Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

• RMweb Gold

A new post is easier than editing.

There is an article on Midland station nameboards in Midland Record 14, pages 61 to 72.  This has text, plans and photos.  Some salient points below.

In summary - anything goes!

According to Transport,the 29th November issue 1895,  "The Midland Company has given instructions for station names to be placed on platform lamps and that all new name boards shall be double and joined at an angle and that where practicable they will be placed on posts on the platforms, clear of buildings on the side which trains enter.

Many photos show angled boards on the arrival ends and plain at the departure end, or plain at both ends, or nothing at the departure end.  Bakewell in 1910 had plain boards on the arrival ends on the platforms and angled at the departure ends.

In the article David Jenkinson suggests that there seems to have been a general provision of a board at the arrival end, sometimes angled.  Sometimes there was a board at the departure end as well.

The colours should be white letters on an ultramarine background but even that does not seem to be the case in some photographs in which the background appears very light. (Note by Malcolm Cross in the same article).

David

Edited for typos.

Edited by DaveF

Thank you very much Dave. I have a number of Midland Records and will look up the one you mentioned. Strange that I should not have thought of looking in that source of information. Perhaps it is because it is not in full view in my collection of books. Must remedy that.

Derek

• RMweb Gold

A new post is easier than editing.

There is an article on Midland station nameboards in Midland Record 14, pages 61 to 72.  This has text, plans and photos.  Some salient points below.

In summary - anything goes!

Bakewell in 1910 had plain boards on the arrival ends on the platforms and angled at the departure ends.

The colours should be white letters on an ultramarine background but even that does not seem to be the case in some photographs in which the background appears very light. (Note by Malcolm Cross in the same article).

It looks as thought there was inconsistency even at the same station, here's the 1910 photo of Bakewell, showing the angled 'departure' boards on the Down platform, with raised narrow lettering, and the flat 'arrival' board on the Up platform with flat lettering in a much broader font:

post-17302-0-22837400-1445798508_thumb.jpg

Copyright Stan Roberts Collection / Peak Rail Association - used with permission

However, this photo, taken "in the midland period" clearly shows angled boards at the approach end of the Down platform, as well...

post-17302-0-61020200-1445799277_thumb.jpg

Copyright Stan Roberts Collection / Peak Rail Association - used with permission

EDIT:

Just found this one in Stan's collection, it looks like a larger version of the above, and show there is apparently no board at the departure end of the Up platform - just the Stationmaster to wave to... :)

post-17302-0-51444600-1445799613_thumb.jpg

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 3

Kirkby Malham has been neglected for the last few days.  I have been finishing off the '0' gauge 2F for my youngest son and grandson.  It is driven by a big Mashima motor (1833 I think) and both loco and tender are beam compensated, and with pic ups on all twelve wheels, it goes along my bit of track as sweetly as a nut.

My son is building an '0' gauge layout using Peco track.  It is his first attempt.  So rather than stick the trackwork down, he is lightly pinning in place.  That way he will be able to try out the layout and make sure it is what he wants.  The space available is not lavish so I have built him an interlaced (three way) point to fit in.  It is of fairly tight radius but the 2F will take it easily.  It is my first essay into '0' gauge track building, so I really had to feel my way and use copper clad for the sleepering.  Because of the temporary nature of the layout, I have fitted point levers and microswitches, on extended sleepering,  making it a complete unit.  When it goes into a permanent layout, those levers and switches can be dispensed with and the sleepers cut down to size.

Anyway here are a few pics of the completed jobs.               Now (I hope) to get back to KM.

Derek

post-6110-0-64557900-1446414577_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-07142300-1446414605_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-00743900-1446414628_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-33602900-1446414660_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-35538000-1446414689_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 8

Evening Derek,

The usual superb workmanship we've come to expect from you - your son ought to be really happy with it! The loco is exceptional, I'm in awe of your skill,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Both the 2F and the point look excellent.  Kevin.

Sure am pleased!!

Looks fantastic Dad....looking forward to getting the track work as well, so I can get the basis of the layout sorted (maybe I should start a thread on here!!!!)

btw, do I need to get the local coal merchant to do me a delivery for when the 2F arrives.....? ;)

• Like 3

Hello again John, yes they are the ones, in my case those specified for '0' gauge. I wasn't too sure about them at first, they looked a bit plasticy, and so looked for some others, I was thinking about the old S&B metal ones. However I couldn't find any so used the Marcway ones. I need not have worried, they are fine.

Derek

Hello again John, yes they are the ones, in my case those specified for '0' gauge. I wasn't too sure about them at first, they looked a bit plasticy, and so looked for some others, I was thinking about the old S&B metal ones. However I couldn't find any so used the Marcway ones. I need not have worried, they are fine.

Derek

Hello Kes, thanks for the comments. I have just found your thread, Dave G told me. I found it really interesting. You have some good ideas going there and those points look good. Hope to see you Wednesday.

Derek

Hi Chris, yes, I hope the thing works. Certain household authorities got a bit fed up. with my point building. Must say that loco runs silky smooth.

Don't why you haven't started a thread yet, that station building you made is superb

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sure am pleased!!

Looks fantastic Dad....looking forward to getting the track work as well, so I can get the basis of the layout sorted (maybe I should start a thread on here!!!!)

btw, do I need to get the local coal merchant to do me a delivery for when the 2F arrives.....? ;)

Chris,

Yes and Yes, those Midland locos are horrible mucky inefficient things... and I can't believe he's painted it black after he tells me the right colour for a loco is some kind of red...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Obviously you are being suitably respectful, as all Midland men are required to be when discussing Great Things, for there is no black better than the deep, highly polished, "blackberry black" used in those famous workshops on the Cheshire Plain...

Which of course is just, well, it's just black isn't it, just the lining that makes it stand out, North Eastern black on the other hand...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, Jock.  It is built from a George Norton kit.  Anyone who knew George would expect his kits to "work"and this one went together so easily, with all the bits fitting together.

Derek

The Midland 2F was the first kit that Malcolm Crawley designed for George Norton. I spent several evenings with him, with me sitting at the bench modelling and him standing by the window working away on his ex railway drawing office board. No CAD going on there!

At the time, there was no thought of it ever being "shot up" to 7mm but I am glad that it seems to have gone OK.

I have a 7mm stashed away in my bottom drawer just in case.....

Lovely work as always!

Tony

• Like 1

Thank you for all your nice comments fellas.

Tony, I should have guessed you and Malcolm would have had something to do with George's kits. Malcolm was in my opinion the complete modeller, superb in everything he did.

The models that you produce are exceptional, I still think about 'Narrow Road Station' in EM. The station concourse was the best bit of modelling I think I have ever seen.

Simon, I have a great affection for the LNWR. My very first kit was a K's LNW coal tank. I bought it from the King Charles Model Centre in Leeds back in about 1955? and assembled it with Pafra, a glue recommended by the proprietor. The chassis was a solid block of white metal and it all took me a long time and a lot of effort to get it running.

That loco was sold a few years later when I had a short period modelling narrow gauge. Many years later, long after the demise of K's I found a coal tank body kit at a show, which I put together for 'old times sake'. Scratch built running gear was produced with beam compensation and it ran on our 00 layout for years. I used it at our club to test the track, as it was laid, on the new layout. It has now been passed to my youngest son together with all my 00 stuff for my grandson.

Derek

• Like 3

Thank you, Jock.  It is built from a George Norton kit.  Anyone who knew George would expect his kits to "work"and this one went together so easily, with all the bits fitting together.

Derek

What happened to George's range? I had an idea it was absorbed by London Road Models?

Steve

Afternoon Derek,

It's lovely to read that your 00 stuff has gone to your grandson - hopefully it will bring more young blood in to the hobby. I built a little 'roundy-roundy' 'N' gauge layout for my son many years ago, but he lost interest after we sent him to public school. My grandchildren have sadly shown little interest to date, but great grandson Freddie is mad about 'trains' at the age of four and a half so I've kept it for him in the hopes that he'll catch the bug when he's old enough. It has been covered up in the loft for around thirty five years, but amazingly just needs a tidy up, and I'll buy a new controller in the interests of safety!

Kind regards,

Jock.