kit for a J6 and that certainly looks like Malcolm's design work but I think that some of the Midland ones went to Four Track.

Sorry to not be able to be more precise but that is as much as I know.

Regards

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Hi Derek, as usual more great modelling. This is probably my favourite thread on RMWeb at the moment.

I'm sporadically working on a MR 700 class 4-4-0 in 2mm scale which I'm pretty sure is from a shot down George Norton kit. The intention is to finish it as an oil burner, something I've rarely seen modelled.

post-1074-0-92623700-1446594628_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-90574100-1446594680_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 9

Jerry, what an interesting project. I never thought about modelling an oil burning engine. Having said that, if I stick to my chosen period, it would not have fit in. I like the look of that tender though, all in 2mm. Wow!!

Simon, teasing about interest in 'other' railway companies is fun. My great mate for forty odd years was a NER/LNER enthusiast through and through. We ragged each other pretty often, especially when he was operating my layout and made a booby. My comment was "North Eastern drivers !!" To which he would reply "Midland rubbish". Paul (Worsdell Forever) and I have a go at each other too, we belong to the same club.. All good fun.

The truth is I like small locomotives and most of the old companies used them, so I could so easily have been keen on modelling any of them, and I have built a fair few NER engines, but I must admit to a liking for the North Staffordshire Railway.

Derek

• Like 1

Today I have had a break from working on projects and instead did some operating.  To show I am not biased, well not entirely, anyway, I ran the NER stopping goods.  Starting off from Leyburn Junction it finally arrived at Grassington where it took the Grassington Curve from Crook Rise Junction on the line to Hanlith Junction.  This line forms the northern side of a triangle.  The other sides are Hanlith to Rylestone South Junction, then up the main Skipton to Leyburn line from Rylestone South to Crook Rise.  This triangle is used by locomotives too big to be accommodated on the turn table at Kirkby Malham., engines such as the Johnson Compound and the 700 class, both of which sport bogie "watercart" tenders.

So the North Eastern goods, hauled by a class P2 (later LNER class J26) arrives at Kirkby Malham, runs round and draws the wagons over the single slip into the yard, where, when the pics were taken, shunting was in progress.

I must, at this stage, apologise most humbly to the people in Airton, Winterburn, Kirkby Malham and Malham for putting a nasty, smelly dirty railway in their midst, when they might have been quite happy to stick with a daily stage coach with regular appearance of his Lordships motor car, his pride and joy,  after all we are in modern times of the year nineteen hundred and eight.

Derek

post-6110-0-65327400-1446762073_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-77668200-1446762104_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-44797100-1446762142_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 13

Dear Derek,

That is a fine model, I'm sure! Unfortunately I'm one of those who finds the NE cab design rather less than "pretty", sorry!

They must have been great for the crews, giving plenty of protection and decent visibility but to me, they look like they belong to a garden shed!

I far prefer the look of a Midland or even better, a Great Northern cab!

Cheers,

John E.

Thank you John and Jock. Actually I agree with you, the Midland cabs looked so elegant but I'll bet they were cold and draughty places especially in winter. Someone once told me the North Eastern cabs were copied off the American locks. I don't know enough to agree or not.

I must do something about the bit of 2 X1 holding up the houses along the rear.

The running of the layout is improving but nowhere near what I want it to be. However when the P2 started from the fiddle yard, I stopped it to add the brake, then found the thing would not work. I must have spent twenty minutes looking for the cause, thinking I was going to have to look again at the wiring. It turned out that I had set the controller on the centre off. I use old H & M Walkabouts and the "reversing" switch is a three way affair with centre off. Doh!! I really am beginning to think I am on the slippery road.

Derek

If they didn't have a commodious cab there would be nowhere for the crew to store their tabs and and a couple of crates of Newky.  Judging by Newcastle town centre, NE enginemen would have been shirt off and leaning out of a Midland cab during a blizzard.  

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Hello Derek,

As far as I know the 4mm George Norton kits all went to London Road Models. Originally they were all designed for 4mm but various ones were shot up to 7mm and down to 3mm (and possibly 2mm too, although I haven't seen any to confirm).

I have a gap in my knowledge as to what happened to the 7mm ones and where they ended up. I don't think that John Redrup has them any more and I don't know if they all ended up in the same place of different people took them on. I have seen the Gladiator 7mm kit for a J6 and that certainly looks like Malcolm's design work but I think that some of the Midland ones went to Four Track.

Sorry to not be able to be more precise but that is as much as I know.

Regards

Tony

Thank you Tony, it would be a great shame if the kits like this were lost. Our 2F was apparently the last one available as the proprietor was retiring. Wonder who has got them now?

Derek

Thank you John and Jock. Actually I agree with you, the Midland cabs looked so elegant but I'll bet they were cold and draughty places especially in winter. Someone once told me the North Eastern cabs were copied off the American locks. I don't know enough to agree or not.

I must do something about the bit of 2 X1 holding up the houses along the rear.

The running of the layout is improving but nowhere near what I want it to be. However when the P2 started from the fiddle yard, I stopped it to add the brake, then found the thing would not work. I must have spent twenty minutes looking for the cause, thinking I was going to have to look again at the wiring. It turned out that I had set the controller on the centre off. I use old H & M Walkabouts and the "reversing" switch is a three way affair with centre off. Doh!! I really am beginning to think I am on the slippery road.

Derek

Derek,

As I've probably mentioned before, I spent a lot of time on the footplate on the old G&SWR region lines where my dad was a driver from pre-war and through to the start of the sixties. Based first at Dumfries where he was elevated to driver as hostilities began (a reserved occupation!), and then Hurlford in Ayrshire. We had a lot of the 2P class 4-4-0 locos with the midland type cab, as well as 2-6-0 'Crabs' and a tarpaulin was often called for in inclement weather. When the 'Standard' tanks, and the 'Standard' 2-6-0s appeared, the cab comfort was a revelation - the footplate being fairly well enclosed on the new machines meant you stayed warm in all weathers! Definitely not as pretty mind you. I had a soft spot for the cab shape of the ex-Caledonian 'Jumbos' that were stabled at Hurlford, although crew comfort hadn't been high on the designers list of priorities! Apologies for straying off topic!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

The Lanky cabs were pretty well roofless, which was daft considering the L&Y terrain,  but a tarpaulin sorted that unless a crease suddenly dropped a pint of accumulated rain water down yer back. That said, a luxury flat would not have improved Austerity 2-8-0 creature comforts and the enclosed cabs of large tanks simply got too hot at times. Design-wise, a cut-out was better for viewing the road ahead than leaning out 'twixt cab and tender or out of a small window.

Edited by coachmann

Story goes that sometime mid 19th century a driver was injured by some boys dropping stones on the engine from a bridge. Kirtley tried some cabs with bigger roofs supported by pillars. The pillars worked loose and the resultant vibration noise sent the engine mem mad. So it seems they asked for their old roofs back and they would dodge the bricks.

Derek

• Like 1

Today I have had a break from working on projects and instead did some operating.  To show I am not biased, well not entirely, anyway, I ran the NER stopping goods.  Starting off from Leyburn Junction it finally arrived at Grassington where it took the Grassington Curve from Crook Rise Junction on the line to Hanlith Junction.  This line forms the northern side of a triangle.  The other sides are Hanlith to Rylestone South Junction, then up the main Skipton to Leyburn line from Rylestone South to Crook Rise.  This triangle is used by locomotives too big to be accommodated on the turn table at Kirkby Malham., engines such as the Johnson Compound and the 700 class, both of which sport bogie "watercart" tenders.

So the North Eastern goods, hauled by a class P2 (later LNER class J26) arrives at Kirkby Malham, runs round and draws the wagons over the single slip into the yard, where, when the pics were taken, shunting was in progress.

I must, at this stage, apologise most humbly to the people in Airton, Winterburn, Kirkby Malham and Malham for putting a nasty, smelly dirty railway in their midst, when they might have been quite happy to stick with a daily stage coach with regular appearance of his Lordships motor car, his pride and joy,  after all we are in modern times of the year nineteen hundred and eight.

Derek

Derek - it is nice to see you get some running in after all the hard work.  Kevin.

• Like 1

Thanks Kevin, I have embarked on the locomotive cassettes. I thought it would be a quick job but is proving anything but. The problem at the moment is that my joints are feeling very sorry for themselves and objecting to being used. In fact they are very painful, so everything takes longer to do. Must be the weather.

Derek

Derek,

I do hope your joints feel better soon, Joanna my wife has noticed that the weather has been affecting hers - do you have anything to take for relief? You'll see by the time of this post that I have some issues with my sleep pattern!

Look forward to the next set as and when you feel up to it,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Derek,

I do hope your joints feel better soon, Joanna my wife has noticed that the weather has been affecting hers - do you have anything to take for relief? You'll see by the time of this post that I have some issues with my sleep pattern!

Look forward to the next set as and when you feel up to it,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thank you, Jock, yes, the weather does affect me quite badly. I have tried glucosamine but it does not seem to do any good. Paracetamol is my staple tipple, but I have an appointment at the surgery on Monday to see if there is anything else. I have, over the years, taken all sorts of potions, but all without results.

Really I have to "get on with it". and modelling railways helps a lot, in fact has been my salvation, and RMW has been a godsend.

I am fortunate to have Olga who is a real gem.

Derek

• RMweb Premium

Derek

I tried glucosamine and gave up - now trying a spoon of cinnamon in water which seems to be helping my tiredness but not my joints! (Too much rugby in my youth).

The layout is coming on well. If only Chapel was EM a visiting Midland Train would look nice!  may have to convince Nicktoix to bring some of his pre grouping stock along for a trundle.

Baz

Derek

I tried glucosamine and gave up - now trying a spoon of cinnamon in water which seems to be helping my tiredness but not my joints! (Too much rugby in my youth).

The layout is coming on well. If only Chapel was EM a visiting Midland Train would look nice!  may have to convince Nicktoix to bring some of his pre grouping stock along for a trundle.

Baz

Yes, Barry, "they" tell us to do sport and exercise. I did that all my life until my knees gave up on me. "They" don't tell you what the consequences may be.

I never regretted going EM (in 1959). I find it satisfying and the EM fellas are a great bunch.

Derek

• Like 1

Derek,

Glad you are going to see the quack in the hope that he comes up with a solution to the problem of the pain - it's difficult to concentrate when you've got extreme discomfort!

We will be thinking of you,

Kind regards,

Jock.