CALEDONIAN SLEEPER - Class 67, Class 86, Class 87 and Class 92.

Hi,

I just saw 2 posts on facebook. One was a picture of a Class 86 in a new blue livery which I was told was for the Caledonian Sleeper. The second was a post that I saw on facebook and RMweb that said the new Caledonian Sleeper was going to use Class 92s.

Any images of the new Class 86s and Class 92s?

Cheers!

• RMweb Premium

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95924-caf-to-build-new-lhcs-for-caledonian-sleeper/page-8&do=findComment&comment=1787111 and post#199 below it for picture links..

87002 and 86401 are also to be painted. The 86/87's are destined for ECS movements.

Cheers,

Mick

I find it a bit strange that they need extra locos just for ECS workings. Seems like an expensive option.

Why can't they have a control vehicle (driving trailer) as was used for Royal Mail trains?

I believe those were very speed limited. Presumably the locos are available at a lowish price, compared to modifying something to be a control vehicle. Also you'd need to do some shunting to remove it before running the train in service anyway.

For the future it might be possible for the new build coaches to have a cab at the end of a rake, but it would probably need to meet all the current crash safety requirements and take up a lot of passenger space so not be worth it. Gone are the days when you could put a window in the end, have the controls in the passenger vestibule and give the driver a fold down seat

Well at least it kept 3 classic AC traction locomotives in the UK as without this contract I think they might have had to be sold or become static.

I think this demonstrates where privatisation can begin to offer options as you have several parties involved here offering different traction options allowing Serco to select the cheapest hence I read somewhere that DB have won back a short term contract to use the 67s undercutting the class 47 option.

Bit of low speed classic AC traction in London will be a welcome sight away from lines of Pendolinos and EMUs.

It should not need all the full crashworthiness kit if used at low speeds and with no passengers on board.

Although the train itself may be moving at low speed, other trains may not

Equally, the train could be used elsewhere in "shunting mode" and so has to meet the current requirements no matter where it is used on the network or permitted use for the route

87002 and 86401 are also to be painted. The 86/87's are destined for ECS movements.

The AC Group have advised that their locos will be available from Saturday morning through Sunday evening

This also presents the ideal opportunity to swap locos, depending on charter

However, I hope there is a contingency in place in the event of late running of the sleepers or their own working on the Sunday

Given 86101 is most likely to commence in Glasgow this might well see 86401 or 87002 work a charter to Glasgow, allowing one of the first swaps (if even required)

Why would 86101 be starting in Glasgow? are the locos to be used for ECS moves in Glasgow as well?

I thought the old locos were just being used for ECS moves between Wembley and Euston (with the Class 92s doing the bulk of the haul up the WCML)

• RMweb Premium

Why would 86101 be starting in Glasgow? are the locos to be used for ECS moves in Glasgow as well?

I thought the old locos were just being used for ECS moves between Wembley and Euston (with the Class 92s doing the bulk of the haul up the WCML)

ISTR that there's a Glasgow-Polmadie ECS move.

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Archived